2024 US Presidential Elections Megathread

Started by Syt, May 25, 2023, 02:23:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Yeah Haley has no chance. Nobody really does so long as Trump is there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

I guess Russian sanctions are not biting hard enough.  :(

Savonarola

Andrew Yang ('memba him?!) endorses Dean Phillips for president

(I'm not sure if that's the real Andrew Yang, or one they stole from Madame Tussauds.)  While this might not look like much of a rally, but it is still better than the one he held where no one showed up.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Savonarola

Quote from: Jacob on January 19, 2024, 01:15:32 PMEndorses who?

Gelato tycoon turned politician:

55 Things You Need to Know about Dean Phillips

Amazingly he agrees with Joe Biden's policy positions even more than Joe Biden does.  It's too bad they never debated:

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Yang is basically just going milk toast conservative trying to get this third party thing going and have traction.

Which isn't how parties get created and have traction, he has to have some kind of position that gets people's attention and actually motivates them to vote against the established parties. That is why the Libertarians just sort of hang around at 2% decade after decade, they are least are radically different than what we currently have. Radically different in a stupid way, but still.

But he couldn't even make a "UBI party" work. So instead he is just allying with centrists and conservatives who don't like the current Republicans because of vibes mostly. That is never going to go anywhere.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

DGuller

Yang is just a professional dilettante, and always has been.  His heart may in the right place, but his head is nowhere to be found.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2024, 02:36:49 PMYang is just a professional dilettante, and always has been.  His heart may in the right place, but his head is nowhere to be found.

He hasn't been a serious person ever since he lost the mayoral election. I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish now.

Savonarola

And I see even here Phillips is overshadowed by Andrew Yang, the man who is endorsing him.  I should have answered Jacob with the Doonesbury line "He's never heard of you either."

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2024, 02:39:38 PM
Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2024, 02:36:49 PMYang is just a professional dilettante, and always has been.  His heart may in the right place, but his head is nowhere to be found.

He hasn't been a serious person ever since he lost the mayoral election. I am not sure what he is trying to accomplish now.
He wasn't serious even before, he was just taken seriously by some.

Zanza

To be fair, Americans elected Donald Trump, so being serious does not seem to be necessary for electoral success.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on January 19, 2024, 04:08:29 PM
Quote from: Valmy on January 19, 2024, 02:39:38 PM

He wasn't serious even before, he was just taken seriously by some.

We had our reasons.

But it's all in the past now.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on January 19, 2024, 04:31:25 PMTo be fair, Americans elected Donald Trump, so being serious does not seem to be necessary for electoral success.
I thought he was serious but not literal? :P
Let's bomb Russia!

Jacob

Quote from: Sheilbh on January 19, 2024, 04:47:54 PM
Quote from: Zanza on January 19, 2024, 04:31:25 PMTo be fair, Americans elected Donald Trump, so being serious does not seem to be necessary for electoral success.
I thought he was serious but not literal? :P

I think he's multi-capable - he's both littoral and deepley deeply out to sea.