[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The Pride Parade might be canceled in Toronto because of an very likely strike by "outside" city workers. Unions hate the gays.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Valmy

Quote from: HVC on June 19, 2009, 08:32:35 AM
The Pride Parade might be canceled in Toronto because of an very likely strike by "outside" city workers. Unions hate the gays.

Isn't the whole point of the parade to confront homophobia in society?  Cancelling it to avoid martyrdom at the hands of homophobes seems rather counter to that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

HVC

Quote from: Valmy on June 19, 2009, 08:34:46 AM
Quote from: HVC on June 19, 2009, 08:32:35 AM

Isn't the whole point of the parade to confront homophobia in society?  Cancelling it to avoid martyrdom at the hands of homophobes seems rather counter to that.
Sorry, the union isn't striking the parade. It's just that an operational strike by garbage collectors and the like would cause any parade/festival to be canceled.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

garbon

I like that Marty will keep his news to one little irrelevant thread. My recent thread with a [gay] tag was a good idea for the poor sir.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

:p

alfred russel

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM
WARNING: This thread is gay.

Alright. People have been complaining about me starting too many gay threads so.... I decided to start this one.  :cool:

I am going to post gay news here (rather than starting a new thread every time I want to post something), in the similar vein as Tamas has a Hungary politics thread.

I vote to keep making the threads. The number of threads and posts seems to have declined anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on June 19, 2009, 11:21:18 AM
tagging threads "gay" & "straight" now? :bleeding:

No, no. We're only going to tag this one thread [gay] and it will be Marty's little sandbox of gay news. :)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

phew.gif ... I don't wanna see abunch of stupid [tags] on threads. I'd much rather hijack threads that tickle my fancy for turning them gay.
:p

Viking

Quote from: Caliga on June 19, 2009, 05:16:24 AM
I like the idea of a [Gay] tag.  :)

I like it too, good for us guys who don't have Gaydar.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 06:29:54 AM
LOL did the Warsaw Pride have: impact?

You know I kind of doubt it. I get the impression that a lot of things do have impact, but that Pride parades tend to be seen as obnoxious and/or only have positive impact on those already sympathetic. The things that really reach out to change minds IMO are the ones that make it seem like gays are just a normal segment of the population composed of regular people. Which really is the case, right?

People dancing around like Tim Curry in stockings and a boa acting weird makes it seem like these are alien people that can't be understood. The common human first reaction to "outsiders". And in some cases the parade participants really do some things that are meant to be provocative but only translate into offensiveness to the people who ought to be the ones being provoked (into rethinking their ideas, I mean). For those already sympathetic but not part of the celebration, it's a curiosity, it's interesting, but it doesn't really affect opinion.

As a strategy, I think the way Pride parades are generally done is a mistake. Too militant. 
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Agreed, I don't really think pride parades are put on to win hearts. I think they are generally seen as celebrations for the participants, affirming their existence and giving them a chance to celebrate their openness. The ultimate celebration of a transition from fearful, closeted child to showy glitter queen waltzing down main street.

Martinus

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on June 19, 2009, 02:00:22 PM
Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 06:29:54 AM
LOL did the Warsaw Pride have: impact?

You know I kind of doubt it. I get the impression that a lot of things do have impact, but that Pride parades tend to be seen as obnoxious and/or only have positive impact on those already sympathetic. The things that really reach out to change minds IMO are the ones that make it seem like gays are just a normal segment of the population composed of regular people. Which really is the case, right?

People dancing around like Tim Curry in stockings and a boa acting weird makes it seem like these are alien people that can't be understood. The common human first reaction to "outsiders". And in some cases the parade participants really do some things that are meant to be provocative but only translate into offensiveness to the people who ought to be the ones being provoked (into rethinking their ideas, I mean). For those already sympathetic but not part of the celebration, it's a curiosity, it's interesting, but it doesn't really affect opinion.

As a strategy, I think the way Pride parades are generally done is a mistake. Too militant.
Well check out the pictures from the parade I posted in TBR. Polish parades aren't really the SF or Berlin styles - they are mostly people bearing signs. It's more of a political protest than a queer fiesta. :P

Martinus

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2009, 02:09:14 PM
Agreed, I don't really think pride parades are put on to win hearts. I think they are generally seen as celebrations for the participants, affirming their existence and giving them a chance to celebrate their openness. The ultimate celebration of a transition from fearful, closeted child to showy glitter queen waltzing down main street.

Yeah, that's true.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: garbon on June 19, 2009, 02:09:14 PM

Yes exactly. They are for the participants, not for everyone else.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Zanza

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 07:15:43 AM
Well, the Archbishop was talking more along the lines of "I don't oppose" than "I support" but it's still quite a big thing, considering it's Poland and the Catholic church. Precisely he said that:

"If that is not going to lead to [full marriage] then it is a thing to consider. If this would facilitate such things as [inheritance, or joint taxation], then I would be open to this. As long as it does not enter the area of values, such as broadening the definition of marriage, then I do not oppose such things."
That's really all one can reasonably expect from a Catholic bishop. After all, they would compromise their dogma otherwise.

Sounds like a good development for Poland. :)