News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

I like that the Monts in Belgian are all squished along the very non mountainy border.

And Portugals are all in the same place too.

The new town thing is true. Particularly interesting between Poland and czechia with the similar name and quite how many there are. I'd probably guess this is a 20th century thing - there are a lot of new towns in the UK too, only we gave them proper names also.
██████
██████
██████

HVC

Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2023, 12:43:57 AMAnd Portugals are all in the same place too.

Guess northern Portugal has a lot of walnut groves
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2023, 12:43:57 AMAnd Portugals are all in the same place too.

One outlier near Bragança, however. ;)
Been there I think.
Plus one near Coimbra not mentioned (a village not a hamlet).

Of the 8 mentioned (freguesias or  civil parishes) three no longer exist, due to administrative changes (mergers).

Yes, more walnuts than in the south. :P

PS: Portuguese wiki contradicts itself, so 3 or 4 Nogueiras remaining.

celedhring

Quote from: mongers on May 24, 2023, 10:16:15 PM
Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2023, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2023, 11:21:23 AMlol the Hungarian one is a bit misleading. It means "grape-hill" (well, grape mountain but we like calling hills mountains, we are plains people), it is usually the area of a village/town where the tiny vineries owned by the local families are (or I guess these days, were). So of course you do a search and this is going to lead.

It only shows 3 hits though. The graph says they looked up only names of cities/towns/villages.

I was reading Spain's and thinking "huh, those don't strike me as being common at all" and then I noticed they have low hits too.

Spaniards have used the most imagination in naming places, some countries in E.Europe, Poland and Roumania less so?

Though I wonder if there's a correlation with number of historical invasions/settlements by different 'tribes/races' and the diversity found in place names?

Well, from the names in the Spanish list I can identify 4 different provenances (Basque, Arab, Portuguese-Galician, Castillian) so you may have a point.

But eastern Europe has hardly been a quiet place itself.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2023, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2023, 11:21:23 AMlol the Hungarian one is a bit misleading. It means "grape-hill" (well, grape mountain but we like calling hills mountains, we are plains people), it is usually the area of a village/town where the tiny vineries owned by the local families are (or I guess these days, were). So of course you do a search and this is going to lead.

It only shows 3 hits though. The graph says they looked up only names of cities/towns/villages.

I was reading Spain's and thinking "huh, those don't strike me as being common at all" and then I noticed they have low hits too.

Ah, right. I guess it depends on whether the "grape mountain" is marked as it's own locale in whatever map they were using. Like in my hometown there is definitely a part everyone called "szolohegy" but I don't think it shows up on any official map as such.

Barrister

For your viewing pleasure, check out how many lakes in Canada are called "Fish Lake":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_named_Fish_Lake
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Josquius

Quote from: Barrister on May 25, 2023, 02:50:17 PMFor your viewing pleasure, check out how many lakes in Canada are called "Fish Lake":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_lakes_named_Fish_Lake

Those early explorers sure swallowed a lot of lead.
██████
██████
██████

celedhring

You know, I made some research. Apparently in the XIXth century there was a drive to distinguish similar town names in Spain, coinciding with the modernization of the administration. That's why many similar Spanish town names have "surnames" (i.e. adding the name of the closest river or other rellevant geographic feature).  This was finally formalized in a 1916 decree that changed lthe name of around 1000 towns. According to it, the town with the most population got to keep its name, and the others had to change to something else.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2023, 12:43:57 AMI like that the Monts in Belgian are all squished along the very non mountainy border.

The new town thing is true. Particularly interesting between Poland and czechia with the similar name and quite how many there are. I'd probably guess this is a 20th century thing - there are a lot of new towns in the UK too, only we gave them proper names also.

Proper names like Newcastle.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

No 2 towns have the same name in Québec.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Quote from: Eddie Teach on May 25, 2023, 03:35:07 PM
Quote from: Josquius on May 25, 2023, 12:43:57 AMI like that the Monts in Belgian are all squished along the very non mountainy border.

Proper names like Newcastle.

Not a new town and not that common a name. There's 3 in the UK iirc.

A few months back I went to see a semi famous American indie band on a European tour. Their Newcastle date was oddly between London and Manchester. Seems they didn't realise there were 2 in England.
██████
██████
██████

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Sheilbh

Early doors but initial results in Turkey look close. Opposition aligned press show Kilicdaroglu  in the lead and even the state media is showing momentum as boxes are being opened.

Certainly looks like it'll be tight.

Separately struck again at how, despite very different context and reasons, Turkish and US electoral maps look kind of similar :lol:

Edit: Although, apparently, lots more reports of irregularities this round.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Looking like Erdoğan won.
Reading a lot of stuff about opposition voters being scared to admit it and trying to blend in with the celebration.
Jeez turkey is fucked.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

It was pretty clear from the first round results that Erdogan was going to win.

One would think tanking the economy and failing to handle a huge natural disaster would spell doom for a candidate but not in Turkey I guess.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."