The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

That Pentiment game is on Game pass. It seems pretty cool  :cool:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Probably of little interest to anyone but me and Tamas, I think? :D

WDS have released a new Panzer Campaigns title, Rumyantsev '43. It's their first PzC title to have the new 4.01 interface (mostly just updated menu buttons, some engine upgrades), but it introduces a QoL feature I've long wished for in their games.

Usually they have a "Fast AI" mode, where the enemy AI's turn is run at max speed to keep waiting time between turns down. However, during a player's turn, that speed was not available. What that meant was that turns could be excruciatingly slow, because every time you move a unit in the vicinity of enemies there's a chance of reaction fire to whatever you do. And in some cases that can be 3, 4, 5, 6 different units attacking the one you just moved, all resolving at default speed. If you do any kind of scenario that has a larger number of units in contact with each other ... you spend a lot of time watching this kind reaction fire.

The new updates FINALLY make it so you can run your own turns at faster speeds (can speed up in increments or fastest), meaning it cuts down tremendously on the time needed to play scenarios if you wish :lol: The update will be rolled out for all PzC titles in December.

They also released a new demo for Modern Air War, and a free Little Big Horn game, run on the Early American Wars engine.

You can find all their current demos here:

https://wargameds.com/collections/game-demos-wds
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Nice one! I'll try it when they patch the other games.

Syt

Medieval 2: Total War has been ported to iOS and Android. :P

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

FunkMonk

My brother gifted me a Steam Deck for Christmas early because he figured they would be difficult to get. Lo and behold they're back to being unavailable until January so I guess he was right.

Funny thing is this is the second Steam Deck sent to me. The first one my brother ordered was actually stolen by the delivery driver. Valve offered to send another one, this time to a FedEx facility instead of my house, and now I'm the proud owner of a handheld gaming PC.

I've only played around with it since I picked it up last night but it seems handy so far. It's like a souped-up Nintendo Switch that play almost anything and, because it's basically a handheld laptop, I can hook it up to a monitor or TV and use it as a computer lol

Josquius

I am increasingly tempted by them. Tried anything super high res like cyberpunk?
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on November 24, 2022, 10:38:35 AMI am increasingly tempted by them. Tried anything super high res like cyberpunk?

Not yet.

I also plan on using it as a platform to stream games so Cyberpunk will be at its highest settings with RTX on

FunkMonk

The trackpad on the Steam Deck is quite the tactile. It has haptic feedback and kind of "feels" like a mouse.

Want to try Victoria 3 with this thing on the couch  :D

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 25, 2022, 07:35:31 AMThe trackpad on the Steam Deck is quite the tactile. It has haptic feedback and kind of "feels" like a mouse.

Funk, that is quite interesting, do you think one could use it for occasional pc gaming, so replacing the need for a gaming rig, as I'm the sort of person who is likely to play pc/steam games for only a handful of hours per month/season?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2022, 07:49:38 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on November 25, 2022, 07:35:31 AMThe trackpad on the Steam Deck is quite the tactile. It has haptic feedback and kind of "feels" like a mouse.

Funk, that is quite interesting, do you think one could use it for occasional pc gaming, so replacing the need for a gaming rig, as I'm the sort of person who is likely to play pc/steam games for only a handful of hours per month/season?

I mean, it's a PC just in a handheld form factor, yeah. It has a 'Desktop mode' that you can switch to for a windows-like environment. It uses Valve's own SteamOS, which is based on Linux. But if you're looking for an everyday PC you have to be comfortable in Linux.

I have a USB-C dock that I connect it to. I hook up my keyboard, monitor, and mouse and it's basically a little PC. I did that when I set it up so I could run some lines in the command prompt to set up Game Pass cloud gaming via the Edge web browser.

It's not a super gaming PC but it gets the job done. Can play AAA games and indies just fine. Games that aren't 'verified' by Valve as suitable for Deck often have user setting you can search for that make the game playable on the Deck. You can easily tweak graphic settings in each game because it's a PC, and you can also set hardware options on the Deck itself that can lengthen the battery time.

mongers

Quote from: FunkMonk on November 25, 2022, 08:05:48 AM
Quote from: mongers on November 25, 2022, 07:49:38 AM

I mean, it's a PC just in a handheld form factor, yeah. It has a 'Desktop mode' that you can switch to for a windows-like environment. It uses Valve's own SteamOS, which is based on Linux. But if you're looking for an everyday PC you have to be comfortable in Linux.

I have a USB-C dock that I connect it to. I hook up my keyboard, monitor, and mouse and it's basically a little PC. I did that when I set it up so I could run some lines in the command prompt to set up Game Pass cloud gaming via the Edge web browser.

It's not a super gaming PC but it gets the job done. Can play AAA games and indies just fine. Games that aren't 'verified' by Valve as suitable for Deck often have user setting you can search for that make the game playable on the Deck. You can easily tweak graphic settings in each game because it's a PC, and you can also set hardware options on the Deck itself that can lengthen the battery time.

Thank you for the thorough reply, Funk, that sounds like the near ideal device or me. :cheers:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

FunkMonk

FunkMonk

I was able to set up remote streaming between my PS4 and the Steam Deck so I can play Ghost of Tsushima and Spiderman while, next to me on the couch, my wife watches White Lotus on the TV  :)

I've also set up Moonlight so I can stream Red Dead Redemption 2 on max graphics from my gaming PC to my Deck.

This is too much :lol:

Razgovory

Bought Oxygen not included.  Game is kind of complicated and I'm still learning.  First thing I did was tunnel into a water pocket because I thought it was oxygen.  My peeps got hypothermia from standing in waist-high water.   :(  I need to read the wiki.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Iormlund

Playing Darktide open beta.

First impressions:
  • As one would expect, it plays just as a 40k version of Vermintide (or Warhammer Left4Dead for those who have not played the former). Which is a good thing, since Vermintide was really fun.
  • Bugs! Had about one crash per 2 missions.
  • Only 4 classes. And they don't have subclasses like Vermintide did.