And we're back!

Main Menu

What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on November 07, 2020, 12:50:27 PM
Pelosi is 80 btw.

I'm hoping that Harris will be great, but always try and purge such wishful thoughts, too many disappointments over the years.
Oh wow - so she's far older. Bottomley is only 76 and first elected, I think, in 1974.
Let's bomb Russia!

OttoVonBismarck

My biggest prediction is that Biden will likely announce after the 2022 midterms (regardless of their result, I think he just won't announce before them) that he will not seek a second term.

I think Biden will try genuine bipartisanship and not succeed.

I think the more interesting questions will be how do the Democrats and Republicans go forward. There have been a few times in history where Presidents have been able to run vigorous midterm campaigns against inactive congresses and won, but that has usually been "riled up" Presidents good at riling other people up, which Joe Biden isn't. I think the Republicans are still on their same bad demographic track, but will be well positioned to win elections and keep fighting through 2030. I think the biggest issue the GOP will have going forward is to some degree Obama and Hillary were perfect for getting right wing agitation really high. I have a strong suspicion muddling Joe, who won't actually get any far lefty policies passed with a Republican Senate, will be much harder to keep people riled up about. At the same time I think the Democrats don't have any amazing way to rile up their people either.

I think until further demographic erosion of the white grievance base fundamentally alters America forever, if Democrats want to wield the kind of power they briefly had in 2008-10 they have to find a way to message to and win more votes with the white working class and white rural class. Not "win", not "kowtow to", but at least find a way to get those votes. They aren't even trying now. Even Trump tried to get black votes, which is more than we can say for Dems and rural voters the last few years. If you don't try at all you certainly won't get any.

I hear a lot of people expecting the "Trump surge" voters are hear to stay, but we had a historically high turnout election and those are rare. Voters drawn off the sidelines by a charismatic politician, in American history, rarely become permanent voters when they spent the previous 30-50 years of their lives not voting. Likewise Biden likely got a surge of voters that are either not here to stay, or possibly were quasi-Republicans (like me--although I'm not going back to the GOP unless they shift things a lot, my quixotic goal will be to try to advocate for the Dems being a true centrist style Merkel type party with broad appeal to the broadest portion of voters possible--I doubt me and the people like me will succeed.)

Solmyr

AOC will run against Don Jr. in 2024 and both will cause a split in their respective parties. US will continue with a 4+ party system, joining the civilized world. :P

crazy canuck

I am not sure I am comfortable with Cal jumping FunkMunk's claim like this.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2020, 01:11:55 PM

I'm alright having lived through the horror that transpired after Funks presidential thread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Caliga

Quote from: crazy canuck on November 07, 2020, 01:11:55 PM
Claim Jumper  :w00t:

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

katmai

I have it on good authority, that Pelosi is going to invoke the 25th against Biden and Kamala will be the president before the end of 2021
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

He will reverse almost everything Trump has done in foreign policy.  He will spend a great deal of time trying to convince hoaxers and antimaskers to behave like grown ups.  He will eventually propose significant Green legislation that will fail in the Senate.

Sheilbh

Don't agree on foreign policy - I think arguably China policy is Trump's only real success that will endure.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 07, 2020, 02:38:36 PM
Don't agree on foreign policy - I think arguably China policy is Trump's only real success that will endure.

A big order for soybeans in exchange for years of tarriff disruptions?