Real RPGs, none of that new fangled computer bullshit

Started by CountDeMoney, June 11, 2017, 10:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: saskganesh on November 03, 2017, 02:52:08 PM
Oh and there's a whole lot of people who like to talk about RPGS, read them, and buy them, but never seem to make the time to play. Of course, they always make time for everything and anything else.

:unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2017, 03:42:38 PM
Oh and there's a whole lot of people who like to talk about RPGS, read them, and buy them, but never seem to make the time to play. Of course, they always make time for everything and anything else.

I assumed he was talking about me.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 27, 2017, 12:17:19 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2017, 08:54:49 PM
BA, you ever try to get into RPGs that are less table- and dice-driven, labor intensive and more lightweight and narrative-friendly?
I've yet to run into a system like that.  I think I'd enjoy the heck out of it, especially with the right players and GM.  Alas, that type of crew seems as unlikely as finding a great set of rules for such a setup.  Far too many people in my extended group of roleplaying people are min/max-ers who are more concerned with "winning" and going all in on combat, loot, and the like than the narrative experience.  It's a shame really, as I think the story telling and narrative aspects are my favorite part of games and why I enjoy them so much.

That's a shame.  There are some really good, narrative-driven RPGs out there without a whole lot of massive character development, tables, etc.   After a while, you just don't want to do that much paperwork.

saskganesh

Quote from: Barrister on November 03, 2017, 03:49:42 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 03, 2017, 03:42:38 PM

I assumed he was talking about me.

heh. It's a big  part of the RPG market. Since it's such a niche business, the collector/reader segment is very important for the survival of the "industry".
humans were created in their own image

Delirium

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on October 27, 2017, 12:17:19 AMI've yet to run into a system like that.  I think I'd enjoy the heck out of it, especially with the right players and GM.  Alas, that type of crew seems as unlikely as finding a great set of rules for such a setup.  Far too many people in my extended group of roleplaying people are min/max-ers who are more concerned with "winning" and going all in on combat, loot, and the like than the narrative experience.  It's a shame really, as I think the story telling and narrative aspects are my favorite part of games and why I enjoy them so much.

Interesting. I have exactly the opposite problem. My group (when we can be bothered to actually meet up) are mostly focused on telling a story, not that there is anything wrong with that, but after 15+ years of playing together the stories tend to blend into each other and you tend to long for a good, solid rules optimizing table-chewing equipment hoarding group.
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

The Brain

Quote from: The Brain on October 25, 2017, 12:33:38 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 24, 2017, 08:56:22 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 17, 2017, 01:18:19 PM
I just got delivery of a fuckton of books for the new Conan RPG. Got some reading to do...

Well?

Well I've glanced at them all and started reading the main rulebook. I like it so far, it does appear to be the ultimate in Conan RPGing. I also like the fact that they're basing it on Howard's stories and don't include stuff from later authors.

Finished the main rulebook. I don't really have an opinion on the rule system, but one thing that I don't really care for is the Doom mechanic. Adjusting events to keep things interesting is part of normal GM duties, I don't understand why you'd need a points system. It also introduces an element of "GM vs players", which I don't care for (they themselves point out correctly in the introdution to RPGs that that's not what RPGs are about). Another design decision I found weird was to make gear and treasure bland and abstract. I get what they're going for but it's hard to get players' hearts racing with bland and abstract rewards. Coupled with the designers' idea that sudden reversals of fortune (riches to rags) shouldn't be unusual makes it harder to get players excited about finding the treasure of the lost temple. If your rewards are bland and can easily be taken away from you why bother risking your life? In this I think they went too far to try to follow the Conan stories, Conan often finds himself back to square one, but that's to get him into the next thrilling tale of violence and naked ladies with no baggage. What works in stories doesn't necessarily work well in an RPG, and I think they could have done this better without losing any essential Conan feeling.

World description etc is good. Illustrations are good. The text is well written.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Delirium

When I read this I started thinking that maybe this is a trend in general in semi-contemporary rpg's? I don't have that much to go by, but my impression is that newer rpg's tend to be much more abstract in general but especially when it comes to things like equipment and combat. Rather than having detailed d100 tables and charts you have a track from 1 to 3 where 3 is seriously badass and 1 is mediochre. Same with stats I suppose. Although when I'm writing this I realize that World of Darkness probably started that path away from the Rolemaster-ish demand for concrete results towards much more storytelling.

In any case, I believe that bland and abstract descriptions dampen your enthusiasm to be creative in your own right...
Come writers and critics who prophesize with your pen, and keep your eyes wide the chance won't come again; but don't speak too soon for the wheel's still in spin, and there's no telling who that it's naming. For the loser now will be later to win, cause the times they are a-changin'. -- B Dylan

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on November 27, 2017, 10:50:08 AM
In any case, I believe that bland and abstract descriptions dampen your enthusiasm to be creative in your own right...

Alrighty then.

Delirium

Feel free to go and start another dozen or so threads of moral outrage.  <_<

Sophie Scholl

I know the The One Ring system from Cubicle 7 uses the abstract "treasure" idea with the addition of some specific weapons which you can pursue.  Personally, I find it rather fitting for the Tolkien setting, as treasure in and of itself is rarely fleshed out as a goal or listed out.  Even dragons and Dwarves seem to seek just the general aspect of it.  Specific weapons and magical rings are the exception in the setting of course, which the rules cover to my satisfaction.  At least as we've encountered them so far.  It also allows for a more abstract handling of the mundane aspects of gearing players up.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Delirium on November 27, 2017, 02:50:38 PM
Feel free to go and start another dozen or so threads of moral outrage.  <_<

:lol:  So touchy

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

PDH

That is one seriously detailed game if it has a Dump stat...
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM