News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NHL Hockey thread

Started by Barrister, March 07, 2011, 12:49:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Oilers win. :mellow:

Okay, so at least let's hope the Flames win tonight.  A Battle of Alberta second round would be pretty fun.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Barrister

Quote from: Barrister on May 15, 2022, 12:36:10 PMOilers win. :mellow:

Okay, so at least let's hope the Flames win tonight.  A Battle of Alberta second round would be pretty fun.

:shifty:

viper37

Looks like it's going to be a great series.  Way too late for me, though :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

This Calgary-Edmonton game is crazy.

Currently 7-6 Calgary with 15 minutes left in the third period.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2022, 11:00:55 PMThis Calgary-Edmonton game is crazy.

Currently 7-6 Calgary with 15 minutes left in the third period.
9-6 at the end of it.  Damn.  You don't see that everyday. :)

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

HVC

This Alberta series is the weirdest one I've seen in a long time.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on May 26, 2022, 04:07:20 AMThis Alberta series is the weirdest one I've seen in a long time.

That goal from the opposite blue line was something crazy.  And the Oilers still won!

I'm really hoping for a Calgary win tonight though to extend the series.  Because I'm set to take my son down to Calgary for a hockey tournament for the weekend.  I think the idea of watching the game in Calgary with a bunch of Edmonton hockey parents would be quite amusing. :)

viper37

Last week news, Shea Weaber was exchanged by the Habs to the Vegas Knights.

I get why the Canadiens wanted to trade him.  He is, in all likelyhood, not coming back to play and he has something like 4 years left to his contract.  Even on the long term injured list, he costs money and the CH takes a hit on their salary cap.  By trading him for a less expensive player, they get some more free room.

What I do not understand if what the VG gain of it.

I always thought he would go to a team that had trouble reaching the salary floor.  But Vegas is apparently close to the cap too and does not have that much wiggle room.  What do they gain by having a costly player on their long term injured list?  IRRC, they can't write off 100% of his salary.  What am I missing?

Grey Fox

His actual salary is 3 millions next year & then 1 million for each of the last 3 years. Although, that doesn't really matter; insurance is paying that out.

LTIR is a confusing aspect of the NHL Salary cap system. Basically, when a player is placed on LTIR the team gets his daily cap hit reduced from the daily payroll. Depending on how the team is set up, they can accrue space on the difference to the upper cap limit.

Read this : https://www.capfriendly.com/ltir-faq

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Winnipeg Jets announce Rick Bowness as their new head coach, only their third in Jets 2.0 history.

I'm not really a fan of the hire, but damn this guy has an interesting history.

Rick Bowness is 67 years old.  He spent most of his playing career as a minor leaguer, but made his NHL debut with the Atlanta Flames back in 1975-1976.  He also played with Jets 1.0 in their inaugural 1980-1981 season (a season which was historically bad).

He became a player-coach (which you never see anymore) with the Jets AHL affiliate Sherbrooke Jets in 1982 through 1984, where he then moved on to be an assistant coach with the Jets 1.0 in 1984.  He became interim head coach mid way through the 1989-1990 season, although he was let go at the end of the season.

Since then he was an interim head coach for the Bruins, became the first ever head coach for the expansion Ottawa Senators, head coach for the wretched mid-90s Islanders, an assistant (and interim head coach) in Phoenix (which was the old Jets 1.0), assistant with Vancouver, assistant with Tampa, assistant then full time head coach in Dallas until being let go recently.

His lifetime head coaching record is 212-351-48, which obviously is not good.  But he mostly coached some terrible teams, most notably the expansion Senators.  His record in Dallas was decent at 89-62.

It sometimes feels like Jets management/ownership is a little too in-touch with Jets history, and this fits right in that pattern, with Bowness having both played and coached for Jets 1.0.  So I don't expect a lot from the upcoming season, but damn - he seems like a guy to share a beer with and hear some amazing stories about back in the day...

HVC

Börje Salming has passed away.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

viper37

Valmy

How are the Pens not #1? They are a team of pure evil!
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 09, 2022, 10:52:08 PMHow are the Pens not #1? They are a team of pure evil!
You can rejoice in the fact that they are above the Caps! :P