War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition: Pricing announced.

Started by Syt, July 19, 2009, 03:37:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2161992

QuoteWe expect AE to be released in the second half of July. The manuals have not yet "landed" but they are currently on schedule to arrive in our warehouse in that same second half of July. As soon as we have confirmation that the manuals are safely in hand, we will release the game. We are very close to gold on the development side, currently we are checking a gold candidate and it looks like the next build will _probably_ be the gold master.

The confirmed pricing for AE will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical, which is $10 less than War in the Pacific. We will also be discounting War in the Pacific for a limited time to coincide with the release of the Admiral's Edition. The goal of this is to make it a bit easier for wargamers who may first hear of WITP/AE because of the AE release announcement to "buy in" if they wish. We recommend that gamers who have not played WITP purchase and try that first before deciding to upgrade to AE.

The Admiral's Edition _requires_ that you own and have installed a copy of War in the Pacific (any version) on the same system where you plan to install AE. If you have not, AE will not install and will not run.

AE does _not_ install on top of WITP, but it requires it to install and run. After you install AE, you will have two separate working games. You can continue playing WITP and any ongoing solo or PBEM games without interruption while firing up AE and getting started with that.

When we are about a week away from release (our best guess) we will release the full AE manual in the Members Club to get you started. This download will only be available to those who have registered their copy of WITP.

Regards,

- Erik

Well, I bought WitP during the last Christmas sale, and while I see a great and huge game there it's not for people like me who have very limited attention spans and therefore not touch the game for weeks, months. So I guess I'll pass up this "bargain" of an expansion.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Habbaku

But if anyone's interested in purchasing the base game, feel free to PM me for a cut-rate price on a physical copy.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

HisMajestyBOB

What does the expansion add?

Not like I'd ever buy it at those prices, I'm just curious. Perhaps if it dropped to $20 for the bundle.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Syt

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on July 19, 2009, 08:24:01 PM
What does the expansion add?

Not like I'd ever buy it at those prices, I'm just curious. Perhaps if it dropped to $20 for the bundle.

The original was released 5 years ago and hasn't gone down in price from 70$ (digital)/80$ (physical) (except during holiday sales). So I guess they'll never release it as bargain.

That said there's a a core group of players on their forums who consider this game the best wargame ever, their best buy in terms of longevity ... but then you have them on many forums. Matrix said on their forums that the expansion is mainly aimed at the enthusiasts who, basically, want more of everything.

The new features:
Quote* An all new 40 nautical mile per hex map [old map was 60 miles/hex] covering the entire Pacific theater and off-map bases
    * Six new scenarios, including a new grand campaign with meticulously researched orders of battle
    * Improved naval operations, including waypoints, mid-ocean intercepts, new ship classes and devises and a greatly improved ship upgrade system, engine vs. system damage, new ship art and realistic new port limits for ships, cargo and repairs
    * Improved air operations, including more realistic CAP, more detailed and realistic dogfighting, an improved pilot skill and replacement system, persistent plane damage and more realistic plane maintenance, improved fog of war, new aircraft art and over 500 airplane types
    * Improved land operations, including transportation networks defined by hex-side, new operations modes for land units, dynamic zone of control, tactical movement, improved fog of war and overstacking rules for atolls and small islands.
    * Improved economy and industry to reflect more realistic operations as well as more historical balance
    * The most historical and detailed order of battle for the Pacific War ever put into a wargame!
    * A new scenario editor, built from the ground up to make scenario and mod-making easier, with expanded slot limits, text search and upgradable unit TO&Es
    * Printed 196 page COLOR manual (boxed copy only)

The game's resolution remains limited to 1024x768, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Jaron

I own WitP , I think from what Ide told me it is a great game..I love the Pacific War, but its just too damn complex for me. It defeats the purpose of what I think a game should be and becomes too much like work. <_<
Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2009, 10:31:54 PMThe game's resolution remains limited to 1024x768, though.

Cry me a fucking river.  The main application I deal with at work has to be launched in 800x600, uses a 32 bit bootstrap because it's a 16-bit program, and uses Access 2.0 for its database.

Jaron

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 20, 2009, 05:12:27 AM
Quote from: Syt on July 19, 2009, 10:31:54 PMThe game's resolution remains limited to 1024x768, though.

Cry me a fucking river.  The main application I deal with at work has to be launched in 800x600, uses a 32 bit bootstrap because it's a 16-bit program, and uses Access 2.0 for its database.

Winner of THE grumbler point.

CountDeMoney

Syt

Thanks for the insight, mono. :)
—Stephen Jay Gould

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Syt on July 20, 2009, 07:12:51 AM

Thanks for the insight, mono. :)

People who bitch about 1024 res piss me off.

Syt

Anyways - pricing model's been changed:
QuoteWar in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition will now be a stand-alone release. It will NOT require War in the Pacific to install or to play. We still recommend that customers interested in Admiral's Edition give WITP a try first. The larger map scale, fewer units and larger number of shorter or smaller scenarios we feel are ideal to mastering the system before you proceed to Admiral's Edition. But if you want to jump right on in to AE, we won't stop you. Go right ahead.

War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition will have a stand-alone price of $79.99 Download / $89.99 Physical.

Starting with the Admiral's Edition release, we will be running a 90 Day "Victory at Sea" sale. This sale will reduce the price of Uncommon Valor and War Plan Orange by $10 and War in the Pacific will be reduced by $20. It will run for three months after the Admiral's Edition release. The goal of this sale is to make these other games in the WITP "series" less expensive for those who might want to test the waters with WITP or complete their collection.

Also, for three months starting with the Admiral's Edition release, we will be offering a discount to existing owners of War in the Pacific. This discount will allow you to purchase the Admiral's Edition for $20 less than its normal stand-alone price. That means that it will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical for WITP owners for three months after the Admiral's Edition release. This is the same price point we discussed earlier. We strongly encourage ALL WITP owners to upgrade during this three month period, after which Admiral's Edition will only be available at the stand-alone price of $79.99 Download / $89.99 Physical.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

grumbler

Quote from: Habbaku on July 20, 2009, 11:19:50 PM
Wow, only $60 for a patch?
:yes: They have discovered that Paradox's method works.  After all, Hearts of Iron was a $50 patch to EU2.  Given inflation, this makes sense.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!