News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2023, 11:51:59 AMLooks like MLS is going the Apple Plus route to watch on TV. You need Apple + and a separate subscription to MLS ($100 for the season)
This will kill the casual viewer.

That's not correct.

QuoteThe service is available on any device that runs Apple's TV app, from Apple's Macs, iPads, and iPhones to smart TVs, streaming boxes, or other companies' game consoles. It's priced at $14.99 per month or $99 per season, but existing Apple TV+ subscribers can pay $12.99 per month or $79 per season instead.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2023/02/apples-major-league-soccer-streaming-service-launches-today/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on February 01, 2023, 11:52:54 AMChelsea being Chelsea they have a habit of making a profit off players that they sign for a few million and more or less never play a first team game.

QuoteIn other news, looks like Canadian coach Herdmann is off to his home country to coach New Zealand.
:unsure:
He's going to be coaching New Zealand from Co. Durham?

Yeah - he worked in New Zealand for awhile, but is from England.

That seems like a surprising move from Herdman, as coaching New Zealand's national team sounds a lateral move at best.

Doing some googling - his 18 year old son plays soccer, most recently for New Zealand U-19s.  Perhaps he wants the chance to coach his son?

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/sport/2023/02/football-canada-s-john-herdman-emerges-as-leading-candidate-for-all-whites-head-coaching-role.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josephus

10 year deal worth millions, yes
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on February 01, 2023, 11:51:59 AMLooks like MLS is going the Apple Plus route to watch on TV. You need Apple + and a separate subscription to MLS ($100 for the season)

TSN will still broadcast games. They also return to RDS in french.

There will be free games on Apple Tv every week.

Apple TVs baseball broadcast are pretty good and if the MLS ones are anything close casual fans might actually benefit more than what The Studio Network can offer.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Tamas

Impressive and promising Chelsea spending spree. Now all is left is to find a coach.

Josephus

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 01, 2023, 10:25:23 PM

Apple TVs baseball broadcast are pretty good and if the MLS ones are anything close casual fans might actually benefit more than what The Studio Network can offer.

TSN can broadcast one Canadian team a week. So if you, for instance, like Montreal, you will likely (although I haven't seen their schedule) only see one of every three games on TV. So that's not really great.

My main point though is that, particularly in the States, where there isn't any linear TV games, I can't see how this will help grow what is an already niche sport. It can work for baseball because baseball has a huge audience, and still has linear TV rights. I get that MLS will make huge money from this and make the club owners happy for now...but what's going to happen in 10 years when the deal ends, and viewership is minimal? We shall see. I'll get back to you in 2033.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2023, 06:56:13 AM

TSN can broadcast one Canadian team a week. So if you, for instance, like Montreal, you will likely (although I haven't seen their schedule) only see one of every three games on TV. So that's not really great.

My main point though is that, particularly in the States, where there isn't any linear TV games, I can't see how this will help grow what is an already niche sport. It can work for baseball because baseball has a huge audience, and still has linear TV rights. I get that MLS will make huge money from this and make the club owners happy for now...but what's going to happen in 10 years when the deal ends, and viewership is minimal? We shall see. I'll get back to you in 2033.

Civis Romanus Sum

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on February 02, 2023, 06:56:13 AM

1 in 3 is much better than most teams over here get.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

These aren't most teams tho, it's the top North American league.

Montreal doesn't have a team. Some asshole owner made it disappear.  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:

Josquius

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2023, 07:20:21 AMThese aren't most teams tho, it's the top North American league.

Montreal doesn't have a team. Some asshole owner made it disappear.  :mad:  :mad:  :mad:
Most premier league teams too.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josquius on February 02, 2023, 08:51:49 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 02, 2023, 07:20:21 AMThese aren't most teams tho, it's the top North American league.

Most premier league teams too.

Wow. You guys need more tv networks.

FunkMonk

Quote from: Tamas on February 02, 2023, 04:00:23 AMImpressive and promising Chelsea spending spree. Now all is left is to find a coach.

Chelsea.txt  :D
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Sheilbh

Premier League referring loads of alleged breaches by City to a commission appointed by their judicial panel. I've no idea what any of this means but it seems serious:
https://www.premierleague.com/news/3045970

Although also a little bit locking the stable doors after the horse has bolted and won the Grand National :hmm:

Edit: And Premier League rules don't allow for an appeal to CAS which is how Man City overturned their UEFA breach.
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Over 100 specific charges oh my days  :D

Everyone knew they were cooking the books but this is flagrant.

Liam is taking this normally though

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1622553067244646401?t=DULYv0BhdCoUA3YTuTXAMA&s=19
QuoteThe Premier league are BIG BULLYS Investigate 1 Investigate them all you shower of shit

City's 11 other fans will be devastated though :lmfao:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 06, 2023, 07:22:44 AMOver 100 specific charges oh my days  :D

Everyone knew they were cooking the books but this is flagrant.

Liam is taking this normally though

https://twitter.com/liamgallagher/status/1622553067244646401?t=DULYv0BhdCoUA3YTuTXAMA&s=19
QuoteThe Premier league are BIG BULLYS Investigate 1 Investigate them all you shower of shit

City's 11 other fans will be devastated though :lmfao:

City really don't want to see rules start being applied fairly or they'll soon find themselves with a hefty points deduction at best.
██████
██████
██████