News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Shadow Empire

Started by Syt, April 09, 2020, 01:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

The game is 90% hardcoded at this point. IIRC only the graphics are moddable.

Hopefully he'll open up some of it later on. Given the copious amounts of spelling mistakes and the tortured grammar I hope he at least make texts editable.  :P

crazy canuck

I played through conquering three regions in three different games.  The made them all as similar as I could in the starting screens.  I got three completely different scenarios even though the planets were all similar.  Your leaders really matter.  How you interact with them is a big part of the game.  My advice is to get to know them by reading through there bios and spend time reading the report tab until you get a good handle on where the strengths and weaknesses are.  It will change fundamentally from game to game so don't get caught like I did in my second game  :D

Logistics is the key to everything in this game.  Mess that up and everything comes crashing down - that's why I needed to start my second game.

The research mechanics look simple but the way you implement you technological developments is complex.  Discovering something is just the first step.  Then you have to assign a research budget to it so that it's practical uses can be researched.  For military tech you then have to research new units that will use that tech and new OOB that can be formed with those newly researched units.  You can also muster independent units if you can't wait for the OOB groups to be developed.  For civilian structures you need the tech and the proper Amount if civic development and/or appropriate  Terrain/nodes.

And this is all before you of even think about going to war against a far off foe.

One last piece of advise.  Learn to read the strategic map to get a. good sense of who you should fight with first and put spies where you can.

There is a lot more but all this typing is really cutting into my time for playing the game.

The Brain

Quote from: celedhring on June 07, 2020, 04:12:06 AM
Okay, this game is ridiculous. I just spent nearly an hour checking out the skills and biographies of all my starting leaders.  :hmm:

Amazing AAR potential if you really dwelve into the RPG aspect of the game. I wasn't expecting to be that part of the game to be this fleshed out.

Is there a dong size slider? Many games have them these days.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

I have read some posts that the Wargamer discount code is now fully subscribed and so no longer available.

I am wondering how to properly use zones.  Right now I am sending logistics out of my starting city and boasting capacity there.  I am not sure how or if I should start using a second SHQ.

celedhring

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2020, 10:25:27 AM
I have read some posts that the Wargamer discount code is now fully subscribed and so no longer available.

I am wondering how to properly use zones.  Right now I am sending logistics out of my starting city and boasting capacity there.  I am not sure how or if I should start using a second SHQ.

FWIW, I used the wargamer code less than 24h ago.

celedhring

This Vic dude has now become my favorite Dutchman after Johan Cruyff and Maladict.

Syt

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 08, 2020, 10:25:27 AM

DasTactic just released a video about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NF0-UtHuhA4

He has a full series of beginner tips: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGB6RkFB7ZmPoXDAaR8FbM3xujwMsDgEv
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I found some of his videos quite helpful to wrap my mind around how logistics work and how to use traffic lights. :)

He uses a format where he starts with some basic overview (just tell me what button to push!) and the delves into the nitty gritty of the mechanics.

EDIT: Just watched the latest video, he doesn't talk about SHQs in it, unfortunately. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Wow, that session on sectors was incredibly useful.  I was making the mistake of always increasing the size of my towns thinking bigger was always better.... DOH!

This game is amazing in its depth and decision making on each turn

I will take a look at his other videos when I have a chance.  Thanks again :)

Syt

He's also streaming (now with cam ... he's a middle aged Australian gent): https://www.twitch.tv/dastactic, recently mostly Shadow Empire, Age of Wonders: Planetfall and some Field of Glory Empires.
—Stephen Jay Gould

crazy canuck

Quote from: Syt on June 08, 2020, 12:43:40 PM
He's also streaming (now with cam ... he's a middle aged Australian gent): https://www.twitch.tv/dastactic, recently mostly Shadow Empire, Age of Wonders: Planetfall and some Field of Glory Empires.

My three go to games these days.  :cool:

crazy canuck

Thanks again for the link to those tutorials Syt.  One of the things that was very helpful was how models work and especially when you should build a new model rather than improving an existing one.

The tutorial released yesterday gives a detailed analysis of the tasks each leader performs. After watching that I played a new game where I chose the interior ministry as my second choice after the economic counsel.  I found that really helped because you get a lot of cards which give leaders xp.  A big early game boost.

Syt

Yeah, the videos are immensely helpful. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

celedhring

Feeling like the late Roman Empire in my current save. I'm probably the strongest political entity on the planet, but I have huuuuge borders which I can't possible man in its entirety with the forces I can afford (this planet is extremely reosource and people-shy). So I feel like I'm playing whack-a-mole with the assorted barbarians that cross them and raid my infrastructure. Which is actually kinda cool since I was afraid I would just steamroll through the rest of the save once I took a few cities.