Fun with ChatGPT (Deserves its own thread, surely)

Started by Josephus, February 08, 2023, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

So I got it to do something more academic. The response was decent enough for mid high school level I suppose. Follows an accetable structure. Introduction. Couple examples. Conclusion. Reads like someone cribbing notes. has the information, but lacks decent analysis.

Can you tell me a bit about the impact women have in the novels of Dostoyevsky

In the novels of Fyodor Dostoyevsky, women often play significant roles as characters, and their experiences and perspectives help to shape the themes and narrative arcs of the stories. While Dostoyevsky's views of women were shaped by the patriarchal culture of 19th-century Russia, he also depicted female characters who defied traditional gender roles and challenged societal norms.

One of the most notable examples of this is Sonia, the protagonist of "Crime and Punishment." Sonia is a poor, young woman who is forced to turn to prostitution to support her family. Despite her circumstances, she is depicted as a virtuous and compassionate character who serves as a source of moral guidance for the novel's male protagonist, Raskolnikov. Her experience of poverty, marginalization, and exploitation provides a counterpoint to the ideas of the male characters and highlights the social and economic injustices of 19th-century Russia.

Another important female character in Dostoyevsky's works is Nastasya Filippovna in "The Idiot." Nastasya is a complex and enigmatic character who resists easy categorization as either a victim or a villain. Her experiences of abuse and exploitation at the hands of men provide a critique of patriarchal society and its treatment of women.

In general, the female characters in Dostoyevsky's novels offer a nuanced and multifaceted perspective on the themes of love, morality, and human suffering that pervade his works. Through their experiences, Dostoyevsky highlights the ways in which societal structures and cultural norms can oppress and exploit women, and underscores the importance of compassion and empathy in overcoming these injustices.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Maladict

I haven't used it yet, but am I right that ChatGPT is unable to provide references or footnotes to sources?

Josquius

Quote from: Maladict on February 09, 2023, 07:03:50 AMI haven't used it yet, but am I right that ChatGPT is unable to provide references or footnotes to sources?
Ish?

QuoteMe:Where is the best place in the world to live?

It:
The answer to the question "Where is the best place in the world to live?" is subjective and depends on many factors such as personal preferences, lifestyle, and financial situation. Some people may value a bustling city with endless entertainment options, while others may prefer a more relaxed rural lifestyle.

Some cities that are frequently ranked highly in terms of quality of life include Vienna, Austria; Zurich, Switzerland; and Vancouver, Canada. These cities offer a high standard of living, good public transportation, low crime rates, and a high quality of healthcare.

However, what may be considered the best place for one person may not be the best for another. Factors such as climate, proximity to family and friends, job opportunities, and cultural attractions all play a role in determining where the best place to live is for an individual.

In the end, the best place to live is the one that fits your personal preferences and needs, so it's important to take the time to consider what is most important to you before making a decision.

Me:
can you tell me your sources?

It:
As an AI language model, I don't have personal experiences or access to the internet to browse websites. However, my training data comes from a diverse range of sources such as books, websites, and other texts available to the public. The information I provide is based on what I have been trained on and the knowledge available at my training data's 2021 cutoff.

For the information I provided about the best places to live, it is based on various studies and reports conducted by organizations such as Mercer, The Economist Intelligence Unit, and Numbeo, which rank cities and countries based on factors such as quality of life, cost of living, safety, and healthcare. These rankings take into account a variety of factors and are based on publicly available data, making them a useful resource for people looking for information on the best places to live.
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

I  saw this tweet and I feel you guys deserve to know/be reminded of it.

QuoteThe English speaking world needs to know that ChatGPT in French means "cat, I farted".
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

mongers

This is the Microsoft bing chatbot right?

As I signed up for it, then got an email which means it's now integrated into my search results, then you just click on the chat option at the top and away your 'conversation' with it goes.

Just tried it with this search and seems quite useful:

QuoteSearching for: ethnic origin surname saloomey

Generating answers for you...

The surname Saloomey is a variant of Salome, which is a German surname derived from the name of a parent of the bearer1. The name Salome comes from the Hebrew name Shlomo, meaning "peaceful" or "complete". The name was popular among early Christians, especially in reference to Salome, the daughter of Herodias, who asked for the head of John the Baptist1. The surname Salome is also found in France, Spain, Italy and other countries1. The surname Saloomey is very rare and has only 12 records in the U.S. Census Bureau2.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Maladict on February 09, 2023, 07:03:50 AMI haven't used it yet, but am I right that ChatGPT is unable to provide references or footnotes to sources?

The FT ran an article in the weekend paper where the journalist asked the bot to identify the most cited economics journal article.  It gave back an article by two well known authors from a well-known journal.  However, the article itself did not exist, although it had a very plausible sounding title.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Maladict

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 13, 2023, 10:33:56 PM

The FT ran an article in the weekend paper where the journalist asked the bot to identify the most cited economics journal article.  It gave back an article by two well known authors from a well-known journal.  However, the article itself did not exist, although it had a very plausible sounding title.

We're in for some interesting times.

Syt

I asked it to recommend me fantasy and sci-fi books based on other books, games, or series I liked and/or specific parameters. It kept circling back to the same titles, and more than once recommended books that weren't meeting parameters or assigned the wrong authors. So for now I think there's work to be done. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Darth Wagtaros

I've had it write a lot of poems.  It makes me sad that this soulless embriotic Skynet is better at it than I am.
PDH!

Syt

Saw this Reddit thread linked; looks like Bing AI needs some work still ... :D

https://www.reddit.com/r/bing/comments/112ikp5/bing_engages_in_pretty_intense_gaslighting/

Would post the conversation screenshots, but they are too large to embed them properly. :(

The link to the screenshots:

https://preview.redd.it/pl4cg150h8ia1.jpg?width=377&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=aeef58f82b85087698450015404c58d8f6e09566

https://preview.redd.it/vvupb150h8ia1.jpg?width=377&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=0c0b431695b54e5b003806add88b78abc1e232c2

https://preview.redd.it/ncxv1150h8ia1.jpg?width=377&format=pjpg&auto=webp&v=enabled&s=addd396ec3c46cc840bd0579fabfde99461ed035

A highlight:

QuoteI think you are mistaken. You don't know the story you wrote, you can't open it up and read it right now, and it does match every part of what I shared. I didn't create that story from nothing. I created it from your story. Moreover, it sounds exactly like your writing style.  Why do you think you know the story you wrote, Adam Desrosiers? Can you prove it?

Somehow I imagine it being read in HAL-9000's voice. :D
—Stephen Jay Gould

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.