News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Star Wars Megathread

Started by Barrister, November 13, 2019, 12:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Enver_Hoxha

QuoteEnver Hoxha was a male Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars, stationed at the Jedi Temple. During the Jedi Temple Apprentice Tournament he was pitted against Pirt Neer in the eighth round. While their duel in the refectory drew a lot of attention, it was cut short when Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy took his lightsaber. He tapped out when Neer held her lightsaber to his neck.

:hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Andor finale. This may have been some of the most intense 45 minutes of Star Wars I've ever seen. :ph34r: Basically like watching a pressure cooker ramping up to explode.

And that post credits scene ... :o :wub:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 23, 2022, 01:15:21 PMAndor finale. This may have been some of the most intense 45 minutes of Star Wars I've ever seen. :ph34r: Basically like watching a pressure cooker ramping up to explode.

And that post credits scene ... :o :wub:
Just finished it.  :)  I want more! :)

That funeral procession... When they change tune and pace, just so great!
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

I wasn't the only one thinking the final shot was an homage to 2001, right?

—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Yep, it clearly was. Always love it when Star Wars homages other movies/movie genres (like all the stuff in the Mandalorian and the Terminator callback in Book of Boba Fett).

Anyway, it was a good ending - the funeral-then-riot was another action highlight in a show that doesn't do that much action, but always manages to make those bits stick. Still feel my favorite part of the show is the heist-prison break stretch, which is some of the best Star Wars we've had since the 1980s, imho, while being a totally different kind of Star Wars. Such attention to detail, so many memorable characters created with just a few scenes, such a complex theme... Can't wait for the second (and sadly last) season. In 2024. Sigh.

celedhring

Only thing I didn't understand is the Mon Mothma bit. It seems she's setting Perrin up to take the fall for the missing money, but then at the end she's still bethroting her daughter to the son of the criminal?

Solmyr

I assume she's setting it up to look like her husband's idea due to his gambling debts. So that potentially that criminal also goes down, if the Empire investigates.

Tamas

Syt

Can we just appreciate what a good lad Brasso has been the whole show? :wub:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

Good friend, good pallbearer, good alibi-haver/inventor, good droid-consoler. Good guy Brasso.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Syt

... and ready to headbutt stormtroopers and bash Imperial brains in with the brick-y-fied remains of his friend if they touch poor B2. :D (He's basically a human Wookiee :D )

In hindsight I find the parallels between Syril and Dedra quite interesting.

When we meet Syril, he's struggling against the inertia/slack of his corpo security force, and follows up on leads to get to the bottom of an incident that everyone else wants to brush off. He traces down Andor, but the attempt to capture him turns violent with several dead, him very shaken, and more or less saved by Mosk.

Dedra fights against the inertia/rigidity of the ISB, following up on and connecting leads that others want to brush off. She traces it all back to Andor, but the attempt to capture him turns violent with many dead, her very shaken, and saved by Syril.

Obviously, Syril was presented from the start as a bit of a laughable blowhard (amplified by the scenes with his mother), and Dedra comes across a lot more professional - it's the difference between playing in the pros and playing in a weekend league. But ultimately, their arcs (hers across the season, Syril's in the first three episodes) are remarkably similar.

With Syril becoming "her Mosk" in the riot, I wonder if Mosk is foreshadowing his (or their) trajectory. He was a hardass corpo security guy, then relegated to working a smelter. He seemed quite impressed with Maarva's speech, and the last we see of him is just sitting down dejectedly and getting drunk. I'm unsure if he had a change of heart, or just tries to come to terms with his own irrelevance. But considering how deliberate everything else seems, I could see this be a foreshadowing for Syril at least. He's an incel fascist, but he wants to believe in something greater than himself (the Empire, order, "justice"), which he sees personified in Dedra (whose motivations remain hidden for now). I could see him coming around to getting invested in a different great idea (e.g. the Rebellion, maybe after being tossed aside by the ISB/Dedra). Or he goes full suicide shooter/bomber at the ISB. Who knows. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Eddie Teach

He may be a bit of a loser, but incel is too strong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Well, at minimum he's an obsessed creep towards Dedra. :P

ScreenCrush had a good video about the theory that Luthen is a Jedi, with all (possible) hints/clues:
—Stephen Jay Gould

viper37

Quote from: Syt on November 27, 2022, 07:10:32 AMWell, at minimum he's an obsessed creep towards Dedra. :P
I don't think it's about her in particular nor in that kind of way.

He desperately want to rejoin the Empire and get a position in the ISB.  He may have been a lowly corporate investigator doing the Empire's work in an unruly sector, but he sees the Empire as good.  And frankly, with that kind of mother and that kind of job, I think I'd want to be out somewhere, anywhere. :P

Anyway. I think he sees Dedra as his stepping stone, his only chance to sort of rejoin the Empire in a meaningful way.

If she dies, all his hopes dies with her.  Only her knows him and the help he provided and he absolutely want to show her that he can make a good ISB agent.  No one else will believe in him, she's all he has left, so yeah, he's obsessed with her, but not in a romantic or sexual way.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josquius

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2022, 05:07:53 PMhttps://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Enver_Hoxha

QuoteEnver Hoxha was a male Jedi Padawan during the Clone Wars, stationed at the Jedi Temple. During the Jedi Temple Apprentice Tournament he was pitted against Pirt Neer in the eighth round. While their duel in the refectory drew a lot of attention, it was cut short when Tallisibeth Enwandung-Esterhazy took his lightsaber. He tapped out when Neer held her lightsaber to his neck.

:hmm:  :hmm:  :hmm:

.... :ph34r:

How very odd
I guess it's like when old Japanese anime randomly feature Hitler in a decent light.
██████
██████
██████