News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 26, 2022, 04:56:46 PMAgreed, that needs tweaking.

Sounds like it's possibly a bug, happens to players as well when you force all other participants out of a war you can't offer peace to the last one, have to wait for them to capitulate: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/why-cant-i-propose-a-peace-deal.1550986/

Which is annoying but also hopefully an easy fix.

Syt

Hmm, good question. I just built my things and they would magically fill up, I think.  At least I didn't run into real issues (except in colonies). Though I did get some immigration that might have plugged the gaps.

My assumption is that pops move to more profitable jobs. So if a laborer can earn more elsewhere they will move. And then peasants might move into the vacated spots (if they can earn more there)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Josephus

Another question I came up with. Unlike Vickie 1 (never played II), I can't seem to find out what my pops need. For instance I saw I can import groceries, and when I clicked on the details I saw that all pops like groceries. But how do I know how much to import and how do I know what else is crucial for them to have? I can't seem to find an obvious spreadsheet for that.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Tamas

Quote from: Josephus on October 26, 2022, 05:37:22 PMAnother question I came up with. Unlike Vickie 1 (never played II), I can't seem to find out what my pops need. For instance I saw I can import groceries, and when I clicked on the details I saw that all pops like groceries. But how do I know how much to import and how do I know what else is crucial for them to have? I can't seem to find an obvious spreadsheet for that.

Yeah it's buried a bit.

Go to the population menu on the left side go to the SoL of the strata you want to check, there will be a percentage there telling you how much more they pay than average for the goods they want. That number also has a tool tip which will list you the goods and how expensibe or cheap they are relative to base price. That gives a guide on which goods to focus on, but usually I just keep an eye on the listed "import candidates" on the middle tab of the market screen, to spot what needs addressing.

Habbaku

Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2022, 03:33:44 PMI cracked and bought the game.

I'm working from home so I have no time to actually play but just wanted to take a look - but now I get an error message trying to start it?

Any ideas?

I'm experiencing the same. Until they patch it so that the launcher works, I launch directly from the local exe file.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Barrister

Quote from: Habbaku on October 26, 2022, 07:05:45 PM
Quote from: Barrister on October 26, 2022, 03:33:44 PMI cracked and bought the game.

I'm working from home so I have no time to actually play but just wanted to take a look - but now I get an error message trying to start it?

Any ideas?

I'm experiencing the same. Until they patch it so that the launcher works, I launch directly from the local exe file.

Yeah - I was able to launch going right to the .exe

Man - this is some complicated shit.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

FunkMonk

I'm just a few hours into my very first game. I ignored the tutorial and jumped straight into a sandbox game as Russia with cranked up AI aggression. Figure I'm going to fail anyway so might as well make it interesting.

I'm liking the game so far. Weird borders and diplomacy and warfare jank doesn't really bother me. I think I just put my "Paradox game" hat on whenever I load up one of their games now and bake that into my experience.

The one thing I'm really, really wanting though is more spreadsheets and charts. The UI needs more work.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Fuck you guys. I bought the game lol. Jumped right into Prussia. A few hours in I ruined the economy. Have to be careful when upgrading the construction capacity. Gonna restart. Seems super easy to make Germany. Had made the north Germans before I restarted. Just need to have good relations and a common trade hub and minors ask to join you.  Also attacked Hanover for fun to see how battles work since I was going to scrap the game anyway. War is going to take a while to get used to.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

HVC

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2022, 07:20:44 PMThe one thing I'm really, really wanting though is more spreadsheets and charts. The UI needs more work.

I'm looking for an easy way to see trade balances. As it is I'm just hovering over goods to see my plus minus. There has to be an easier way, but I can't find it. The goods with high demand list in the market screen is useful, but I have to hover to see how much I'm in need of.

*edit* nvm it's the first screen :D
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Minsky Moment

US now in 1860

The bad: ACW never happened. An event turned Henry Clay into abolitionist.  When the Whigs won the 1840 election, the ban slavery law hit high-50s base chance.  Not only was it possible to ban slavery in the US in 1843, the South meekly accepted it and after 10 years of calm, the ACW journal entry expired.  This needs to be fixed.  The ACW event chain is FUBAR

The ugly: I couldn't figure out any way of prying out the historical states from Mexico other than using the regular Diplo Play system.  The first two times, Mexico immediately capitulated, giving me the single state used to generate the play and making wait out the truce period to try again. (you can't fight for added war goals if the war never happened). 

On attempt three, the Canadian (Hudson Bay), Spain and Russia (!) joined Mexico and war ensued.  Russia sent a large expeditionary force of regulars, forcing me to call up the conscripts. 

The good:
Although the diplo outcomes were screwy, the war system itself worked quite well.  I still have a strong recollection of the time I fought the Mexican War in Victoria 2, because of the extreme annoyance factor of breaking up my army into dozens of stacks to play whack-a-mole against small Mexican regiments, weaving in and out and conducting little counter-sieges in high attrition provinces.  Anyone who misses that system needs their head examined.

The Vic 3 system could use better transparency and more system engagement (and will probably get it) but overall it worked nicely creating real interest over what would have been a boring and meaningless stack management exercise in Vic 2.  Even with the REF backing Mexico, I had a big advantage in numbers.  However, mobilizing the conscripts creates a huge economic hit as you lose production on the top line, and those giant conscript armies chew up ungodly amounts of ammo, small arms and explosives.  The war became a tense race over whether I could force a conclusion of the war before hitting my debt limit, while falling back on every fiscal maneuver to staunch the bleeding.  I finally forced capitulation with only weeks of fiscal head room left to spare. The complaint about high casualty numbers is well founded however; the war dead numbers are about an order of magnitude too high (400K for a war that took a bit over a year).

Otherwise: the core gameplay - production, trade, investment, political interactions - is pretty sound for initial release of this level of complexity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

FunkMonk

Yeah. This is probably the most complex game Paradox has ever created and the fact that it actually works is a little astonishing.

It's rough around the edges. Warfare needs more work. Diplomacy needs another system to go along with the diplomatic plays. UI could use a little more work. But overall it's a solid foundation.

But will it get the additional work it needs? :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Syt

Something that's really missing is a list view of your states.

Basically take this information, and put it in a table where I can see all of the info for my states at a glance:

You could make an argument that the opaqueness of the information is adding to the immersion because it leaves you looking at some KPIs, make some changes based on them and otherwise hope for the best. :P
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

celedhring

Creepy baby.

I hate Spanish translations of Paradox games, btw. In Spanish "Heredero aparente" is far from being the same as "Heir Apparent" - it's somebody who has unlawfully claimed an inheritance, presenting himself as the real heir.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 26, 2022, 11:22:01 PMYeah. This is probably the most complex game Paradox has ever created and the fact that it actually works is a little astonishing.

It's rough around the edges. Warfare needs more work. Diplomacy needs another system to go along with the diplomatic plays. UI could use a little more work. But overall it's a solid foundation.

But will it get the additional work it needs? :hmm:

Well, hopefully it's selling crapton of copies, so Paradox will continue to work on it, because there's a fury of reviews and opinions out there that it it a shallow and oversimplified game that true Victoria fans should avoid like the plague  :wacko:  People are weird.

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2022, 01:11:26 AMSomething that's really missing is a list view of your states.

Basically take this information, and put it in a table where I can see all of the info for my states at a glance:

You could make an argument that the opaqueness of the information is adding to the immersion because it leaves you looking at some KPIs, make some changes based on them and otherwise hope for the best. :P

True, actually.  :D But I have always been ok playing games like that, probably a big difference between me and those OCD on-spectrum people online losing their shit that they cannot immediately figure out every little detail just because they played Vic2.

On the region information, there is definitely one somewhere on the left-side menus (plus the Outlier), but it only shows income and costs I think.