News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 28, 2022, 05:58:17 PMI bought my first record.
A pre order of British Sea Powers new album.
I don't have a record player.
I'm not sure what to do with it..

Well, over here they are pretty expensive now - my sons use an old turntable passed down from their grandfather.  We did the wise thing (not) and got rid of ours when we converted to CDs.

Josephus

Marillion...An Hour Before It's Dark. First Listen.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Duque de Bragança

Very popular among hipsters, selling quite well lately so with a bit of patience you should be able to find one at a decent price.

Josquius

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on March 03, 2022, 10:41:32 AM

Very popular among hipsters, selling quite well lately so with a bit of patience you should be able to find one at a decent price.

I don't really want a record player. I am happy to just listen to the album digitally. But I like the band a lot so wanted to support them.
I am thinking some kind of wall mount but for that I need a free wall, which I don't have currently.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

Indian band Bloodywood have released a third song with video from their debut album. Previous songs were Gaddaar (about corrupt politicians stoking divisions and hate to win elections and enrich themselves), Aaj (about not giving up in the face of adversity), and now another awesome song (this time against rape):

:punk:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Savonarola

Koko Taylor - Koko Taylor (1969)

Produced (and mostly written) by Willie Dixon; so I thought this was a passing of the torch album, but I see Dixon is only about 13 years older than Taylor.  In any event this is a great album; Koko belts out the Chicago style blues like only she could.  Her duet with Willie Dixon, Insane Asylum, (though it does sound suspiciously like an electric St. James Infirmary Blues) is on fire.  Some of the songs have rock influence; I thought that was kind of funny like Dixon had stolen from the people who had stolen from him.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

The Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed (1969)

Continues on in the same style as Beggar's Banquet; with maybe a slightly heavier sound.  There's a couple misses on it; most notably the re-working of "Honky-Tonk Woman" into "Country Honk," but the hits are great.  "Gimme Shelter" seems to foresee their participation at the Altamont Free Concert (about a week after the album was released); and "You Can't Always Get What You Want" will forever be quoted by pop-psychologists.  The two roots tracks "You Got the Silver" and their version of Robert Johnson's "Love in Vain" are both extraordinary; I think that's the best remake of a Robert Johnson song.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Savonarola

John Lennon / Plastic Ono Band - Live Peace in Toronto 1969

John slapped his band together practically the morning they were set to fly out.  (He had never drummer Alan White before; so white thought one of his friends was prank calling him pretending to be John Lennon.)  The results, on side one, are surprisingly good - something of a garage band take on rock standards (Blue Suede Shoes, Money and Dizzy Miss Lizzy) and Lennon/Beatles tracks (Yer Blues, Cold Turkey and Give Peace a Chance) if your garage band had John Lennon and Eric Clapton in it.  Side 2, where Yoko Ono... er... vocalizes is... uhm... a unique experience.  I can only assume that this album didn't survive into the 22nd Century; because Star Fleet could have totally used Yoko's vocals as a convincing substitute for the songs of humpback whales.

The Brain

After my Ukraine trip in 2019 I started listening to some Ukrainian music. This remains one of my favorite songs:

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

Fairport Convention - Liege and Lief (1969)

While they had a traditional English folk song on "Unhalfbricking" ("A Sailor's Life") and clearly showed some influence from English ballads on "Who Knows Where the Time Goes;" in this one they go all in.  All but two songs are arrangements of traditional English folk songs.  It does give the album something of a Renaissance Festival (HUZZAH!) vibe, (in fact in the bonus tracks there's a version of "Sir Patrick Spens,") but it is well done.

Syt

Apparently the Bundeswehr's Kommando Cyber- und Informationsraum (Cyber and Information Domain Service):

has its own march. The Cyber March. Doesn't sound any like the Hell March from Red Alert, but rather reminds me of lighthearted 60/70s war movies. :hmm:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.