What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Josquius on April 20, 2022, 11:02:48 AMTell me something here.
When you're on the ground in the US is "woke" really such a real thing
it's real enough in Canada.  To comply with Federal funding rules, universities must offer their best jobs to non white males.  Any white male is automatically discarded.

Quebec has also been kinda forced to instute a similar policy for a new police recruitment program: only non whites are now allowed to apply for this program, which enrolls people already working as civilians in police departments in a special accelerated course that gets them into the police academy.

Effectively, we have legalized discrimination in the name of diversity and pick candidates on their ethnic origins rather than their competence.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: viper37 on April 20, 2022, 09:16:27 PM
it's real enough in Canada.  To comply with Federal funding rules, universities must offer their best jobs to non white males.  Any white male is automatically discarded.

Quebec has also been kinda forced to instute a similar policy for a new police recruitment program: only non whites are now allowed to apply for this program, which enrolls people already working as civilians in police departments in a special accelerated course that gets them into the police academy.

Effectively, we have legalized discrimination in the name of diversity and pick candidates on their ethnic origins rather than their competence.

That system of race preference would largely be illegal in the United States. You can build programs intended to boost minority hiring, you can make racial diversity a "factor" in admissions and hiring to some degree, but strict quotas or things like that are explicitly unconstitutional as per Supreme Court precedent.

Jacob

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 20, 2022, 11:07:31 PMThat system of race preference would largely be illegal in the United States. You can build programs intended to boost minority hiring, you can make racial diversity a "factor" in admissions and hiring to some degree, but strict quotas or things like that are explicitly unconstitutional as per Supreme Court precedent.

It may not be wise to take viper's description of how things work at face value.

Josquius

Yeah, I doubt that is right. Even with stuff like BAME officer you couldn't get away with specifically excluding white people. And why white men specifically?
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

In Sweden it's illegal to make hiring decisions based on skin color. With some exceptions. For instance it's legal to do it when casting movies, stage plays, and similar. If it's a decisive requirement, and appropriate and necessary (my italics) in order to achieve the purpose of the job.

Given the existence of color-blind casting I doubt that an actor having a specific skin color is ever necessary these days. In practice though I've never heard of anyone getting into trouble.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

OttoVonBismarck

I think most reasonable people should be fine with the concept that some films / plays need people of a specific appearance. I think it's entirely fine to cast people with ahistorical skin appearance, too, and many things do that now. But at the same time I think of a movie like "12 Years a Slave", and yeah, I don't really think casting the slaves with a mixture of white guys in blackface and actual black people would set the right tone for a movie like that.

Berkut

That sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me.

Source?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2022, 08:56:08 AM

Source?

For the Police recruitment program : https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-04-20/le-reve-decu-d-aspirantes-policieres.php

Google Translated link : https://www-lapresse-ca.translate.goog/actualites/2022-04-20/le-reve-decu-d-aspirantes-policieres.php?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Berkut

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 21, 2022, 09:07:22 AM
Quote from: Berkut on April 21, 2022, 08:56:08 AM

Source?

For the Police recruitment program : https://www.lapresse.ca/actualites/2022-04-20/le-reve-decu-d-aspirantes-policieres.php

Google Translated link : https://www-lapresse-ca.translate.goog/actualites/2022-04-20/le-reve-decu-d-aspirantes-policieres.php?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=fr&_x_tr_pto=wapp

So this is a *specific* police recruitment program that specifically targets minorities. It is not the ONLY police recruitment program, and 94% of the police in the department in question are white, so this program is trying to attract more minority candidates.

Yeah, that sounds like a fucking terrible travesty. Poor white people might not get to have 94% of the slots anymore, why, what would happen if they only got 90% of them????

This is why we can't have nice things.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

People go to great length to defend things that are somewhat related to them. Like asshole billionaires.

crazy canuck

You make a very good reactionary. 

In case anyone is wondering Viper is dreaming in extreme right wing technocolor.

viper37

Quote from: Jacob on April 20, 2022, 11:54:40 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on April 20, 2022, 11:07:31 PMThat system of race preference would largely be illegal in the United States. You can build programs intended to boost minority hiring, you can make racial diversity a "factor" in admissions and hiring to some degree, but strict quotas or things like that are explicitly unconstitutional as per Supreme Court precedent.

It may not be wise to take viper's description of how things work at face value.
Read about the latest job offerings from Université Laval in Quebec city.  They said they comply to Federal funding rules, just like all Canadian universities.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on April 21, 2022, 06:18:23 PM

Read about the latest job offerings from Université Laval in Quebec city.  They said they comply to Federal funding rules, just like all Canadian universities.

I am aware of no federal funding rules Which specify requirements you have alleged. If you would like to link where they are located that would be very helpful

Grey Fox

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2022, 07:16:50 PM
Quote from: viper37 on April 21, 2022, 06:18:23 PM

I am aware of no federal funding rules Which specify requirements you have alleged. If you would like to link where they are located that would be very helpful

Canada Research Chairs program.

Razgovory

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 21, 2022, 12:11:17 PM

You make a very good reactionary. 

In case anyone is wondering Viper is dreaming in extreme right wing technocolor.
He's a Chaotic Neutral reactionary at best.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017