News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

I like the added stoppage. The endless time wasting is so grating. I think the next steps will be more liberal use of yellow cards for time wasting.

Portugal got lucky today. If Ghana decided to attack earlier in the game, they would have been toast. Also a very weak penalty call.

Valmy

Yugoslavia beat Brazil back in the 1930 World Cup but never beat them again in all the nine matches they would play until Yugoslavia ended in 2002 or so with the independence of Montenegro. And now Serbia has a two match losing streak of its own.

Can Serbia break its 11 match winless streak? The world needs to know.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Barrister

I'm normally allergic to rooting for favourites, but by families ties I am obliged to root for Brazil in international soccer.

I'll admit it's much easier to do so when they play a country like Serbia.  :menace:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Zoupa on November 24, 2022, 01:20:45 PMI like the added stoppage. The endless time wasting is so grating. I think the next steps will be more liberal use of yellow cards for time wasting.

Portugal got lucky today. If Ghana decided to attack earlier in the game, they would have been toast. Also a very weak penalty call.

If Ghana decided to attack earlier, Portugal would have Fernando Santos' dream scenario: playing counter. Maybe they should have, they seem to have the means.
As for the weak penalty call, Ronaldo was denied a goal following a comparable challenge. Double standards, but not necessarily in the Selecção's favor.

Still, bad coaching by Fernando Santos, except for Leão. Too many defensive midfielders and still a Ghanean goal just afterwards. Gone are the days of substituting an attacking midfielder by a 9...

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 01:05:17 PMYay and all, but they're in trouble with such a poor defense, without Pepe.

Fixed!

HVC

Did he piss off Santos, or just not up to shape to start?
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

The Larch

Apparently there's a bit of a "war of the armbands" going on at the luxury boxes of the stadiums, after yesterday a German minister wore the One Love armband there.

Today Qataris were seen in the stands wearing Pro-Palestine armbands.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 02:11:30 PMBudweiser to ship unsold beer to the winning country

https://globalnews.ca/news/9302378/unsold-world-cup-beer-budweiser/
:yucky:
Winning country is supposed to receive a gift, not a punishment.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 02:01:12 PMDid he piss off Santos, or just not up to shape to start?

Recovering from an injury. Too soon to return, probably.

HVC

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on November 24, 2022, 02:17:53 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 02:11:30 PMBudweiser to ship unsold beer to the winning country

Free is free :P

Actually, does France have a beer culture?

Gups

Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 02:26:47 PM

In the north, certainly. Lots of good Alsatian beers

The Larch

Once again proving that Alsatians are Germans that speak funny.  :P

Zanza

Quote from: The Larch on November 24, 2022, 02:12:37 PMApparently there's a bit of a "war of the armbands" going on at the luxury boxes of the stadiums, after yesterday a German minister wore the One Love armband there.

Today Qataris were seen in the stands wearing Pro-Palestine armbands.

Is being pro-Palestine particularly controversial? Certainly not for a German government minister as favoring a two state solution is official policy here.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Gups on November 24, 2022, 02:38:35 PM
Quote from: HVC on November 24, 2022, 02:26:47 PM

In the north, certainly. Lots of good Alsatian beers

North and East to be precise, though it was implied with the reference to Alsatian beers.

HVC

North means close to Belgium, as in Lille.  :P