News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FunkMonk

Quote from: grumbler on April 13, 2023, 08:44:31 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on April 13, 2023, 10:13:30 AMThe Pacific War YouTuber guy who did some great videos on Midway and Pearl Harbor has returned (finally)

I was just coming here to mention these.  He did make a mistake regarding FJF, though.  FJF left on the day outlined in the plan.  What he did not do was extend the carrier coverage for an extra day, as Turner and Vandergrift wanted.  The latter were culpable in the failure of the amphibs to unload the cargo ships because the Marines assigned to the beach det were far too few, and hundreds of Marines (including Vandergrift) just stood around watching.

I thought that it was interesting that the Marine colonel assigned to Fletcher's staff (the man best-placed to balance the needs of the carriers and the Marines, supported the withdrawal of the carriers when they left.

Fletcher got fucked over by King, and to this day I've not seen any sign that anyone in power ever confronted King on the replacement of the battle-winning Fletcher with the bungling Noyes and then battle-losing Kincaid.

Great videos, though.

I was hoping to see your opinion. Good to see these new videos are as good histories as the other videos he's done. :cool:

I knew nothing about this battle so I really liked the parts in the first video which prompts the viewer to make a decision based on what Fletcher knew at the time. Really puts you in the person's shoes, as any good history does.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 13, 2023, 08:56:45 PMI was hoping to see your opinion. Good to see these new videos are as good histories as the other videos he's done. :cool:

I knew nothing about this battle so I really liked the parts in the first video which prompts the viewer to make a decision based on what Fletcher knew at the time. Really puts you in the person's shoes, as any good history does.

I only wish that we had enough information to do the same for the Japanese side.  Those records were mostly destroyed during the surrender.

I also liked the reconstruction of the battle through Fletcher's eyes.  I've read Lundstrom, but he presents the omniscient view of the battle.  HP Wilmott does better at analyzing the decisions, but he doesn't go into the detail presented here.  This is an excellent use of existing history to focus on seeing things through a different lens.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

grumbler

Speaking of battle reconstructions, Ward Carroll did an interesting one on Operation Praying Mantis, the US retaliation for the Iranian mining of the Sammy B.

As they note, this was the last single-service US combat operation before everything became joint and messy.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Jacob

Okay, so these recommendations are mainly of use to those of us who have to watch young-child youtube (which is some of us) as opposed to directly appeal to the average languishite...

Recently I've come across Scratch Garden, and their stuff is IMO pretty good (and by "pretty good" I mean "significantly less inane than average"). The music is pretty catchy (in the non-annoying way) and there's a sense of humour underlying them too.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Saw this earlier on terrestial TV:
Tubeway Army - Are Friends Electric? Live at The Old Grey Whistle Test

Surprised it doesn't feel too dated, guess it helps Gary Newman was just getting into his stride then.

Note to Tyre/Josq, the music is pre-Thatcher( :bowler: ), but the performance is from about 3 weeks after she came to power.  :(  Are you conflicted?  :P
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

mongers

About the music video of 'Into The Great Wide Open' it's almost easier to ask who isn't in it, also do people still make video this long, 6min 30sec, anymore?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Josephus

An early TV version of Dire Straits doing Sultans of Swing. Would hate to be in that audience...not my scene.

https://youtu.be/trjXtH39aX4
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Guys, not a pogo beat.

Cool of Lou Reed to show up.

Syt

Josh Strife Hayes asks, "Chrono Trigger - Was it any Good?" (Spoiler: it was :P )

If you're looking for some 2 hour nostalgia bait to have on in the background on Sunday, here you are. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Crazy_Ivan80

https://www.youtube.com/@QuinnsIdeas

again for what it's worth:

but this guy produces videos deepdiving into lore and what not of more than a few SF (and adjoining genres) books/series.
Definately enjoyed his Dune material last year.

Syt

Just leaving this here ... :whistle:

—Stephen Jay Gould

Barrister

In the wild world of the Youtube algorithm, I ran across a video of someone posting videos of freemen/sovereign citizens interacting with police.  One video then turned into many more showing up as recommended.  Sometimes it's the police body cam, sometimes it's the freeman recording it themselves.

Maybe you have to be in my line of work, but it's quite cathartic to watch these videos of police being very polite and measured while the subject acting completely idiotically.  The best ones of course are where the police ultimately have to get quite physical with the subject, but the ones where the person goes quietly are satisfying as well.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on August 03, 2023, 03:38:31 PMIn the wild world of the Youtube algorithm, I ran across a video of someone posting videos of freemen/sovereign citizens interacting with police.  One video then turned into many more showing up as recommended.  Sometimes it's the police body cam, sometimes it's the freeman recording it themselves.

Maybe you have to be in my line of work, but it's quite cathartic to watch these videos of police being very polite and measured while the subject acting completely idiotically.  The best ones of course are where the police ultimately have to get quite physical with the subject, but the ones where the person goes quietly are satisfying as well.

A while back I had to deal with a number of these guys in various forms of litigation - mainly trespass and breaches of regulatory requirements.

I thought they had disappeared or at least diminished in number when word got out that in fact the law of the land does apply to them.