And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Habbaku

He said after the Romans, so post-1453.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

I imagine there will be a ton of cultural DLCs. I can already think of three for each of the first three eras we know about.

Archaic - Sumerian, Polynesian, Hittite Empire, 
Classical - Incan Empire, Han China, Etruscan,
Medieval - Song China, Delhi Sultanate, Goryeo Kingdom

Here's a really good article on the game. I quoted the best bit

https://www.pcgamesn.com/humankind/best-culture?amp

HUMANKIND CIVICS AND IDEOLOGY

As you play, you'll get event pop-ups that, as leader of your people, will ask you to make executive decisions that will shape your civilisation's outlook on the world. Some of these are triggered by things you are doing as you play: when I build five military units, I'm asked who should fight for the empire? Conscripts or professional soldiers? Others, though, seem more random, answerable only to the twists of fate that throw us all. A few choice examples: should we follow a solar or lunar calendar? Should scribes, moneylenders, or tithe collectors be the first to apply the radical mathematical concept of 'zero'? And should we use cats or ferrets to hunt the mice infesting our granaries?

Some of these decisions – like the army composition one, as you see in the image above – enable you to pass a law by spending a Civics point, unlocking a permanent buff (conscription means 20% cheaper units, while professionalism means +1 stronger troops), while others, like dividing by zero, steer you down short event chains that might help or hinder your empire on the world map. All decisions will, however, nudge your empire along one of four different sliders that represent your outlook. These are geopolitics (nationalist vs globalist), economics (individualist vs collectivist), politics (authoritarian vs liberal), and culture (traditionalist vs progressive). Each slider confers a buff of some kind, which gets stronger at its extremes: a more authoritarian government gets more FIMS (food, industry, money, science) yields on the capital, while a liberal one gets more FIMS on cities without an administrator – the obvious choice if you're playing 'wide', in strategy parlance.

These systems determine your success in projecting soft power. A 'tall', well-developed civ, with lots of civic buildings, no instability from rapid expansion or conquest, and plenty of investment in influence, will be able to build a powerful culture that'll have a strong impact on its neighbours. The people of rival civs may demand that their leaders adopt laws similar to your own, may rebel against them if they don't, and may resist if they try to go to war against you.

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

The Brain

Is there a cutscene when you divide by zero?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maladict

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 13, 2020, 05:47:30 PM
Quote from: Maladict on July 13, 2020, 02:24:52 PM
That's probably true. In my social circles you'd get savaged over an error like that, Languish often seems like a similar place. But not today, apparently  :)
:lol: I am an utter savage over the classical world. I've read bits and pieces but to be honest I'm just not that interested. I've been to Rome multiple times but I don't think I've ever been to the forum etc :ph34r:

That's commendable. I wish all savages had refrained from going to the forum  :(

Tonitrus

I just assumed that a funny thing happened to Shelf on the way there.  :sleep:

Sheilbh

Let's bomb Russia!

Eddie Teach

Quote from: The Brain on July 13, 2020, 03:54:39 PM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 13, 2020, 03:49:41 PM
Quote from: Syt on July 12, 2020, 02:34:00 PM
I'm surprised that they include Mycenaeans and Greeks, what with one being the successor of the other, for all intents and purposes. They could have added the Hittites or China instead.

Also they seem to conceive of the Mycenaeans as an entirely militarily focused civ - which seems to be based on the presumed association with the Troojan War epic.  I'm not aware of strong evidence to suggest they were more militaristic or militarily effective then say the Hittites or NK Egypt.  I personal think of the Mycenaeans as a trading civ with sophisticated administration for its time and place.

Kim-Hotep?

Also, the Trojan War epic what?

It's commonly known as The Iliad.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

So far for the early modern period we have the Dutch, the Iroquois, Tokugawa Japan, and Joseon Korea.

I'd expect Ming China, the Ottoman Empire, the Mughal Empire and Spain to be there for sure. The remaining two...? An Italian city state to represent the Renaissance? Bourbon France perhaps?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Tamas

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1271140/HUMANKIND__OpenDev/

I am sorry but that is VERY worrying. Such a fairly high profile game and you go "open dev"? That means they are throwing in the towel.

Syt

Quote from: Tamas on July 31, 2020, 07:24:57 AM

I am sorry but that is VERY worrying. Such a fairly high profile game and you go "open dev"? That means they are throwing in the towel.

They've done the same for Endless Space and Endless Legend. It's just how they roll, I guess.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I don't think it's a high profile game at all too.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Zanza

Quote from: Tamas on July 31, 2020, 07:24:57 AM

Some of the greatest software out there is open source... why not a game as well? I wonder if they actually provide the tool chain to build though?

Syt

I think there's some confusion. In the past, open dev for Amplitude just meant that they got the community involved in designing features or what to add to the game. It wasn't the same as being open source. :unsure:

From their website:

QuoteWHAT IS OPENDEV?
OpenDev is our new approach to community-driven game development. It allows you to join the dev team and help shape the game during its production.

Starting June 13th, register and get a chance to get access to 3 time-limited scenarios focusing on specific core features of the game (exploration, tactical battles, basic city management). Each scenario concludes with a game design survey that will help our dev team level-up the game!
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.