News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Quo Vadis GOP?

Started by Syt, January 09, 2021, 07:46:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Quote from: Syt on April 25, 2023, 12:47:02 AMI mean the leaked text messages show that he knew he was spreading misinformation about election fraud and that he thought the Trump presidency was a desaster - would that affect his popularity amongst the far right?

His total dedication to the cause probably earns him some brownie points.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HVC

Did they acknowledge that on Fox News? If not their audience probably doesn't even know.

Now if he sues fix can bludgeon him with that fact.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Solmyr

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 24, 2023, 01:54:07 PMReminder: Tucker owns the DailyCaller, I'd assume he would use that as his platform?

Wiki says he was bought out of that in 2020.

garbon

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/3972939-disney-sues-desantis-alleging-harm-to-its-business/

QuoteDisney sues DeSantis, alleging harm to its business

The Walt Disney Company is suing Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) and other state officials, alleging that DeSantis is harming the company's business operations.

The lawsuit comes after months of Disney and DeSantis sparring over legislation that DeSantis has signed and steps the governor has taken to increase the state's control over Disney.

"A targeted campaign of government retaliation—orchestrated at every step by Governor DeSantis as punishment for Disney's protected speech—now threatens Disney's business operations, jeopardizes its economic future in the region, and violates its constitutional rights," the lawsuit states.

The lawsuit comes after the board that DeSantis appointed to oversee Disney voted Wednesday to void development contracts that Disney made.

Disney said in its complaint that the action from the board was the "latest strike" leading to the lawsuit.

DeSantis signed legislation at the end of February to end Disney's power over the Reedy Creek Improvement District, the 25,000 acres that Disney has owned and self-governed for decades. The law allowed DeSantis to appoint a board consisting of five members to govern the district.

The move came after Disney openly criticized Florida's Parental Rights in Education law, dubbed the "Don't Say Gay" bill by opponents. The law places restrictions on the discussion of sexual orientation and gender identity in public school classes from kindergarten to 12th grade.

Disney said it would work to repeal the law and vowed to "stand up for the rights and safety" for the LGBTQ community.

DeSantis began criticizing Disney soon after the company denounced the legislation, calling it an "unaccountable Corporate Kingdom" that had "extraordinary special privileges."

The Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, the board that DeSantis created to oversee Disney, was set to take over, but the members said last month the Reedy Creek district signed a last-minute agreement with Disney that gave it developmental authority over the parks.

The agreement led the DeSantis-appointed board to take action to try to declare the agreements void.

"This government action was patently retaliatory, patently anti-business, and patently unconstitutional," the complaint states. "But the Governor and his allies have made clear that they do not care and will not stop."

Taryn Fenske, the communications director for DeSantis, told The Hill in a statement that the lawsuit is "another unfortunate attempt" by Disney to try to "undermine the will of the Florida voters and operate outside the bounds of the law."

"We are unaware of any legal right that a company has to operate its own government or maintain special privileges not held by other businesses in the state," Fenske said.

The complaint states that the company "regrets" that it has been forced to turn to legal action but has no other choice. It said it has "exhausted efforts" to find a resolution to the conflict.

The lawsuit asks for the legislation exerting the state government's power over Disney to be nullified because it was enacted in retaliation for the company exercising its rights to free speech.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

HVC

The Empire Strikes Back.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

I'm honestly starting to think the Disney thing is becoming a major albatross. Chiefly because other Republicans, most importantly Trump, but also Chris Christie and Nikki Haley, are using it to bludgeon him. He's being called anti-business etc and by the sort of attackers who can do real harm to DeSantis's standing in the GOP with the base.

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 26, 2023, 03:35:02 PMI'm honestly starting to think the Disney thing is becoming a major albatross. Chiefly because other Republicans, most importantly Trump, but also Chris Christie and Nikki Haley, are using it to bludgeon him. He's being called anti-business etc and by the sort of attackers who can do real harm to DeSantis's standing in the GOP with the base.

Yeah, it's not my impression that GOP core voters hate Disney particularly, or that they're against big business having special privilege. Makes sense that internal opponents would use de Santis' anti-Disney stance against him.

Tonitrus

Feeling more certain about my prediction that DeSantis will not run.

grumbler

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2023, 08:24:26 PMFeeling more certain about my prediction that DeSantis will not run.

Dunno.  He's leaning pretty heavily into the Death Cult and we all know he's too smart to actually believe the verbal diarrhea pouring out of his mouth.  If he's not running, why is he acting the crazy man?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Minsky Moment

The original Disney fight seemed like a well calculated move to show his culture war bona fides and "independence" from traditional GOP Chamber of Commerce conservatism.  But the logical move after that was to let the matter settle down with token concessions, which Disney was clearly willing to provide.  Instead, he has escalated in a way that has made him look incompetent, and on an issue that has limited valence to the culture warriors.  It doesn't suggest to me that he isn't running, but it does show cracks in political judgment and reinforces the sense that he is Not Ready for Prime Time.  I.e. more like Scott Walker II rather than New and Improved Trump.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

de Santis seems to be pulling these pages from the Orban playbook a few chapters too soon.

celedhring

Quote from: HVC on April 26, 2023, 03:01:33 PMThe Empire Strikes Back.

I'd love it if the "corporations are people" bullshit comes to bite back the GOP.

Even though this is very much an Aliens vs Predator scenario.

Hamilcar

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2023, 01:01:43 AM

I'd love it if the "corporations are people" bullshit comes to bite back the GOP.

Even though this is very much an Aliens vs Predator scenario.

Indeed. If money = speech, then Disney has a WHOLE LOT of speech.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tonitrus on April 26, 2023, 08:24:26 PMFeeling more certain about my prediction that DeSantis will not run.
Agree - I've also heard his voice and the man has no chance.
Let's bomb Russia!

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on April 27, 2023, 01:01:43 AM

More like states shall not impair contracts bullshit.
The Mouse is going to 1776 this shit on them.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson