News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The China Thread

Started by Jacob, September 24, 2012, 05:27:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://www.defense.gov/News/News-Stories/Article/Article/3288543/f-22-safely-shoots-down-chinese-spy-balloon-off-south-carolina-coast/

Quote[...]

The official said Chinese balloons briefly transited the continental United States at least three times during the prior administration.

[...]

Weird we never heard about that. :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2023, 01:07:53 AMWell apparently it's been going on for a while, so it may have worked okay. Basically it's a low cost alternative to a spy-satellite.
Also I could be wrong but presumably they can also normally go higher than jets (but obviously wtihin the atmosphere) because they can be a lot lighter?
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

How high does national airspace reach?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2023, 06:01:32 AMHow high does national airspace reach?

all the way to the nine dashed cloud?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2023, 01:17:34 AMYeah, I can see how it's cost effective.  Radio the data back, write off the balloon.

The radio transmitter, power supply, and antenna are going to be major weight burdens given that this balloon would have to transit in the high frequency spectrum to get the data back to anywhere.

I think that it may have been just a collect and store system until it got back to within UHF range of China.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

HVC

Another balloon shot over the Yukon.  Guess the new Chinese weatherman isn't any better then the last one.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: The Brain on February 05, 2023, 06:01:32 AMHow high does national airspace reach?

"Outer space" which is not clearly defined under international law.
However, the PRC balloon was clearly within the limit however defined.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

The central government has recently cut medical expense accounts by 2/3rds (essentially the money is used to access family doctor equivalent services and purchase medicine and other things at pharmacies). Additionally reforms have moved certain treatments and consultations to hospitals (more expensive) and removed the coverage of certain medicines previously covered.

This has led to groups of seniors - not typically thought of as a segment prone to anti-government manifestations - to gather and protest the government (by singing "the Internationale") in Wuhan and Daliang.

https://twitter.com/fangshimin/status/1625927064351289344?t=ivqyad1pV8J2GNj_1MBxLA&s=19

https://twitter.com/whyyoutouzhele/status/1625814616856035328?t=9LRtN5hjKwHyhIfrhDpvtg&s=19

Sheilbh

So Xi was unanimously re-elected on 10 March. I saw (via Adam Tooze) that apparently Chinese social media was flooded with a picture of another Chinese leader who also took office on 10 March: Yuan Shikai :lol: :ph34r:

Always impressed by the mad inventiveness of Chinese netizens.
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4DKz2Yn_As

Chinese Karen starts at 3:54.

One anomaly of Chinese authoritarianism is how much shit Chinese cops take from citizens.

DGuller

I'm not sure it's an anomaly.  Soviet cops legally had to take a lot of shit from citizens as well.  Of course, once you were in environment controlled by them, you were liable to get some extralegal treatment, followed by emergency medical or mortician treatment.

garbon

Polygon had an article on what would happen if TikTok is banned by the US. Comments have a pretty strong contingent of those noting that it is xenophobia and America is worse than China.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Josquius

What I'm not getting is how western money isn't chasing the obvious opening of tiktok without the dictatorship.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on March 24, 2023, 05:20:00 AMWhat I'm not getting is how western money isn't chasing the obvious opening of tiktok without the dictatorship.

We overstate the importance of tiktok. Youtube got that market cornered really.

Tiktok should be banned.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.