News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Crusader Kings III

Started by Syt, October 19, 2019, 04:02:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Pretty superficial when compared to the output of the Stellaris Custodians team.

Syt

Huh. When you hold a feast, there's an icon next to your capital, and clicking it will show you the guests:

Apparently this also exists for hunting, meeting peers ...

(Found on Reddit.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

I did not know that! Interesting  :hmm:

Jacob

In other CK3 news...

I usually play ironman, but one of the most stressful things is distributing new titles - especially during the early Confederate Partition days. It's often unpredictable how it affects the succession, and more than once have I abandoned a game after a hugely successful war because the title distribution fucked up my succession plans and/ or offended my sense of organization.

Only recently did I realize that if you exit the game before distributing the files, you can make a copy of the save game. Then, if you're unhappy with the outcome, you can just play from the copy of the file.

It kind of circumvents one of the key parts of ironman - no takesies-baksies - but it still prevents straight up save-game editing. It's taken some of the stress out and made the game more enjoyable as well.

Syt

Dunno, I find that kind of (mis)management fun, but YMMV heavily on this. There's some rules around how the partitions work (though I haven't bothered to study them :P ), but I understand there's some safeguards in place to make sure you don't give the Title that should go to Heir B to Heir A during your lifetime? Unless you have tons of kids, and have a decent amount of renown, you can usually get away with disinheriting kids you don't want in the succession (or force them to take vows), and if you have only a handful of heirs you might be able to wittle it down to a single heir (sucks if he dies, but hey, no risk, no fun :P ).

Otherwise, there's a mod called "Inherichance" (currently not up to date with recent patches, unfortunately), where you play as a random heir (or can preselect which one to play as) on death, which might spice up such situations.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Yeah disinheriting is almost an exploit, it's often so easy. But what I normally do is try to hand out titles to non-primary heirs while my ruler is alive, especially if I don't like how it will happen after the death (you can actually check who will get what). It is also the prime motivation for me to conquer, after a while, as I need new lands to appease newly born sons. :)

Jacob

Heir and inheritance management is actually good fun, I just prefer understanding the consequences of my actions before committing to them.

For example, in my current game I just founded an empire. I thought about handing out Kingdom titles to my non-prime heirs because I thought it prevent them from inheriting other available Kingdoms. Turns out, that is not the case - if I give an heir a kingdom they're standing to inherit, they'll get a new kingdom as their inheritance if one is available. Understanding that will lead to very different decisions.

Syt

Quote from: Jacob on November 29, 2022, 04:58:52 PMTurns out, that is not the case - if I give an heir a kingdom they're standing to inherit, they'll get a new kingdom as their inheritance if one is available. Understanding that will lead to very different decisions.

Yeah, that mechanic is mostly in the game to prevent you from "pre-empting" the inheritance this way.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Quote from: Syt on November 29, 2022, 05:03:38 PMYeah, that mechanic is mostly in the game to prevent you from "pre-empting" the inheritance this way.

But you can pre-empt on the duchy level. Seems kind of strange not to keep it consistent.

I find that kind of silly, honestly. I'm all for splitting the lands equally between the heirs, but the insistence on "let's make it arbitrarily random and opaque" subtracts rather than adds to the experience for me.

I'd love a mechanic where you could plan ahead, having to balance the various factors. While we're at it, I'd also love to be able to propose trades to vassals - "you give me this county here, and in return I'll make you the duke of this other place" or the like.

Syt

The latter might be possible at higher crown authority levels and if you have the rightful title of the county. E.g. if you (as king) hold Duke of X, and another Duke in your kingdom holds a county that's part of that title - I think you might be able to take that county as it's part of your title, but I'm not 100% sure.

You could check if there's mods addressing these issues (I know there's a bunch of mods around succession mechanics), though if you play for achievements it's going to be tricky. :(
—Stephen Jay Gould

Jacob

Steam update just fucked my ironman game.

Do any of you fine folks know how to roll it back? And how to turn auto-update off in the future? It's not immediately obvious to me when I google / look at steam.

Solmyr

I think to not update you have to be in offline mode on Steam. Otherwise it will update sooner or later.

Not sure how to roll back, maybe under Properties/Betas you can select an older version?

HVC

There's an option, I *think* it's under properties. Right click on the game title in your list. You can turn of updates. Not sure about rolling back.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Zanza

You can select the version you want under Betas in Steam.

Jacob

Thanks everyone!

Turns out that the save was fine anyhow, in spite of the updates, so no biggie.