Quote from: Maladict on June 01, 2023, 01:14:06 AMNice  :cool:

We should have a museum ship thread.

You're shipping museums?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Maladict on June 01, 2023, 01:14:06 AMNice  :cool:

We should have a museum ship thread.

:D

I'm running out of doable ships, there's one or two in kent/dover, then it's probably up towards Josq. neck of the woods or over to N.France and the Netherlands.

Though there is a preserved lightship in Gloucester docks I think.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maladict

Barrister

I play rec hockey.  I started playing in 2018, so 5 years ago.  Once a week with the boys.  I really enjoy it, but I'm not very good at it.  I typically play defence because I'm not a bad skater, but lousy with the puck.  In particular in those 5 years I've never scored a goal.

So last night we build up an early 5-0 lead.  We don't want to embarrass the other team so we shuffle positions around.  Now I'm playing winger, which I don't like as I don't feel like I know where to be on the ice.

But wouldn't you know it - I score not one, but two fucking goals last night.  My team mates go nuts because they know I've never scored.  And hell - at this division you're only allowed to score two goals - by the end of the third period I'm coming in alone on the goalie and have to look around for someone to pass to.

But anyways - it was one to remember.  Even at 48 years old you can still make sports memories.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on June 15, 2023, 11:19:17 AMI play rec hockey.  I started playing in 2018, so 5 years ago.  Once a week with the boys.  I really enjoy it, but I'm not very good at it.  I typically play defence because I'm not a bad skater, but lousy with the puck.  In particular in those 5 years I've never scored a goal.

So last night we build up an early 5-0 lead.  We don't want to embarrass the other team so we shuffle positions around.  Now I'm playing winger, which I don't like as I don't feel like I know where to be on the ice.

But wouldn't you know it - I score not one, but two fucking goals last night.  My team mates go nuts because they know I've never scored.  And hell - at this division you're only allowed to score two goals - by the end of the third period I'm coming in alone on the goalie and have to look around for someone to pass to.

But anyways - it was one to remember.  Even at 48 years old you can still make sports memories.

Outstanding!  :cheers:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

I was at the Orlando Museum of Art yesterday.  I saw a guy with a "Defund the HOA" T-Shirt, at last a message that speaks for all of America.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

I attended an online lecture from the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg Florida about Algorithmic Art.  Like many art movements this one has its own manifesto.  While usually manifestos are a cry for help, and if you do ever catch anyone writing one I strongly encourage you to tell him to seek immediate professional psychiatric care, this one, the Algorist Manifesto, is one that I can get behind:

if (creation && object of art && algorithm && one's own algorithm) {
include * an algorist *
} elseif (!creation || !object of art || !algorithm || !one's own algorithm) {
exclude * not an algorist *
}

(While I don't encourage it, if you do decide to write your own manifesto, please use Courier font.  Manifestos are at least 50% more effective when written in Courier font.  Also shooting a prominent artist is a good way to draw attention to your manifesto, though I don't recommend doing that either.)

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: Savonarola on July 28, 2023, 12:55:04 PMI attended an online lecture from the Dali Museum in St. Petersburg Florida about Algorithmic Art.  Like many art movements this one has its own manifesto.  While usually manifestos are a cry for help, and if you do ever catch anyone writing one I strongly encourage you to tell him to seek immediate professional psychiatric care, this one, the Algorist Manifesto, is one that I can get behind:

if (creation && object of art && algorithm && one's own algorithm) {
include * an algorist *
} elseif (!creation || !object of art || !algorithm || !one's own algorithm) {
exclude * not an algorist *
}

(While I don't encourage it, if you do decide to write your own manifesto, please use Courier font.  Manifestos are at least 50% more effective when written in Courier font.  Also shooting a prominent artist is a good way to draw attention to your manifesto, though I don't recommend doing that either.)

IIRC I was rather taken with the Stuckists manifesto.  :bowler:

Jacob

Found a still decent bike abandoned by the side of our house, with a bag of stuff (clothes) next to it. Posted on the local reddit to see if anyone claims it, otherwise we'll contact to the police and hand it over to them.

crazy canuck

Sounds like a homeless person's property.  They won't find your Reddit message. I suggest posting a written message near where you found the bike.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 29, 2023, 07:25:24 PMFound a still decent bike abandoned by the side of our house, with a bag of stuff (clothes) next to it. Posted on the local reddit to see if anyone claims it, otherwise we'll contact to the police and hand it over to them.

As CC said, probably "belongs" to a homeless person, but is also highly likely to be stolen as well.  Perhaps check out the serial number here:

https://project529.com/garage

(which is what is recommended by VPD apparently)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

mongers

Went around the museum today with the director and some volunteers for a behind the scenes tour of the building works for the new galleries, interesting stuff I'd forgotten about quite a few of the odd nocks and crannies in the place.

Guess that's what happens with a base 15th/16th century building; 500 years worth of bodging potential, especially by the Victorians.

Of course the whole thing is a Grade 1 listed building so lots of difficult decisions and work arounds to bring it's usability into the 21st century.

Odd there was one volunteer who was keen to ask lots of questions, the director didn't recognise them but understandable given the places 150+ helpers, I certainly only know a relative handful.

Turn out apparently they were just a regular tourist who tagged along for a free tour of an extended museum building site, a nice blag. 

Maybe I can try something similar when I visit the Ashmolean next week? :grin:

Syt

Went to the German passport office to file for new passport and ID card (the old ones are expiring). Checked the website, prepared requested documents, made sure I had enough cash with me to pay.

I arrived a bit before my appointment, and a lady was in front of me. No biggie. She seemed to need a replacement passport after losing hers (it happens, I've been there myself). Her boyfriend was hastily making photocopies of all kinds of documents at the public copier in the waiting area (10+ at €0.50 a piece). When I got to the "waiting chair" near the counter, right behind the lady (questionable in terms of GDPR, but whatever), it turned out she was still missing some docs. Oh, and she didn't have enough cash with her - she had known the fee to get a new passport, but did not realize that postage was extra (they only send the docs to you these days and use registered mail and it says so on the site, even though she insisted it didn't). So she needs to come back tomorrow to bring the missing docs and money.

Anyways, when it was my turn I was in and out in 15 minutes, with both applications filed, everything signed and paid for in cash (same as when I had lost my passport 10 years ago).

:smarty:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.