News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Football (Soccer) Thread

Started by Liep, March 11, 2009, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Looks like Everton could be down then. Only one game left to play. Leeds need to win whilst Everton lose.
Leeds are playing Tottenham.
██████
██████
██████

Sheilbh

We've got Bournemouth. Really need them to already be on the beach :lol: :ph34r:
Let's bomb Russia!

FunkMonk

Despite Everton inevitably destroying Arsenal at Goodison every season, I'd prefer to see you stay up  :P

I really want Leicester to go down though  :menace:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Josquius

Football/Turkey politics cross-over. Had this video thrown at me on youtube today. Interesting stuff I hadn't heard of before.

██████
██████
██████

Josquius

Please let the crackdown come before nufc win something.
██████
██████
██████

FunkMonk

Quote from: Josquius on May 23, 2023, 09:01:53 AMPlease let the crackdown come before nufc win something.

:lol:  :cry:

Gups

I hate the Man City hegemony as much as anyone. But they all cheat, every chance they get. Players on the pitch,  managers in the dug out and in the press, oligarchs and state owners in the executive boxes. And fans are more than happy to turn a blind eye as long as its their team. Struggling to see why Man City are in some kind of different moral dimension to anyone else. 

FunkMonk

I think part of it is the blatant criminality with which it's been undertaken. Even the league had to do something about it with its 115 charges.

The sheer unfairness of having the richest nations in the world own and bankroll these clubs is another aspect. I think people understand and accept that football is more or less not very competitive, but when you have nation-state backed clubs winning every season and their cheating is so open and flagrant, then people begin to question whether or not top flight football is worth watching. Fans will continue to watch their clubs every season but the competition itself is becoming less and less interesting.

And now there's news that Newcastle are getting a new Saudi shirt sponsor. I'm sure they will offer a fair value deal with nothing under the table  :lol:

Tamas

England's national sport becoming a dick-measuring contest between Arab princes is an... interesting development.

Admiral Yi

FunkMonk

Gups

Quote from: Tamas on May 24, 2023, 08:54:55 AMEngland's national sport becoming a dick-measuring contest between Arab princes is an... interesting development.
I remember the good old days when it was  just Russian oligarchs.

FunkMonk

Josquius

Next year the balance of the premier league is +1 London area team <_<
██████
██████
██████