Time for a new computer build, need some help

Started by grumbler, May 01, 2022, 07:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

My 8-year-old MB just isn't cutting it any more, as it has persistently given false CPU overtemp alarms and now only intermittently recognizes my two 4TB drives.  I'm going to keep my video card and drives for now.

What I am looking for is the "sweet spot" of decent futureproofing without paying for the bleeding edge.  Eight years ago Valmy steered me towards my current rig, and that was just what I wanted (it never held me back until it started to wear out).

Right now, that looks like a MSI MAG B560M motherboard ($160) and Intel® Core™ i5-10600KF ($185), but I'm open to suggestions in those sorts of price ranges.  Also looking at 2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory at $119, but know a lot less about all the ins and outs of memory, so suggestions welcome here, as well.

Anybody want to do a brother a solid, and help out here?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on May 01, 2022, 07:19:42 PMMy 8-year-old MB just isn't cutting it any more, as it has persistently given false CPU overtemp alarms and now only intermittently recognizes my two 4TB drives.  I'm going to keep my video card and drives for now.

What I am looking for is the "sweet spot" of decent futureproofing without paying for the bleeding edge.  Eight years ago Valmy steered me towards my current rig, and that was just what I wanted (it never held me back until it started to wear out).

Right now, that looks like a MSI MAG B560M motherboard ($160) and Intel® Core™ i5-10600KF ($185), but I'm open to suggestions in those sorts of price ranges.  Also looking at 2x16 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 3200 (PC4-25600) C16 1.35V Desktop Memory at $119, but know a lot less about all the ins and outs of memory, so suggestions welcome here, as well.

Anybody want to do a brother a solid, and help out here?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GfMTY9

Ryzen 5 5600X is often the sweet spot.
I've picked a board that has a couple more USB 3.2 slots than other, cheaper ones.  If you plan on overclocking, the X570 chipset might be more appropriate as there's a lot more unlocked options in the BIOS.

Memory is good, but 3200mhz is the minimum, don't go below that.  Although tbh, the improvement you get by increasing memory speed aren't that noticeable in most games.

You didn't specify it, but I included storage anyway, a 4TB drive for archiving and a very good 1TB SSD for the OS + the games you currently play.  If you hate shuffling game arounds, than forego the HDD and get a 2 TB SSD for everything + an external hdd or a cheaper internal hdd for backup purposes.

I like AMD cards because they come with Freesync and Freesync is royalty free, which means monitors are cheaper.  It gives you smoother frame rate.  But your current video car and monitor might well do the trick.

Case: I picked a regular, decent case.  You can either keep your current case if you intend to discard your current parts, or pick whatever you want.

Powersupply: minimum 80+Bronze.  I've picked a 850w 80+ Gold, it happened to be the cheapest in the brands I wanted to suggest.  I wouldn't go below 750w.  Video cards tend to increase their power requirements as they release new models (looking at you Nvidia!) and I wanted you to preserve future upgrade possibilities.  Sure, you could buy a 550w now and it'll suit your needs.  Two years down the road, you want that new, shiny, ultra fast Nvidia video card selling for a whopping 1700$ (comes with mortgage financing plans if you replace the motherboard and CPU too ;) )... but you have to replace your power supply because it ain't big enough.  850w might be insufficient for the latest & greatest, but for the middle of the road GPU, it'll be more than good enough.

Dell monitor: The exact same I have.  I really like this monitor.  Not too pricey and very clear picture with HDR.  Again, your current monitor might be well enough.

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

grumbler

Thanks, Viper.  I ended up going with the Intel processor because, right after I wrote the OP, my MB stopped seeing my 3 TB drive as well, and I needed to get some new parts ASAP.  Other than MB and processor, though, I like our recommendations.  I went with 2x16 MB memory to leave two slots for futureproofing, though.  Thanks for taking the time and thought for this.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

viper37

See, I wasn't so far off.
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3090-ti-review

QuoteYou could fairly think of the Nvidia GeForce RTX 3090 Ti as a big, stump-necked brute of a graphics card. What better characterisation for the latest tippity-top-of-the-line GPU from Nvidia, who've already produced the best graphics card for 4K in the RTX 3080? But rather than be overwhelmed by its power, I personally feel more like the RTX 3090 Ti is trying to trick, tempt and seduce me, Old Testament-style. "Recommend meeeee" it whispers, coasting through another maximum settings benchmark. "Tell evvvvvvveryone these frame rates are totally worth £1879."

But I can't. Sorry. While I am a sucker for go-faster gear, the RTX 3090 Ti is just too far of a stretch, with its sometimes imperceptible performance differences to the £1399 RTX 3090
and a tendency towards impractically gigantic partner card models.
That's 2300 US$ for the latest and greatest.  And 1 700 US$ for the before last model.

I paid 600 CAN$ for my last AMD card, a Radeon RX 5700XT that still runs my games perfectly well...

This is just insane.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maladict

My trusty i5 is ailing, it already has a bunch of re-used parts so I'm thinking it's time for a new start.
I've stolen Viper's list above (thanks V!), how does this look for around 1400 Euros?
It's a little more than I was planning to spend, but stuff seems to be expensive these days. At least I can get a few Black Friday discounts in.

QuoteCooler Master Silencio S400
€ 102,95

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
€ 199,-

Scythe Mugen 5 PCGH Edition
€ 64,90

Gigabyte B550M DS3H
€ 109,-

2x Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB - DIMM
€ 156,-

Western Digital SN750 SE - 1 TB
€ 118,95

WD Black - 4 TB
€ 219,-

ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce GTX 1660 Super OC edition
€ 399,-

ASUS PCE-AX3000
€ 59,95

Cooler Master MWE Gold 650 - 650 W
€ 95,-

viper37

I hadn't seen this, sorry.

Your power supply could be on the low side for future video card upgrades, but it is perfect for your current build.

Maladict

Quote from: viper37 on December 08, 2022, 01:46:14 AMI hadn't seen this, sorry.

Your power supply could be on the low side for future video card upgrades, but it is perfect for your current build.

No worries, already enjoying the new rig.  :)

viper37

Quote from: Maladict on December 13, 2022, 02:27:00 AM
Quote from: viper37 on December 08, 2022, 01:46:14 AMI hadn't seen this, sorry.

No worries, already enjoying the new rig.  :)
Cool! :)

Caliga

Put an ASUS RTX 4070 SUPER OC into my gaming PC this past weekend.

While I have yet to try it with Flight Simulator, Starfield is just... wow... now.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

viper37

Quote from: Caliga on March 04, 2024, 11:12:53 AMPut an ASUS RTX 4070 SUPER OC into my gaming PC this past weekend.

While I have yet to try it with Flight Simulator, Starfield is just... wow... now.
What did you have before? :)

Caliga

Darth Wagtaros

I really should replace the video card.  It was struggling even when new.  I always cheap oiut on them, though in my defense, I bought it during the cryptohype when they were astronomically priced.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on March 06, 2024, 11:44:58 AMI really should replace the video card.  It was struggling even when new.  I always cheap oiut on them, though in my defense, I bought it during the cryptohype when they were astronomically priced.
That's a good reason to cheap out.  I bought mine in 2019 after my other one failed.  I'm waiting for Canadian prices to lower a bit.  I've got eyes on a 7800 XT, 7900 GRE, 7900 XT or 4070 TI Super, whichever one drops to a more reasonable price first.

Still selling old equipment meanwhile.

@Caliga:
Nice upgrade.  :)

Caliga

I thought about the 4070 Ti SUPER too but decided to set a max budget, and like I said I'm super happy with mine at this point.  I'll probably buy Phantom Liberty soon and replay Cyberpunk 2077.  Ignore the haters, Cyberpunk is an awesome game I already beat once.

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!