News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Off the Record / Re: Scandinavian Thread
Last post by Threviel - Today at 09:58:57 AM
Apparently there's a Nato exercise going on an km-long queues of Nato vehicles in northern Sweden.

https://www.svt.se/nyheter/lokalt/norrbotten/kilometerlanga-nato-konvojer-fardas-langst-vagarna-i-norr

:wub:
Off the Record / Re: Elon Musk: Always A Douche
Last post by HVC - Today at 09:43:53 AM
Ironically quality control will probably go up.

*edit* also, knowing musk, probably his petulant screw you to unions.
Last post by Jacob - Today at 09:39:51 AM
Contracting manufacturing to China sounds like he's trying to treat Tesla like Apple?

Wasn't Musk the guy who said he knows more about manufacturing than anyone alive? Seems a waste to not leverage that competitive edge...
Off the Record / Re: The AI dooooooom thread
Last post by garbon - Today at 09:01:18 AM
It is known that sarcasm has not yet reached America.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by garbon - Today at 09:00:23 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on Today at 08:27:03 AMJust saw on the Guardian that the 14 year old boy who was killed in the Hainault attacks yesterday, Daniel Anjorin, went to the same school as the 19 year old girl, Grace O'Malley-Kumar, who was stabbed in the Nottingham attacks in June last year.

Must be absolutely devastating for that community - you can well imagine there will have been teachers who will have taught both :(

Edit: Incidentally I've seen lots of footage from the Hainualt attack and, I mean, it's terrifying - but I'm a little uncomfortable with the way it's been shared and what's been shared. Nothing gory to be clear - the attack and the guy walking aorund with a sword but I don't know why it just makes me a bit uneasy.

I've found it tasteless as all seems gratuitous and unnecessary what has been shared.
Last post by The Minsky Moment - Today at 08:53:52 AM
Seems plan is to license IP and contract manufacturing to China. Musk concluding that he cannot compete with the Chinese manufacturers and might as well get ahead of the curve. But it assumes the IP has sufficient worth to drive enough value to support the high valuations.
Off the Record / Re: Brexit and the waning days...
Last post by Sheilbh - Today at 08:27:03 AM
Just saw on the Guardian that the 14 year old boy who was killed in the Hainault attacks yesterday, Daniel Anjorin, went to the same school as the 19 year old girl, Grace O'Malley-Kumar, who was stabbed in the Nottingham attacks in June last year.

Must be absolutely devastating for that community - you can well imagine there will have been teachers who will have taught both :(

Edit: Incidentally I've seen lots of footage from the Hainualt attack and, I mean, it's terrifying - but I'm a little uncomfortable with the way it's been shared and what's been shared. Nothing gory to be clear - the attack and the guy walking aorund with a sword but I don't know why it just makes me a bit uneasy.
Quote from: Zanza on April 30, 2024, 04:06:16 PMWhy did all of these cases against him somehow only really start this year as opposed to two or three years ago?

The NYS indictment was brought in March 23, as CC indicates above. And yes Trump has pulled out all stops to delay every step of the way and still is.  A couple hours of trial time was wasted yesterday because Trump insisted on having live witnesses authenticate basic documents of clear provenance like a C-SPAN tape and his own deposition in the E Jean Caroll case. As to the latter, not only have I never experienced in my legal career having a reporter authenticate a depo transcript (out of hundreds of admissions) I've never seen or heard it being done or referenced in any case report I've read. Pure obnoxious time wasting.  It's something you would never see happen because any lawyer that pulls that would piss off the judge, but pissing off judges is an affirmative part of the Trump legal "strategy".

The NYS case was also delayed because a key piece of evidence came from a subpoena to Trump's accountant, and Trump managed to tie up enforcement throughout his entire Presidency until the Supreme Court finally ruled against him near the end of his term.

In the confidential documents case, the crime was not comitted until after Trump left the White House, and then again, the Feds gave him repeated opportunities to come into compliance before resorting to criminal indictment.  And again, he has done everything he can to slow that case down, in that case with the open cooperation of the judge he appointed.

The one case where one can accuse the government of taking its time is the Jan 6 case, because the AG was following the strategy of going from the bottom up. But once the Special Prosecutor was appointed, the case moved extremely fast, until Trump enlisted his friends in the Supreme Court to slow it down.
Gaming HQ / Re: Crusader Kings III
Last post by jimmy olsen - Today at 07:05:22 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 30, 2024, 10:44:18 PMIt's from the new dev diary.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/dev-diary-147-some-words-from-our-game-director.1673686/
Ah, 1178. Interesting, definitely going to play Manuel I Komnenos and Henry Plantagenet with that start date.
Off the Record / Re: The AI dooooooom thread
Last post by Josquius - Today at 06:52:33 AM
Some people have been experimenting with using official corporate approved  AI at work with tasks such as with writing up notes from research.
The results are....less  than impressive. The AI always misses critical nuances.
Like there was one example where somebody asked about the timelines for something, they were told it is planned but we can't give you a timeline yet, and replied "OK right."
The AI's summary?
They're enthusiastic about the lack of timelines.
err....
And this isn't an exceptional case, lots of things like this that can't just be put down to simple explanations like not hearing the sarcasm in a tone.

I'm wondering whether a problem might lie in the AI being trained heavily on American data thus it just completely screws up when faced with other English speakers?- we're speaking the same language so it thinks it can understand...but not really.
Could be quite the great topic for someone in academia I think.

I have noticed however that it does seem to do a better job of cobbling together readable transcripts than most pre-existing tools for this. Though again, the false confidence it displays means where there are errors they are much greater than they would be otherwise.