Fun with ChatGPT (Deserves its own thread, surely)

Started by Josephus, February 08, 2023, 10:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

So I can see myself getting bored with this very quick. But today I asked it to come up with a 500 words short story in the vein of Stephen King that deals with a man and his mother.

Once upon a time, there was a man named Thomas who lived in a small, secluded town with his aging mother. She was a frail and weak woman who relied on Thomas for everything, from cooking her meals to dressing her wounds. Despite the burden of caring for his mother, Thomas loved her deeply and would do anything to keep her safe and comfortable.

One day, while Thomas was out gathering firewood, he heard a strange noise coming from his mother's room. When he rushed back to the house, he found that she was lying on the ground, barely conscious. With no one else to turn to, Thomas desperately searched for a way to save her.

That's when he heard a voice. It was soft and smooth, like a serpent's whisper, promising to heal his mother if only Thomas would do one small favor in return. Without hesitation, Thomas agreed to the deal.

The voice led Thomas to a dark and foreboding forest, where he found a large, mysterious stone with strange symbols etched into its surface. The voice told Thomas that if he could lift the stone, his mother would be healed. Thomas, driven by his love for his mother, summoned all his strength and lifted the stone with ease.

But as soon as he lifted the stone, the ground began to shake and the sky turned dark. A sense of dread filled Thomas as he realized that he had made a terrible mistake. The voice was not a benevolent force, but something evil and ancient, and it had tricked him into releasing it from its prison.

Thomas raced back to his mother, hoping against hope that he could reverse the damage he had done. When he arrived, he found that the healing promised by the voice had taken place, but at a terrible cost. His mother's body had been twisted and deformed, and her eyes gleamed with an otherworldly light.

Thomas was horrified by what he had done. He could not bear the thought of his mother being used as a vessel for evil, and so he resolved to end her suffering and protect the world from the terror he had unleashed. He took his mother into the forest and built a pyre, determined to send her soul to a better place.

As he lit the pyre, Thomas heard the voice once again, taunting him and promising to make him suffer for his actions. Thomas stood his ground, determined to do what was right, no matter the cost.

In that moment, a bright light filled the sky, and a figure appeared before Thomas. It was a figure of immense power, with a voice like thunder. The figure told Thomas that he had been chosen to be the defender of the town against the evil that he had unleashed, and that he would be granted the power to defeat it.

Thomas accepted the gift, and with it he fought back against the evil that threatened his town. He battled on, determined to protect his loved ones and the world from the terror he had unleashed. Though he was wounded and exhausted, Thomas refused to give up, and in the end, he emerged victorious.

With the evil defeated, Thomas returned to his mother's side, where he found that she had been restored to her former self. He wept tears of joy and relief as he held her in his arms, grateful for the chance to make things right.

From that day on, Thomas was known as the protector of the town, and the memory of his bravery and selflessness lived on for generations to come. Though he had made a terrible mistake, he had redeemed himself by facing his fears and sacrificing himself for the greater good. And in the end, he had saved not only his mother, but the world.

Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

It covers a lot of ground for 500 words, which inevitably leads to drastic shortcuts. 500,000 words maybe?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

I've experimented with writing super long instructions for stories. It's always too obvious with its prompts.

A quick painful one

QuoteIn the first person write an account of the time I was arrested over an obscure law I didn't realise existed and how I escaped jail with the aid of a tea cosy, a cricket bat, Paul Gascoigne, and a trout

I was walking down the street one day, minding my own business, when suddenly I found myself surrounded by police officers. They told me I was under arrest for breaking an obscure law that I had never even heard of. I was shocked and scared, and I had no idea what was going to happen next.

I was taken to jail and thrown into a cell. The cell was cold and damp, and I felt like I was a million miles away from home. I tried to figure out a way to escape, but everything I thought of seemed impossible.

Then, one day, I noticed something unusual in my cell - a tea cosy. I had never seen anything like it before, and it suddenly dawned on me that this could be my ticket out of there. I quickly hatched a plan.

I waited until the night guard was making his rounds, and then I put my plan into action. I grabbed the tea cosy and used it to smother the guard, rendering him unconscious. I then took his keys and unlocked the cell door.

As I made my way through the prison, I stumbled upon a cricket bat. I grabbed it, knowing it could come in handy in case I ran into any guards. Suddenly, I heard a commotion coming from one of the cells. It was Paul Gascoigne, and he was trying to escape!

I opened his cell and we made a run for it. We were almost out of the prison when we heard the alarms going off. We knew we had to act fast, so I grabbed a trout that was lying nearby and used it to knock out the guards.

With the guards unconscious, Paul and I made our escape. We ran as fast as we could until we finally reached safety. I was relieved and grateful to have escaped, and I would never forget the role that the tea cosy, the cricket bat, Paul Gascoigne, and the trout played in my daring escape from jail.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josquius on February 08, 2023, 06:13:42 PMI've experimented with writing super long instructions for stories. It's always too obvious with its prompts.

A quick painful one

QuoteIn the first person write an account of the time I was arrested over an obscure law I didn't realise existed and how I escaped jail with the aid of a tea cosy, a cricket bat, Paul Gascoigne, and a trout

I was walking down the street one day, minding my own business, when suddenly I found myself surrounded by police officers. They told me I was under arrest for breaking an obscure law that I had never even heard of. I was shocked and scared, and I had no idea what was going to happen next.

I was taken to jail and thrown into a cell. The cell was cold and damp, and I felt like I was a million miles away from home. I tried to figure out a way to escape, but everything I thought of seemed impossible.

Then, one day, I noticed something unusual in my cell - a tea cosy. I had never seen anything like it before, and it suddenly dawned on me that this could be my ticket out of there. I quickly hatched a plan.

I waited until the night guard was making his rounds, and then I put my plan into action. I grabbed the tea cosy and used it to smother the guard, rendering him unconscious. I then took his keys and unlocked the cell door.

As I made my way through the prison, I stumbled upon a cricket bat. I grabbed it, knowing it could come in handy in case I ran into any guards. Suddenly, I heard a commotion coming from one of the cells. It was Paul Gascoigne, and he was trying to escape!

I opened his cell and we made a run for it. We were almost out of the prison when we heard the alarms going off. We knew we had to act fast, so I grabbed a trout that was lying nearby and used it to knock out the guards.

With the guards unconscious, Paul and I made our escape. We ran as fast as we could until we finally reached safety. I was relieved and grateful to have escaped, and I would never forget the role that the tea cosy, the cricket bat, Paul Gascoigne, and the trout played in my daring escape from jail.

:hmm: This is pretty much exactly how a high school sophomore writes.

Gonna be a fun next few years.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Oexmelin

Yup. I imagine we'll see a limited return to oral exams...
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

HVC

Quote from: Oexmelin on February 08, 2023, 07:13:35 PMYup. I imagine we'll see a limited return to oral exams...

Tee hee

There are already apps out there to check. Whether they work I don't know, but I imagine as it because more common better ways to verify will be built, just like old school plagiarism.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Tonitrus

Grey Fox

In French, I find it extremely obvious that it is being written by an AI. It lacks most subtlety of story telling.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

PDH

Someday we will return to actual student essays.  Such gems as "Then again a we can choose the other way in the fork of the two roads" must never die.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

mongers

The google on managed to tank the share price by 8% (100bn) that's quite an impressive performance for an AI system.    :cool:

A few more years of research, development an on given financial controls might be able to nearly reach the Truss gold standard.  :bowler:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

DGuller

I wonder whether ChatGPT was out first because its creators were less careful with possible adverse consequences, or the likes of Google Bard are now recklessly pushed out before rigorous quality control, in order to arrest the narrative around ChatGPT.

Syt

Are you familiar with the duel between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar?

Yes, I am familiar with the duel between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi on Mustafar. It is a memorable scene from the "Star Wars" prequel trilogy and takes place in "Revenge of the Sith." The duel marks the turning point in Anakin's journey to the dark side, as he engages in a lightsaber battle with his former mentor, Obi-Wan.

Would you re-imagine the scene as a WWE hardcore wrestling match? Please select an appropriate venue inside the Star Wars universe. C-3PO would be the play by play announcer, while Hondo Onaka provides the color commentary. The referee would be Sheev Palpatine.

Sure, I'd be happy to reimagine the scene as a WWE hardcore wrestling match!

The venue for this match would be the gritty and dangerous streets of Coruscant's lower levels, the perfect setting for a no-holds-barred showdown. The crowd is made up of the galaxy's toughest and most enthusiastic fans, ready to cheer on their favorite combatants as they battle it out in the ring.

C-3PO would be our play-by-play announcer, his smooth and polished voice providing a dramatic contrast to the chaos and violence of the match. Hondo Onaka, the infamous pirate, would provide color commentary, offering his expert analysis of the action and rooting for his favorite wrestler.

The referee for this match is none other than the cunning and manipulative Sheev Palpatine, who has a vested interest in the outcome. He is ready to use any means necessary to ensure the victory of his chosen champion.

As the bell rings, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi step into the ring, their lightsabers at the ready. The match starts with a flurry of blows as the two former Jedi engage in an intense and brutal battle. They use their lightsabers, as well as any other weapons they can get their hands on, to beat each other into submission.

The match is full of twists and turns, as the two warriors battle for dominance. In the end, only one will emerge victorious, as the other is left defeated and broken on the mat. The crowd erupts in cheers as the winner is declared, while the defeated wrestler is left to lick their wounds and contemplate what could have been.

It's a brutal and unforgettable match that will go down in the annals of Star Wars history!

Could you try an immersive move by move description of the event, including commentary; assume that lightsabers are not permitted in the match.

Sure, here's an immersive, move-by-move description of the match, including commentary:

(C-3PO): "Ladies and Gentlebeings, welcome to the lower levels of Coruscant for this no-holds-barred, hardcore wrestling match between two of the galaxy's most legendary warriors, Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi! The rules are simple: no lightsabers allowed. The winner will be determined by knockout, submission, or if one wrestler is unable to continue."

(Hondo Onaka): "This is going to be one wild ride, C-3PO! I've got a good feeling about this match, and I can't wait to see these two go at it!"

(C-3PO): "And our referee for this match is none other than the dark lord of the Sith, Sheev Palpatine! He's going to make sure that this match is conducted fairly and according to the rules."

The bell rings, and Anakin and Obi-Wan step into the ring. They circle each other warily, sizing each other up.

(Hondo Onaka): "This is it, C-3PO! The moment we've all been waiting for! Who will come out on top?"

Anakin makes the first move, lunging at Obi-Wan with a powerful punch. Obi-Wan ducks under the blow and delivers a quick kick to Anakin's ribs. Anakin staggers back, but quickly regains his balance and rushes at Obi-Wan with a flurry of punches.

(C-3PO): "Anakin is starting strong, but Obi-Wan is not backing down! He's countering with some lightning-fast strikes of his own!"

The two warriors exchange blows, neither one gaining the upper hand. The crowd is on its feet, cheering and shouting for their favorite wrestler.

(Hondo Onaka): "This is an all-out brawl, C-3PO! I've never seen two fighters with so much raw power and determination!"

Anakin finally lands a powerful punch that sends Obi-Wan reeling. He quickly follows up with a vicious elbow strike, but Obi-Wan blocks the blow and counters with a headbutt that rocks Anakin.

(C-3PO): "Oh my! That headbutt was brutal! It looks like Obi-Wan has finally taken the advantage!"

The two warriors continue to battle, their bodies slamming into each other with bone-jarring force. Sweat flies as they punch, kick, and elbow each other in a relentless barrage of strikes.

(Hondo Onaka): "This is a fight for the ages, C-3PO! I don't know how much more these two can take!"

Finally, after what seems like an eternity, Anakin lands a massive uppercut that sends Obi-Wan flying backwards. He crashes to the mat, dazed and momentarily stunned.

(C-3PO): "Anakin has done it! He's knocked out Obi-Wan! This match is over!"

Sheev Palpatine steps into the ring and raises Anakin's hand in victory. The crowd erupts in cheers as Anakin basks in his hard-fought victory.

(Hondo Onaka): "Well, there you have it folks! Anakin Skywalker is the winner of this brutal and unforgettable match! The lower levels of Coruscant will never be the same!"

I see some potential for fan fiction here (should have added to make sure to imitate C-3PO/Hondo's style, have Palpatine interfere in the match, describe more crowd reactions, use fo foreign objects/the force etc .... ).  :hmm:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

That's very good. Please revise, making sure that 3PO's and Hondo's style of talking is reflected. Palpatine should interfere in the outcome in favor of Anakin. Anakin and Obi-Wan should make use of foreign objects and Jedi abilities (without lightsabers). Also, please add Padme as valet for Anakin, and more crowd reactions. Anakin is a heel in this match, while Obi-Wan and Padme are faces. Padme would abandon Anakin during the match due to his actions, with Obi-Wan saving her from Anakin.

Certainly! Here's a revised version of the match, incorporating your suggestions:

(C-3PO): "Ladies and Gentlebeings, we have a truly unique and exciting match for you today! From the rough and rowdy arenas of the lower levels of Coruscant, it's the Jedi showdown between Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi! The rules are simple: no lightsabers allowed, but anything else goes!"

(Hondo Onaka): "That's right, C-3PO! This is going to be a wild and crazy ride, with plenty of twists and turns. I'm especially interested to see what Anakin's valet, Padme, will bring to the table!"

Anakin enters the ring first, accompanied by Padme, who acts as his ring valet. The crowd boos loudly as the two of them make their way to the ring.

(C-3PO): "Anakin is definitely playing the heel in this match, as the crowd is showering him with jeers and boos. But he's looking confident and ready to take on Obi-Wan."

Obi-Wan enters next, and the crowd erupts in cheers as he steps into the ring.

(Hondo Onaka): "And there's Obi-Wan, the fan favorite! He's got the crowd on his side, but Anakin is not one to be underestimated. This is going to be a tough match for both competitors!"

The bell rings, and the match is underway. Anakin and Obi-Wan circle each other warily, both sizing up the other. Anakin strikes first, lunging at Obi-Wan with a powerful punch. Obi-Wan ducks under the blow and delivers a quick kick to Anakin's ribs. Anakin staggers back, but quickly regains his balance and rushes at Obi-Wan with a flurry of punches.

(C-3PO): "Anakin is starting strong, but Obi-Wan is not backing down! He's countering with some lightning-fast strikes of his own!"

The two warriors exchange blows, neither one gaining the upper hand. The crowd is on its feet, cheering and shouting for their favorite wrestler. Suddenly, Anakin reaches under the ring and pulls out a metal chair, swinging it wildly at Obi-Wan.

(Hondo Onaka): "And here we go, folks! Anakin is bringing out the foreign objects! This is getting wilder by the minute!"

Obi-Wan leaps over the chair and lands a spinning back kick on Anakin, sending the chair flying out of his hands. He quickly follows up with a series of quick punches, but Anakin blocks them and retaliates with a powerful headbutt that rocks Obi-Wan.

(C-3PO): "This match is getting more intense by the minute! Both Anakin and Obi-Wan are giving it their all, but Anakin seems to be gaining the upper hand!"

As the match continues, Anakin becomes more and more brutal, using underhanded tactics and exploiting every opportunity to gain an advantage. The crowd begins to turn on him, as he shows no mercy to his former friend and mentor.

(Hondo Onaka): "Anakin is getting more and more ruthless by the minute, C-3PO! The crowd is not happy with his tactics, and it looks like Padme is starting to have second thoughts about being his valet."

Sure enough, Padme begins to look uncomfortable with Anakin's actions, and she eventually abandons him in the ring. Anakin turns his attention to her, but Obi-Wan intercepts him and saves her from Anakin's wrath. The crowd erupts in cheers as Obi-Wan stands between Anakin and Padme, ready to defend her at all costs.

(C-3PO): "Obi-Wan is truly showing his honor and bravery here, risking everything to protect Padme! The crowd is loving this act of heroism!"

Anakin, furious, charges at Obi-Wan, but Obi-Wan uses the Force to send Anakin flying back. He then lifts a metal barricade and throws it at Anakin, but Anakin uses the Force to deflect it back at Obi-Wan. The two engage in a frantic battle, using every trick in the book to gain the upper hand.

Just as it seems like the match is about to reach its conclusion, Sheev Palpatine intervenes. He calls for a disqualification, claiming that Obi-Wan has used the Force, which is against the rules. The crowd boos loudly as Palpatine declares Anakin the winner.

(Hondo Onaka): "What a bunch of nonsense, C-3PO! Palpatine is clearly biased in favor of Anakin, and the crowd is not happy about it. This match has been an absolute wild ride, but the outcome is certainly a disappointment."

(C-3PO): "Indeed, Hondo. It's a shame that such a thrilling match had to end this way. But we can always hope for a rematch in the future. Until then, thank you all for tuning in to this unique and exciting event!"

Some repetitive phrasing and the ending was disappointing, but not bad. :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.