News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Off Topic Topic

Started by Korea, March 10, 2009, 06:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

10pm and it's still light. This seems to have snuck up on us very suddenly. I suppose the crap weather of the past month has masked it well.

QuoteJapanese culture all derives from Osaka/Kyoto (can't tell because of the dot placement)? 

Kyoto. And basically yes.

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 19, 2023, 07:40:13 AMI watch NHK newsworld regularly and I feel like they never spend anytime talking about Tokyo.

NHK world is totally different to domestic NHK.
Not surprised on world they'd be showing more nation wide stuff. There's quite a push to get tourists to spread out around the country more.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 20, 2023, 02:12:59 PMRIP Martin Amis :(

:(

Time's Arrow was one of the most fascinating books I have read.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Quote from: grumbler on May 20, 2023, 04:59:23 PM:(

Time's Arrow was one of the most fascinating books I have read.
Yeah. The run of books he had in the mid-80s and early 90s was outstanding - Money, London Fields, Time's Arrow. I think he's one of the great stylists of the last 50 years too.

His non-fiction essays are normally great too, The War Against Cliche, has a great selection of his criticism. I can still remember lines and lines of argument from his essays on Larkin, for example.

I haven't read any of his more recent novels but I've heard that, like Time's Arrow, the ones dealing with the totalitarian 20th century - House of Meetings  and Zone of Interest - are excellent.

Edit: Also feels like his death draws a contrast with a lot of contemporary writing. I think his writing was about style and what style could do in a novel (suiting his literary heroes: Nabokov, Roth and Bellow). That - and any interest in form - feel like very 20th century preoccupations now.
Let's bomb Russia!

celedhring

Yeah, I read Time's Arrow when I was a teen and it had a pretty big effect on me. I always like to play with how people experience life/time when I write "my stuff" instead of work-for-hire, and that and Slaughterhouse V are the books I blame for it.

Sheilbh

From online - love that the Welsh word for pharmacy, fferyllfa stems from Fferyll the Welsh for Virgil and his Medieval reputation as a wizard :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josquius

TIL the expression hook me up used in that way.

██████
██████
██████

Tamas

lol the Hungarian one is a bit misleading. It means "grape-hill" (well, grape mountain but we like calling hills mountains, we are plains people), it is usually the area of a village/town where the tiny vineries owned by the local families are (or I guess these days, were). So of course you do a search and this is going to lead.

celedhring

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2023, 11:21:23 AMlol the Hungarian one is a bit misleading. It means "grape-hill" (well, grape mountain but we like calling hills mountains, we are plains people), it is usually the area of a village/town where the tiny vineries owned by the local families are (or I guess these days, were). So of course you do a search and this is going to lead.

It only shows 3 hits though. The graph says they looked up only names of cities/towns/villages.

I was reading Spain's and thinking "huh, those don't strike me as being common at all" and then I noticed they have low hits too.

Maladict

Interesting to see variations of Newtown everywhere in southeastern Europe. I wonder if they are all Ottoman settlements.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Maladict on May 24, 2023, 02:54:48 PMInteresting to see variations of Newtown everywhere in southeastern Europe. I wonder if they are all Ottoman settlements.
I thought maybe Communist - also Nowa in Poland and Nova in Czechia?
Let's bomb Russia!

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on May 24, 2023, 02:56:14 PM
Quote from: Maladict on May 24, 2023, 02:54:48 PMInteresting to see variations of Newtown everywhere in southeastern Europe. I wonder if they are all Ottoman settlements.
I thought maybe Communist - also Nowa in Poland and Nova in Czechia?

Could be, but that doesn't explain Greece and Turkey.

Valmy

Must be hard to get your mail in Yenikoy, Turkey
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: celedhring on May 24, 2023, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2023, 11:21:23 AMlol the Hungarian one is a bit misleading. It means "grape-hill" (well, grape mountain but we like calling hills mountains, we are plains people), it is usually the area of a village/town where the tiny vineries owned by the local families are (or I guess these days, were). So of course you do a search and this is going to lead.

It only shows 3 hits though. The graph says they looked up only names of cities/towns/villages.

I was reading Spain's and thinking "huh, those don't strike me as being common at all" and then I noticed they have low hits too.

Spaniards have used the most imagination in naming places, some countries in E.Europe, Poland and Roumania less so?

Though I wonder if there's a correlation with number of historical invasions/settlements by different 'tribes/races' and the diversity found in place names?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"