News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

In case you need something to discuss over Thanksgiving dinner. :)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

They didn't ask about weapons manufacturers?  :P

It's "fun" to see how Republicans despise all the usual suspects (Higher education, education in general, news media, entertainment...).

Also funny to see that Republicans dislike the tobacco industry even more than Democrats.

The Brain

Presumably the strong red approval of "Manufacturing" is driven by gun manufacturers.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Very surprised that Republicans view tobacco industry more negatively.  Tobacco has always been a southern industry, and the smoking rates in general seem strongly correlated with the degree that a state is Republican.  Maybe Democrats just don't think about tobacco anymore, because they're not exposed to it as much?

The Larch

Quote from: DGuller on November 24, 2022, 03:14:08 PMVery surprised that Republicans view tobacco industry more negatively.  Tobacco has always been a southern industry, and the smoking rates in general seem strongly correlated with the degree that a state is Republican.  Maybe Democrats just don't think about tobacco anymore, because they're not exposed to it as much?

Maybe it also includes the marihuana industry as well?  :hmm:

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXhNfj_bPXI

Hakeem Jeffries is the new House minority leader.

I don't really get how they can elect someone new before the new members are seated.

OttoVonBismarck

They don't Yi, it is informal until the new Congress goes in.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 30, 2022, 06:48:52 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXhNfj_bPXI

Hakeem Jeffries is the new House minority leader.

I don't really get how they can elect someone new before the new members are seated.

It's a caucus vote, not a House vote.  Parties can do as they please.  The selection does not take effect until the new Congress is convened, but freshman members wouldn't have much impact anyway due to lack of seniority.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjVjpotc-ck

South Carolina will hold first Democratic primary in the nation, booting Iowa to the dustbin of history.

Admiral Yi

PJL

Well if you're going to throw certain special interest groups that supported you under the bus, the best time to do is straight after the elections.

OttoVonBismarck

Yeah, the rail worker stuff is rough because it would basically implode our economy to have let a strike occur. We aren't like the UK or France where I think there is greater societal tolerance for such disruptions on behalf of workers interests, Americans would all be up in arms over stores not being stocked and etc.

Admiral Yi

I'm maybe the most anti-union guy here and I think it was a bad call.  Saving the economy and saving Christmas are not sufficient reasons to do what they did.

Sheilbh

Interesting red-brown alliance of Senators who voted against this too.
Let's bomb Russia!