News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

PSA: Game Discounts

Started by vinraith, April 28, 2009, 02:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Is it any good? I kinda got Kojima fatigue around Metal Gear V.

Tamas

Quote from: celedhring on December 26, 2022, 02:57:55 AMIs it any good? I kinda got Kojima fatigue around Metal Gear V.

The bug secret of the game is that it is not challenging at all. It pretends to be and it is fun while you believe the ruse. Once you realise the environmental puzzles which are the entire game don't really matter (e.g. you gradually unlock more advanced tools to help with carrying stuff around harder terrain, only to realise you don't need it), it becomes kinda lame. The story itself is of course all kinds of silly.

In fact, story-wise, the only question is whether Kojima is genuinely the most terrible writer ever to achieve commercial success, or he was experimenting to see how much he can get away with and still maintain his fans' adoration.

Josquius

I've heard it's either excellent or utter trash. From what I've heard of the way it works it seems like the kind of experience over gameplay thing that appeals to me so I'm keen to give it a go.

I didn't even get past MGS3 there. Found it too fiddly. MGS5 was the one where it was taken out of his hands and released unfinished right?
██████
██████
██████

Tamas

I liked MGS5 except for the slow and elaborate torture cutscenes, especially the elaborate torture of the bikini-clad sniper lady.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on December 26, 2022, 10:08:34 AMI liked MGS5 except for the slow and elaborate torture cutscenes, especially the elaborate torture of the bikini-clad sniper lady.

Yes, that sounds like it's dated very rapidly; and for the best.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Syt

From what I've seen Death Stranding is one of those experiences where you have to get into the mindset of accepting its premises/clichés and world building without pulling at some of the loose ends too much. Not a bad thing, I think, but I feel going in expecting a tightly woven, meticulously crafted watertight narrative can lead to disappointment. Kojima IMO is less about such stories and more about fever-dream emotional experiences, I guess?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Anyone feeling nostalgic for the old Leisure Suit Larry games, can get them for free by signing up for the Fanatical newsletter and linking Steam account. I remember playing the second one back in the day.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/game/leisure-suit-larry-retro-bundle
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Solmyr

FunkMonk

Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is like 70% (so $12 USD total) off on Steam right now. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on May 09, 2023, 08:55:18 AMPathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is like 70% (so $12 USD total) off on Steam right now. 

Is it any good?

FunkMonk

Quote from: Jacob on May 09, 2023, 07:17:02 PM
Quote from: FunkMonk on May 09, 2023, 08:55:18 AMPathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous is like 70% (so $12 USD total) off on Steam right now. 

Is it any good?

I don't know, I've barely played it  :P

But apparently very highly rated by the Youtuber RPG video game people I follow.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Josquius

Never played the series though I hear good things, but Metro Last Light is free on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on May 19, 2023, 04:56:03 AMNever played the series though I hear good things, but Metro Last Light is free on steam.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/Metro_Last_Light_Complete_Edition/

:hmm: Should I get it now, or wait to see if they will pay me in the future to take it off their hands?

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

Yakuza 0 and the remastered Yakuza 1-6 are currently on GOG for 33.99 for all 7 games.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/yakuza_complete_series

A lot of game for not much money.
—Stephen Jay Gould