Main Menu

Facebook Follies of Friends and Families

Started by Syt, December 06, 2015, 01:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:38:47 AM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 11:32:06 AM
Quote from: Maximus on October 21, 2019, 11:31:05 AM
Not Facebook, but my brother informed me today that if Trudeau wins this election Western Canada will likely secede because they can't survive another 4 years of Trudeau. Also the Green and NDP parties have vowed to utterly destroy Alberta.

Alberta is not Western Canada.....
Are you sure? After all, Alberta bankrolls the rest of the country.

GDP by province in 2018 ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

Alberta: 335 Billion
Ontario: 728 Billion
Quebec: 365 Billion
BC: 246 Billion

... Albertains have odd notions. Alberta is an important province but it does not bankroll the rest of the country; economically, it is less than half the size of Ontario and is smaller than Quebec as well. It is economically larger than BC though! 
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 12:45:20 PM
Not Facebook, but my brother informed me today that if Trudeau wins this election Western Canada will likely secede because they can't survive another 4 years of Trudeau. Also the Green and NDP parties have vowed to utterly destroy Alberta.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

... Albertains have odd notions. Alberta is an important province but it does not bankroll the rest of the country; economically, it is less than half the size of Ontario and is smaller than Quebec as well. It is economically larger than BC though!

Yeah, that is why the Council of Western Provincial Leaders was formed - ie to collectively counter the individual economic influence of Ontario and Quebec.  Put together it is roughly equivalent to the economic impact of Ontario

Grey Fox

It's probably because their Per capita GDP is so high?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Malthus on October 21, 2019, 12:45:20 PM

Although Alberta contains only 11.6% of Canada's population, we comprise 17.3% of our GDP.  The "bankrolls Canada" notion is usually meant in terms of equalization payments.  The only provinces that don't receive equalization are BC, Alberta, Sask and Newfoundland.  But because those provinces have much smaller per-capita GDP (and other than BC, are much smaller in population) that means that Alberta is a huge massive contributor to equalization payments across Canada.

In the end I will vote Conservative today (although with the polling in Alberta my vote is meaningless - it will be a Conservative tidal wave here).  I just do not want Trudeau's ethical failings anywhere near the PMO.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

And Viper tried so hard to defend you too.

When we get over 1.5 C you will continue to the do the Canadian equivalent of venting about emails.

The Minsky Moment

BC's got plenty of economic clout.  Film shoots, boltholes for erstwhile Chicomms, and wood.  What else do you need?

Oh right, oil and cows.  That's what Alberta's for! Complementarity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 01:24:38 PM

When we get over 1.5 C you will continue to the do the Canadian equivalent of venting about emails.

SNC Lavalin is nothing like Clinton's emails, and Scheer is nothing like Trump.

In any event the Green Party has not impressed this election - it continues to be a one-woman show.  The Green Party candidate in an Edmonton riding (not mine) pulled out and is urging people to vote NDP.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 01:28:41 PM

In any event the Green Party has not impressed this election - it continues to be a one-woman show.  The Green Party candidate in an Edmonton riding (not mine) pulled out and is urging people to vote NDP.

When your kids ask you what you did to stop climate change - explain that to them.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 21, 2019, 01:31:27 PM

When your kids ask you what you did to stop climate change - explain that to them.

OK. :)

HVC

voting for someone whose height of experience is an insurance companies go-for? how the mighty has fallen
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Has Trudeau taken any major steps to combat climate change?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2019, 01:38:40 PM
voting for someone whose height of experience is an insurance companies go-for? how the mighty has fallen

His experience is in being an MP for 15 years, Deputy Speaker for 4 years and Speaker for another 4 years.  I think I've long expressed a preference for experienced politicians.

Anyways, you vote for the candidates on the ballot, not the candidates you wish were on the ballot.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Eddie Teach on October 21, 2019, 01:46:15 PM

Has Trudeau taken any major steps to combat climate change?

Not sure what that has to do with not voting for a party that was going to take major steps.

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2019, 01:32:14 PM
OK. :)

Just make sure you raise them to be climate deniers/delayers like the rest of your party  :)

Syt

Quote from: viper37 on October 21, 2019, 12:42:40 PM

Hopefully, it's a troll... but with vegans, you never know...

Isn't Adderall methamphetamine based?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.