News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Syt, April 09, 2020, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Yeah, every time I think I have reached steamroller mode, there is another challenge -  and it is different in every game.

This is the best single player experience I can remember.

crazy canuck

PSA, I just noticed they are now on patch 1.03 - out today.  I missed 1.02.  Also note of warning, you cannot patch directly to 1.03 - you need to catch up each patch.

One thing that made it easier is after I applied the 1.02 patch there was a check for updates button which made updating to 1.03 much easier.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2020, 11:06:36 PM
One thing that made it easier is after I applied the 1.02 patch there was a check for updates button which made updating to 1.03 much easier.

Good to know, I was surprised to find it missing. It's normally been part of all Matrix/Slitherine launchers.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 12, 2020, 07:58:39 PM
Yeah, every time I think I have reached steamroller mode, there is another challenge -  and it is different in every game.

This is the best single player experience I can remember.

Indeed. Right now there's this major neighbor I could probably defeat all things equal, but half my army is tied up in border control so I'd lose a direct confrontation, hence I find myself paying him tribute Roman Empire-style  :lol:

I'm having a blast. Honestly it has surpassed my expectations. Next save I want to see if I can generate a resource-rich planet and see how the game plays in that setting (right now my "wars" are mainly clashes between small infantry units because nobody can afford anything else, my 2 tank batallions eat up my entire fuel production when I mobilize them, doesn't help that I overdesign them German-style  :lol:).

crazy canuck

In my new game I have one zone where my prospectors find a fuel node every few turns and most of my wells are mothballed so I don't waste it.  Maybe something addressed in the last patch because it is the same sort of planet config as before.

I think metal is the main constraint.  There are always multiple things I want to build.

crazy canuck

When you generate a new planet it is saved as a file that says "lastplanetgenerated".  If you like that starting planet, you can load that and get different leaders, and everything else that is randomly generated.  I have played the beginning to two games this way, and they both turned out quite differently which is a testament to how well the game is designed.

If you want to keep that planet, I suggest renaming that file because when you generate a new planet it will be overwritten.

crazy canuck

1.04 is now out.  Biggest fix is rebels were spawning at 10x the intended number.

crazy canuck

Vic appears to care about his games - new patch coming tomorrow which features an overhaul to the logistics system with pull effects being factored into the system.  Overall should mean more strategic thinking about logistics vs the need to micromanage.  I will particularly like the fact I no longer have to scan the map every turn to see if the private sector has developed an asset that needed to have its access to the logistics pipeline narrowed.

celedhring

I'm waiting until the furious pace of patches abates a bit before playing my next save. The pull mechanic looks like a great addition to make logistics less tinkery while still retaining the decision-making parts of it.

crazy canuck

It is a good idea.  His pace of work past release is pretty impressive.  He is perhaps using this release as the beta before it goes live on Steam.

crazy canuck

New beta patch came out instead.  So probably a bit before 1.05 is released.  Still fine tuning the new logistics system.

crazy canuck

1.05 is now live after a lot of testing.  It started as an update to the logistics system but turned out to be a major update to many aspects of the game.  The manual has been changed to reflect the changes.

I will probably take it for a spin when I have some time over the weekend.

celedhring

Tell me what you think. I've been meaning to start another save once the patch deluge stabilised somewhat.

crazy canuck

Quote from: celedhring on August 08, 2020, 03:44:07 AM
Tell me what you think. I've been meaning to start another save once the patch deluge stabilised somewhat.

Some big improvements with this patch.  The main reason for it, the logistics are much more intuitive now.  They are still important and you still need to plan ahead but it makes a lot more sense and there is less micromanagement required.  Lots of nice quality of life changes, like you can't accidentally miss making decisions because you can't end your turn without addressing them.  Lots of nice improvements to the tool tips.  Also a nice improvement to creating the planet by giving a bunch of societal options in the first screen.

It has the feel of now being the core game.

crazy canuck

Steam release on Dec. 3.  With a patch that brings us aircraft.

I am looking forward to picking this up again over the Christmas break.