News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Humankind - the Civ killer?

Started by Syt, February 06, 2020, 01:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iormlund

Will follow this, thanks.

Big fan of Amplitude. Especially their UI and race design.

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on February 07, 2020, 08:51:54 AM
Yes there are lots to be impressed with in the Endless games, but they all seem to be a bit off. Endless Legend in particular failed to click with me.

Me too.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Zoupa

Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2020, 09:32:39 AM
I hope this is going to inject some competition into this genre.  I feel like Firaxis has been off the boil lately, both with Civ and with XCOM franchises.

Xcom2 was awesome dude.

DGuller

Quote from: Zoupa on February 08, 2020, 08:29:58 PM
Quote from: DGuller on February 07, 2020, 09:32:39 AM
I hope this is going to inject some competition into this genre.  I feel like Firaxis has been off the boil lately, both with Civ and with XCOM franchises.

Xcom2 was awesome dude.
The base game was good, thought not without flaws.  The DLCs were complete shit, though, and took the game in exactly the wrong direction.

Tamas

You are as wrong as a human being can be.

Zoupa

The DLC made for a huge amount of additionnal gameplay for 20 bucks and were also awesome. I don't know what you're smoking  :mad:

DGuller

I guess I'm just a big non-fan of scripted content in XCOM.  I don't view it as a game that you play through once, I view it as a challenging and open-ended game that you go through many times while trying different strategies.  It's more of a Civ type game than a Call of Duty type of game in my mind.  If you're the kind to play through the campaign once and move on, then I can see how your standards may be low enough to find the DLCs acceptable.

Tamas

Quote from: DGuller on February 12, 2020, 03:06:25 PM
I guess I'm just a big non-fan of scripted content in XCOM.  I don't view it as a game that you play through once, I view it as a challenging and open-ended game that you go through many times while trying different strategies.  It's more of a Civ type game than a Call of Duty type of game in my mind.  If you're the kind to play through the campaign once and move on, then I can see how your standards may be low enough to find the DLCs acceptable.

Classic difficulty and ironman. I ended up playing the game a gazillion times trying different strategies and tactics, before I managed to complete it. You are right, I am not sure I'll complete the campaign again, but after well over 200 hours, that's something I can live with.

Zanza

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

DGuller

Nice, I've been waiting for a long time for Civ to come up with the idea of dynamic provinces rather than boring circles.  Real provinces are often very far from being geometrically compact.  Hopefully there will also be mechanics to promote a wide spread of viable province sizes, from German principalities on one end to frozen Russian or Canadian wastelands on the other end.

crazy canuck

I really like the idea of outposts growing into their own cities or becoming part of an expanding city.  I also like the idea of a more direct link between surrounding geography and what can be built.  Lots of great ideas here.

PDH

Outposts in...Civ III (I think)...were one of the only things I liked about that version
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

fromtia

Quote from: PDH on May 25, 2020, 03:01:54 PM
Outposts in...Civ III (I think)...were one of the only things I liked about that version

I liked the unit graphics a lot in 3. The overall visuals were lovely, but the landscape a bit drab.
"Just be nice" - James Dalton, Roadhouse.