News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Youtube Recommendations

Started by mongers, June 10, 2012, 07:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2023, 04:38:44 PM"Hood was pretty much equivalent in size to Bismark"  The dimensions are then discussed after which the historian concludes, "She as designed to be fast and very powerful, best described as an ocean greyhound.  She was designed to be fast and she was designed to be very powerful."

The historians also comment on the fact that the Hood's armour was inadequate to the demands of modern naval warfare because she had not been refitted, like some other ships, after the effects of long range fire were better understood.

The also make the point that her armour disadvantage was compensated by her "very high speed".

So Grumbles, the historians you maligned said exactly the opposite of what you claimed.

You could learn a thing or two by listening to actual historians rather than making snide comments about them.  If anything is laughable, it is that you seem to think you know more than an actual naval historian.

I am not sure why you are vomiting out a bunch of words that have nothing whatsoever to do with any of the points I made, unless it is just more mindless contrarianism.  It is clear that you lack either the patience to read what I wrote, or the intellect to understand it.

Nobody is fooled by you.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

These are much better than they have any right to be. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

For Pacific War fans we have The Bar Room Brawl and The Night of the Giants about the two naval battles of Guadalcanal.  Good use of external historians.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

https://youtu.be/F6rUOOtN2GU

Jordan Peterson describes Vampire: The Masquerade clans.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Crazy_Ivan80

US presidents play hoi4.
how! why?
they're pretty fun though.

////

edit:
the new Maher is also funny
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2Wbf5GR8E&ab_channel=RealTimewithBillMaher

Syt

A series I recently enjoy is Dominic Noble's Lost in Adaptation where he compares movies with the books they're based on.

I wasn't prepared for his initial summary of Watership Down in this video, though. :lol:

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Dom is great, I really like his videos too.  :lol:

He has a really funny "feud" going on with EL James and her whole catalogue.  :ph34r:

viper37

Quote from: Habbaku on February 10, 2023, 07:41:04 PMhttps://youtu.be/F6rUOOtN2GU

Jordan Peterson describes Vampire: The Masquerade clans.
You should check out his latest video about China.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

Something nice and relaxing to watch over dinner. :)

—Stephen Jay Gould

HVC

Matt Whitman

A religious channel, so not for most, but he does interviews with other denominations and shows churches, which as an atheist is the part I like. Mainly I think sheilbh would like it :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

The Pacific War YouTuber guy who did some great videos on Midway and Pearl Harbor has returned (finally)

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Valmy

Those videos just show that:

A. In the Pacific War the Japanese had very little margin for error

and

B. In the Pacific War they committed tons of errors.

So even here when everything goes about as well as it reasonably could and they catch the American carrier force exposed and surprise them: they still fuck it up and lose the battle.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: FunkMonk on April 13, 2023, 10:13:30 AMThe Pacific War YouTuber guy who did some great videos on Midway and Pearl Harbor has returned (finally)

I was just coming here to mention these.  He did make a mistake regarding FJF, though.  FJF left on the day outlined in the plan.  What he did not do was extend the carrier coverage for an extra day, as Turner and Vandergrift wanted.  The latter were culpable in the failure of the amphibs to unload the cargo ships because the Marines assigned to the beach det were far too few, and hundreds of Marines (including Vandergrift) just stood around watching.

I thought that it was interesting that the Marine colonel assigned to Fletcher's staff (the man best-placed to balance the needs of the carriers and the Marines, supported the withdrawal of the carriers when they left.

Fletcher got fucked over by King, and to this day I've not seen any sign that anyone in power ever confronted King on the replacement of the battle-winning Fletcher with the bungling Noyes and then battle-losing Kincaid.

Great videos, though.

Bayraktar!