News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

It would have made more sense if                              , or rather            .
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I enjoyed the first season of The Diplomat so I gave Madame Secretary a try.  Tea Leoni is an ex-CIA current university professor who gets tapped for Secretary of State to replace someone who died in a plane crash.

Tea is a hottie and I applaud her milfiness but the little nagging issues I had with The Diplomat are ramped up to 11.  Namely, that both protagonists are micromanaging all kinds of shit either above or below their pay grades.  And generally they don't scan as how things really work in the executive.

Giving up after an episode and a half.

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on May 17, 2023, 09:38:02 PMTed Lasso.  Watched the last episode. Did I miss something? Why is Nate not with the team ? Why is he so depressed?

So I was out of town, took the flights as an opportunity to catch up on Ted Lasso.

Spoilers:

Nope - didn't miss anything.  Exactly what precipitated Nate leaving West Ham is not stated.

Good episode with lots of personal growth, but felt rushed and a little unearned.  Nate and his father's reconciliation in particular seemed like it was out of the blue.  Also something like the "Super League" could easily have been a season-long story arc, not a B plot in a one-and-done episode.

They're definitely bringing this thing in for a landing, trying to wrap up as many dangling plot lines as they can.  Only 2 episodes left.

Roy Kent in the tie-dye was fun though.  And not so subtle that the next day, while he wasn't wearing the tie-dye, he was wearing at least a little bit of colour.  Mean Danni Rojas was also fun - though the "Canadian" commentary for the Canada-Mexico match was painful.  Besides we just import Brits for soccer announcing anyways.

Not much Ted though.  Guess that's going to be one of the next two episodes.

Final ending seems obvious though - Ted (and Beard) are going to go back to the US, Nate comes back to manage Richmond.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Barrister on May 23, 2023, 12:23:26 PMNope - didn't miss anything.  Exactly what precipitated Nate leaving West Ham is not stated.

I think it's hinted at very briefly in the intro - "reports of improper conduct" at WestHam. Since we see Rupert with a new personal assistant, I assume that's the "improper" conduct. And between this, his "guys night" at the end of the previous episode and realizing his "old crew" still cares (and not getting on with the new sycophants in the club kissing up to him) probably led to a "what am I doing here?" moment.

But yeah, it kinda feels like an episode's worth of conent was skipped. :D
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Yeah, as BB says, Nate's character development seemed rushed; although BB's prediction for the ending may be the reason why they need to move Nate back to the "good side" of things. It seems strange that they rushed through all that and yet many other scenes are too long...like anything to do with KeeLee or whatever her name is.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

Watching Last Tango In Halifax.  Two old widowed Limeys hook up.  I have this idea in my head that old age romances or rom coms are all shyte so I stayed away from this for a long time but it's pretty good.

Eye candy: none.

Gups

Finished Colin from Accounts, an Aussie comedy. Best comedy I've seen since Derry Girls.

Josephus

Anyone watching Love and Death. Based on a true story of an adulterous affair gone wrong in Texas in the late 70s. It's told in that quarky southern style and has Jesse Plemons and one Elizabeth Olsen-- whom I thought was one of the Olsen twins but is really their baby sib.Really quite good.
Civis Romanus Sum

Eddie Teach

She's also the Scarlet Witch.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Question for the Brits re Last Tango in Halifax: is it common in the UK, or in the Manchester area, or the rural parts, for people to end phone conversations with 3 good byes?

Person A: bye
Person B: bye
Person A: bye
hangs up

Sheilbh

Yeah I think so.

(Also FYI: Manchester is in Lancashire, Halifax is in Yorkshire. You'd get tarred and feathered if you mixed them up there :P)
Let's bomb Russia!

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2023, 09:37:10 PMYeah I think so.

(Also FYI: Manchester is in Lancashire, Halifax is in Yorkshire. You'd get tarred and feathered if you mixed them up there :P)

Because they're basically the same and refuse the admit it? :unsure: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 25, 2023, 09:37:10 PM(Also FYI: Manchester is in Lancashire, Halifax is in Yorkshire. You'd get tarred and feathered if you mixed them up there :P)

They need to get over themselves.

I asked Manchester because they were talking about a character flitting off to Manchester for fun when she was younger.