News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Elon Musk: Always A Douche

Started by garbon, July 15, 2018, 07:01:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Yeah if someone claims this is exclusively a left problem we should definitely note that...
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2022, 04:38:03 PMYeah if someone claims this is exclusively a left problem we should definitely note that...

Maybe you could post a few stories of right wing "cancellations", it might be interesting for you to research since you only seem to consume information that talks about left wing ones? It shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

Berkut

Are you asking me if I think there is or is not a similar and even worse problem with intolerance for divergent views on the right?

I am happy to simply state outright that it is MUCH worse on the right. It is one of the many reasons I am not part of the modern right, and despair of ever changing their viewpoint. 

They are the people we need to beat. Taking about everything they do wrong isn't really that interesting or useful. 

0 rows returned

Berkut

Your reponse here is basically just an ad hom. My personal viewpoint is irrelevant to the argument. 

Frankly I don't think that's a very interesting discussion. 

0 rows returned

OttoVonBismarck

I was just asking you to contribute a few examples of conservative cancel culture because I think it could a) help you understand the issue better and b) make for a more balanced discussion, and because I think it would be a lot more productive for actually having a discussion for you to do the leg work than for me to post it, because it pushes you to actually look at something with some nuance. Are you saying you aren't interested in having a nuanced discussion about the topic?

Berkut

I don't think conservative cancel culture adds any nuance to the discussion (as I have already said that it is much worse), I think you are just trying to turn this into something personal. I could not care less about finding examples of conservative cancel culture we both know exists. If you think trotting them out is "balanced", knock yourself out.

0 rows returned

Admiral Yi

Here are my controversial positions on woke culture.  If you would like, please feel free to reason with me and show me how I am wrong.

1.  Transgender M-F might not belong in women's sports.

2.  Transgender might be trendy, and not heartfelt.

3.  It might start too young.

4.  I want to reserve the right to criticize members of protected classes (such as blacks, women, and gays) based on their characters.

5.  I want the right to talk race tinged smack with people that are cool with it.

6.  I don't want to be dictated to.  I don't want the reason that is used in an effort to persuade me be "because I said so."  That's mostly directed at Grab On.  I'm an independent moral actor who gets to choose my own moral principles.

Razgovory

There are similarities between Yi's list of proscribed opinions and my own.  Except I'm not an independent moral actor.  I am a p-zombie. :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Eddie Teach

I am an independent immoral actor.  :menace:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 26, 2022, 11:53:16 PMHere are my controversial positions on woke culture.  If you would like, please feel free to reason with me and show me how I am wrong.

1.  Transgender M-F might not belong in women's sports.

2.  Transgender might be trendy, and not heartfelt.

3.  It might start too young.

4.  I want to reserve the right to criticize members of protected classes (such as blacks, women, and gays) based on their characters.

5.  I want the right to talk race tinged smack with people that are cool with it.

6.  I don't want to be dictated to.  I don't want the reason that is used in an effort to persuade me be "because I said so."  That's mostly directed at Grab On.  I'm an independent moral actor who gets to choose my own moral principles.

Most of this feels like a different topic, right? These are largely trans issues not "woke" culture issues. You appear to only have a narrow range of topics you care about being "not canceled" for, which like Berkut seems to ignore the many areas of culture where you get canceled for violating right wing ideals. Is the issue that people have the ability to retaliate at you for what you say, or is it just a narrow range of LGBT and racial commentary that primarily the left objects to, that you really want to be able to talk about, and there is no larger free speech principle involved?

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2022, 10:02:38 PMI don't think conservative cancel culture adds any nuance to the discussion (as I have already said that it is much worse), I think you are just trying to turn this into something personal. I could not care less about finding examples of conservative cancel culture we both know exists. If you think trotting them out is "balanced", knock yourself out.

So would you say it is fair that you are only interested in talking about "cancel culture" stuff that you post about? And which as far as I can tell is basically the same set of cancel culture topics promoted by Fox News and right wing social media?

Berkut

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 27, 2022, 12:42:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on November 26, 2022, 10:02:38 PMI don't think conservative cancel culture adds any nuance to the discussion (as I have already said that it is much worse), I think you are just trying to turn this into something personal. I could not care less about finding examples of conservative cancel culture we both know exists. If you think trotting them out is "balanced", knock yourself out.

So would you say it is fair that you are only interested in talking about "cancel culture" stuff that you post about? And which as far as I can tell is basically the same set of cancel culture topics promoted by Fox News and right wing social media?
You just demanded that *I* post about right wing cancel culture, then ask if I only want to talk about things I post about?

You seem to be the one who wants to talk about right wing cancel culture - knock yourself out.

I think it is fair to say you want to engage in personal attacks and argumentative bullshit.

0 rows returned

Tamas

Yeah the thing with that cancel culture thing is that it seems like small isolated cases. Perhaps there's an unpleasant trend but nothing that is a systemic risk to the political system.

What seems far more prominent is the putting of these cases on their flags by reactionaries to justify their fight against discrimination and democracy.

Zanza

Not sure what the context is, but a quite obvious dogwhistle.

The Larch

Quote from: Zanza on November 27, 2022, 01:05:07 PM

Not sure what the context is, but a quite obvious dogwhistle.

:bleeding:

More interesting "engagement" from Musk.