News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What did you play in 2022?

Started by Syt, December 03, 2022, 11:51:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: FunkMonk on December 03, 2022, 05:18:55 PMPlayed a lot of ARPGs... Path, Diablo, Grim Dawn, Last Epoch. All variations on a theme. Will always have a couple of these on my hard drive.

I keep trying Grim Dawn once a year or so (including this year), but I always tire of it so very quickly. Even when I go into it with a mindset of playing it more like a "normal" ARPG (as opposed to the PoE screen explosion clickfest) and paying attention to lore, mechanics etc., it just never clicks for me. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

frunk

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2022, 07:45:05 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on December 03, 2022, 05:18:55 PMPlayed a lot of ARPGs... Path, Diablo, Grim Dawn, Last Epoch. All variations on a theme. Will always have a couple of these on my hard drive.

I keep trying Grim Dawn once a year or so (including this year), but I always tire of it so very quickly. Even when I go into it with a mindset of playing it more like a "normal" ARPG (as opposed to the PoE screen explosion clickfest) and paying attention to lore, mechanics etc., it just never clicks for me. :D

The problem for me on Grim Dawn is how much junk I have collected from previous plays, and the difficulty of sorting through it.  Each time I play I think "I have a character that has the perfect item for this new character.  Can I remember who it was?", then I shuffle through a couple dozen characters with only a 50/50 shot of finding it.  I think it would really benefit from the seasons structure that other ARPGs adopt.  For a while I even played hardcore just so my inventory/character base would be pruned.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2022, 07:43:22 AM
Quote from: Josquius on December 05, 2022, 05:55:50 AMHades EXCELLENT. One of the best things ever.
Bastion Meh.

Do you think you would have liked Bastion better if you had played it first when it came out? I agree Hades is a much better game, but the basics (outside story) feel like a very refined version of Bastion to me. Though the narrator in Bastion was fun.

Alternatively it might have put me off ever trying Hades.
Bastion...I think I would have liked it 20+ years ago but when it came out...it just feels so clunky, even for that time.
Yes, the narrator is good.
██████
██████
██████

Crazy_Ivan80

Rimworld: it is just so very, very good.
Victoria 3: dabbled in it a bit, waiting for the patch
Crusader Kings 3: Deus Vult!
Old World: Now this is a combat focused Civ game. Enjoyable, but the city-rush is not that convincing.
Wing Commander: What's there to say.
X-Wing Alliance - Tie Fighter remake: Sweet, but I'm not as fast as I used to be.
X-Com: 95% and still missing that shot to the face!
Xenonauts: Old school x-com
Bannerlords: enjoyable but it makes my PC run a bit hot
Songs of Syx: Citybuild with massive armies
Halo: Let's finish the fight.
Hearts of Iron 4: Let's play Germany again cause I'm scared of all the other countries.
Doom: Don't play when dark
Halcyon 6: enjoyable little gem.
Battle Brothers: A very enjoyable big gem. A must play.
Factorio: melts my brain.
Space Haven: still needs a lot of work, could be something
Per Aspera: I enjoyed that one for the story and the logistics
Ace Combat 7: Buy cheap! Fun enough.
Anno 1800: Enjoyable citybuilder and logistics simulator. Combat is anno. Looks so nice
Dyson Sphere Program: Factorio, but 3D and using an entire cluster of stars. Still a work in progress, but already melts my brain. Damn good.
Lord of the Rings Online: Lifetime subscription...
Nebuchadnezzar: Caesar 3 but in Mesopotamia, still work in progress
Odd Realm: mhh
Phoenix Point: Better than I expected, buy cheap but worth your time
Project Wingman: Surprise hit!
Star Wars Squadrons: Looks good, no X-wing though
Battlefield 3 & 4: Had some fun multiplayer there
Titanfall 2: The steam reviews are not wrong! Short but good single play, buy on sale!
Wildermyth: interesting concept
Battletech: for all your stomping needs

FunkMonk

Quote from: frunk on December 05, 2022, 09:38:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on December 05, 2022, 07:45:05 AM

The problem for me on Grim Dawn is how much junk I have collected from previous plays, and the difficulty of sorting through it.  Each time I play I think "I have a character that has the perfect item for this new character.  Can I remember who it was?", then I shuffle through a couple dozen characters with only a 50/50 shot of finding it.  I think it would really benefit from the seasons structure that other ARPGs adopt.  For a while I even played hardcore just so my inventory/character base would be pruned.

There is a league or seasons mod for Grim Dawn that I was playing recently. Not a huge community, maybe a few hundred people.

https://www.grimleague.com/#/
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Skyrim and lots of it. Though I think I finally had my fill, stopping mid year or so. Mostly because I can't be bothered to update and troubleshoot mods anymore.

The Old World - really enjoyed it, but I think I'm done for now. Tried to start a couple of games recently, and it didn't catch. This is probably the only game I didn't also play in 2021.

Oriental Kingdoms - fired it up again for another playthrough. I enjoy the pacing and mechanics, though it feels very much like a last-gen game.

CK3 - recently got back into it again and am in the midst of what may be my first "paint the map" playthrough in either CK2 or CK3. I may start trying out mods after this (saw a recommendation of one that hides stats unless your character has a way to know them, which could be good for RP).

Also played some Minecraft, Warriors of Hyrule, and Luigi's Mansion with the oldest kid.

I dabbled in a few other games as well, but if I played less than 10 minutes I won't list them....

Darth Wagtaros

I had trouble getting into any games. I played a bit of Stellaris.  I played a lot of the classic Master of Magic.  But beyond that, I couldn't enjoy anything. Even those I did play were more to have something to do and I found it all vaguely frustrating.

Hopefully 2023 will be better.
PDH!

The Minsky Moment

OOTP 23
Replay Baseball PC
Action PC football
Hades
Vic 3
Dwarf Fortress
Dabbled in Command Modern Ops
Various console games kids play
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josephus

So according to Steam.
HOI III 37 per cent
FM21 25 per cent
CIV VI 13 per cent
CKIII 12 per cent
Vic III 9 per cent

Strangely I think I don't like HOI much, but I picked up a five month DLC subscription so I played it a lot between May and October.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Yeah, for me it was:
CK3 - 24%
Vic3 - 24%
Path of Exile - 23%
Elden Ring - 5%
Old World - 3%

Mind you, that's out of about 1100h of gaming (on Steam, anyways ... :blush: ). And I barely played anything before May when I fell back into Path of Exile.  :ph34r:  Apparently I launched 113 different games this year, which puts me into the "top" 0.3% of players.  :Embarrass:

Seems these are the games I played for more than 1 hour this year (extrapolated from the "First Played This Year" hours of some games and the % they represent of total playtime):

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

frunk

PoE: 17%
KSP: 15%
TMNF: 8%
Ozymandias: 8%
Vampire Survivors: 5%

Ozymandias is the big surprise, since I only started playing in October.

Josquius

Steam is 46% CK3 for me, all in Oct/Nov. :lol:
Shows how little games I've been playing and how much my gaming has been on the switch.
██████
██████
██████

Zanza

Where do I see that in Steam?

I guess I mainly played Paradox games, probably EU4, Stellaris, Victoria, CK3 in that order. I guess besides that I played Cities: Skylines and Anno 1800. Not sure if I played any Civ 6 this year.

Josephus

Scary thing is I played something for some 155 days in a row.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Zanza on December 29, 2022, 12:52:28 PMWhere do I see that in Steam?

In the Steam store under "New and Noteworthy" in the top menu.
—Stephen Jay Gould