News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Luckily I read on Grogheads that a German preview listed that you'd like KoH2 if -among other things- you aren't looking for a big challenge. Which I am reading as codeword for the game having either too simplistic mechanics or bad AI or both. This should help prevent me from buying it, even with the Vic3 patch being an unexpected disaster.

Syt

I saw a review calling it "Crusader Kings Lite" ... :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2022, 07:52:56 AMI saw a review calling it "Crusader Kings Lite" ... :D

CK3 is already CK2 Lite, I am not really looking to go lighter than that. :)

Then again I expect it doesn't have the pointless-event spam CK3 does sometime...  :hmm:

Syt

CK3 can be spammy, but it has nothing on V3's trade notifications and IG bonus trait activation/deactivations. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on December 06, 2022, 09:17:54 AMCK3 can be spammy, but it has nothing on V3's trade notifications and IG bonus trait activation/deactivations. :P

At least those are not pop-ups. :P

Habbaku

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2022, 07:45:34 AMIt's one of those experiences that come out once every few years or so. :)

:yes: It's a great narrative and a truly unique experience in so many ways. I'm probably going to replay it soon and go with one of the less-savory paths.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: Tamas on December 06, 2022, 07:42:03 AMLuckily I read on Grogheads that a German preview listed that you'd like KoH2 if -among other things- you aren't looking for a big challenge. Which I am reading as codeword for the game having either too simplistic mechanics or bad AI or both. This should help prevent me from buying it, even with the Vic3 patch being an unexpected disaster.

I am going to give some gameplay vids a good watch, but the Andy's Take channel on YouTube gave a pretty positive review of it.

Seems like if you're looking for a greater challenge, you go for multiplayer...which I intend on if the game's good.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Tamas

Thanks, listening to Andy's Take, but he sounds a bit too gushing, like how a great invention is to only be able to assault cities when their defense is down to 50%... forgetting how in CK3/EU4 you need breaches to do the same.

Syt

I like Andy, but I think he can be a bit too positive, even for someone like me. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

For me it comes down to how twitchy the RTS component is. I don't mind CK3 lite, if I still have time to consider and make interesting strategic and tactical decisions.

Tamas

This guy is saying he loved KoH1 and KoH2 is nothing more than a graphical remaster of that, stuck way too much in 15 years ago and unable to compete in today's grand strategy market:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNB3Vahk7c0&t=2s

Jacob

I don't mind games that are a redo of a good game from 15 years ago. Plenty of good games 15 years ago.

Now, I don't know if KoH was good back then, so I don't know....

Solmyr

I watched the Andy's Take video, but putting "Total War/Paradox killer" on the thumbnail kinda destroyed its credibility.  :lol:

garbon

My recall from having played it when it debuted was that KoH was pretty forgettable and indeed I forgot about it till this recent set of posts.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on December 07, 2022, 08:37:37 AMMy recall from having played it when it debuted was that KoH was pretty forgettable and indeed I forgot about it till this recent set of posts.

Same.