2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oexmelin

Read on Twitter: DeSantis should be forced to carry his presidential campaign to term.
Que le grand cric me croque !

HVC

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2024, 12:53:25 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIg4w5cbykM

DeSantis out, endorses Trump.

Trumps super power is that he can spit in someone's face and they'll still endorse him when they drop out.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: Oexmelin on January 22, 2024, 01:48:41 AMRead on Twitter: DeSantis should be forced to carry his presidential campaign to term.
:D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2024, 04:24:35 AMBut will he learn social skills?

His whole manner has been pretty extraordinary.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on January 22, 2024, 04:24:35 AM
Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2024, 04:08:49 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 22, 2024, 12:53:25 AMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIg4w5cbykM

He's young, he can wait another term or two.

But will he learn social skills?

Will he need to? He can just keep yukking it up in FL for his base.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on January 22, 2024, 01:52:06 AM

Trumps super power is that he can spit in someone's face and they'll still endorse him when they drop out.

Everyone wants to endorse the winner; and his debates with Haley were pretty nasty (largely because they agreed on every policy issue other than level of support for Ukraine, so they had to be personal.)  Also DeSantis is term limited and cannot run for governor of Florida in 2026, so he may be angling for a cabinet position.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Syt on January 22, 2024, 06:17:43 AMWill he need to? He can just keep yukking it up in FL for his base.

I expect that will end (and, much more importantly, our national media will no longer care) now that he's no longer running for president.  There will probably be some sort of quiet reconciliation between his administration and Disney.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Caliga

Quote from: Savonarola on January 22, 2024, 08:24:34 AMEveryone wants to endorse the winner; and his debates with Haley were pretty nasty (largely because they agreed on every policy issue other than level of support for Ukraine, so they had to be personal.)  Also DeSantis is term limited and cannot run for governor of Florida in 2026, so he may be angling for a cabinet position.
Last time around Trump learned he can only trust his family, so if there's a second Trump term it'll be Ivanka, Chief of Staff, Don Jr, Secretary of Defense, Eric Trump, Secretary of the Treasury, Jared Kushner, Secretary of State, Barron Trump, Secretary of Education (since he's a student, he knows a lot about education), etc.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Savonarola

Quote from: Caliga on January 22, 2024, 12:02:36 PMLast time around Trump learned he can only trust his family, so if there's a second Trump term it'll be Ivanka, Chief of Staff, Don Jr, Secretary of Defense, Eric Trump, Secretary of the Treasury, Jared Kushner, Secretary of State, Barron Trump, Secretary of Education (since he's a student, he knows a lot about education), etc.

:lol:

He can't actually do that, but he will surround himself entirely with hyper-loyal yes-men (probably the ones who stayed on board after the Jan 6 events).  I don't think DeSantis has a realistic shot at a position in a Trump administration; if that was his goal he should have rolled the dice and endorsed Haley.

OttoVonBismarck

Their tunes may change if he wins again, but the scuttlebutt is Ivanka and Jared want to be separated from Trump's political career. Nothing to do with them rejecting his politics, just the negative blowback they got in term one affected them in ways they care about. They are NYC socialites with fingers in a lot of businesses, too close an association with Donald isn't to their benefit.

Eric appears to be busy actually running what remains of Trump's companies.

Now, Don Jr only appears to have right wing cultural grievance politics and right wing grifting on his plate, so he would almost certainly be a part of the Trump White House in some capacity. None of them would be cabinet officials though.

Admiral Yi