And we're back!

Main Menu

Android Thread

Started by derspiess, March 06, 2011, 11:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on December 27, 2012, 11:21:32 AM
What is the point of one of those?

To be clear this is an honest question.  I just woke up and haven't even made my first cup of tea so things are still a little fuzzy.

For me it would be to tinker around with yet another Linux/Android-based device.

For most others it would be an easy, cheap, and zero-footprint solution for having Netflix and other apps on their TVs.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

sbr

I'm turning into my Mom.  I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THIS TECHNOLOGY STUFF.  WHY DOES THE TV NEED THE INTERNET??

derspiess

Quote from: sbr on December 27, 2012, 11:47:08 AM
I'm turning into my Mom.  I DON'T UNDERSTAND ALL THIS TECHNOLOGY STUFF.  WHY DOES THE TV NEED THE INTERNET??

Well yeah you're both of my parents, actually.  They refuse to learn any of the smart tv functions on their Samsung TV because they just don't get it.  Dad would rather walk down to the basement and look up something on his computer when he can accomplish the same thing via an app with a couple button presses.

Anyway, it's not about "need" any more than I "need" all my other gadgets.  If I see something relatively cheap that can do something new, or do it in a different way, ME WANT.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Anyway, after some struggling I set up VPN between my Galaxy S III and my home network.  Turns out I had the tools right in front of me all along.  Windows Home Server has a VPN server builit into it that you just need to do a few clicks to enable.  And my phone has a VPN client built into the Settings menu (along with a much more complicated stand-alone app).

So having accomplished that, I'm trying to figure out what I need to use VPN for :mellow:

MadBurgerMaker

Just traded my old Atrix in for an LG Optimus G.

Whoa.

derspiess

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on January 12, 2013, 12:19:52 AM
Just traded my old Atrix in for an LG Optimus G.

Whoa.

Nice phone.  Does yours have Jelly Bean yet?

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: derspiess on January 12, 2013, 10:42:24 AM
Nice phone.  Does yours have Jelly Bean yet?

Not yet, no. I understand it has been released for certain versions though, so hopefully not much longer.

MadBurgerMaker

Uh, yeah, I traded that LG in REAL FAST today after I set it down on my desk at work and the glass on the back all broke.  Seriously.  I set it down, and a couple seconds later, there was a pop and cracking sounds.  I looked, and the back was all cracked. 

I got the HTC One X+ instead.  Not quite as awesome, but this one won't shatter when I set it down, so...uh....that's nice.

E: The Beats Audio thing seems stupid though.

derspiess

I liked my HTC EVO 4g LTE which is a lot like the One X. I sorta like my Galaxy S3 better but there were trade-offs.

The Beats Audio thing is kinda dumb. It definitely improves sound quality with it on, save but I suspect they just made it sound shittier without it on just to make that mode sound better by comparison. It's a stupid hyped up gimmick though. The way they advertise it you almost think you're getting the headphones included.

Liep

My Samsung is finally coming back from repairs, seems they changed something called the mainboard. Hopefully it'll work so I can sell it on and get new gadget.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on January 16, 2013, 05:08:40 AM
My Samsung is finally coming back from repairs, seems they changed something called the mainboard. Hopefully it'll work so I can sell it on and get new gadget.

That's the entire guts of the phone, including the onboard memory, processor, etc.  Surprised they didn't just give you a new phone. 

fhdz

In May when I'm up for an upgrade, I'm trading in my iPhone 4S for a Samsung Galaxy Note II. I can't wait.
and the horse you rode in on

Liep

Finally sold my GII. She didn't seem to be a tech genius and I didn't think to keep the manual, so I'm a little worried that giving her my mail address was a wrong move. Can I look forward to "how do I turn this thing on"-mails?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Quote from: Liep on February 06, 2013, 09:54:09 AM
Finally sold my GII. She didn't seem to be a tech genius and I didn't think to keep the manual, so I'm a little worried that giving her my mail address was a wrong move. Can I look forward to "how do I turn this thing on"-mails?

Possibly.  Does anyone read those manuals?  Maybe you'll luck out & she'll be the type that only uses it as a phone and texting device, maybe with a little email sprinkled on top. 

But more importantly, what are you using now?

Liep

I've jumped across to the dark white side of Apple. And I'm loving the iPhone 5.