[Gay] Gay News from Around the Gay World That is Gay

Started by Martinus, June 19, 2009, 04:33:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

WARNING: This thread is gay.

Alright. People have been complaining about me starting too many gay threads so.... I decided to start this one.  :cool:

I am going to post gay news here (rather than starting a new thread every time I want to post something), in the similar vein as Tamas has a Hungary politics thread.

Razgovory

Tamas has a hungry thread?  I never noticed.  Maybe he should just go eat something rather then post about it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Martinus

Ok, so a minor piece of news but kinda surprising.

Within two days of each other (and during the week following Warsaw pride), two conservative public figures announced their support for civil unions.

First, the conservative Polish ex-prime minister (who got the biggest number of votes in Poland during the EP elections and is now being considered for the new European Parliament's speaker) said that while he does not support gay marriage, he is for civil unions, with joint taxation and inheritance for gay couples; and then (more surprisingly) pretty much the same was said by the Catholic Archbishop of Warsaw (until now the church opposed any forms of legal recognition for same sex couples).

LOL did the Warsaw Pride have: impact?

Josquius

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 06:29:54 AM
First, the conservative Polish ex-prime minister (who got the biggest number of votes in Poland during the EP elections and is now being considered for the new European Parliament's speaker) said that while he does not support gay marriage, he is for civil unions, with joint taxation and inheritance for gay couples; and then (more surprisingly) pretty much the same was said by the Catholic Archbishop of Warsaw (until now the church opposed any forms of legal recognition for same sex couples).

:blink:
When did Poland suddenly stop being uber conservative central?
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Well, the Archbishop was talking more along the lines of "I don't oppose" than "I support" but it's still quite a big thing, considering it's Poland and the Catholic church. Precisely he said that:

"If that is not going to lead to [full marriage] then it is a thing to consider. If this would facilitate such things as [inheritance, or joint taxation], then I would be open to this. As long as it does not enter the area of values, such as broadening the definition of marriage, then I do not oppose such things."

Martinus

Also, we got a support of the conservative Ombudsman (he was nominated by the PiS government) for introduction of sexual and gender identity minorities as protected groups to Polish anti-hate-speech laws.

Right now we only have protection against discrimination in employment etc., but there is no hate speech protection.

Grey Fox

Now that he has his own thread he star talking about issues in his own Country. :rolleyes:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

Quote from: Grey Fox on June 19, 2009, 07:20:28 AM
Now that he has his own thread he star talking about issues in his own Country. :rolleyes:
Well, that's pretty much true. As you can see these are not articles I could post and are rather minor news items, so it would be weird to start a new thread every time something like this comes up, no?

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

LOL apparently now PiS wants to go the Lithuanian way and ban "promotion of homosexuality" in Poland. I hope they fail.  <_<

Neil

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 07:59:50 AM
LOL apparently now PiS wants to go the Lithuanian way and ban "promotion of homosexuality" in Poland. I hope they fail.  <_<
I hope they succeed.  Let's face it, homosexuals aren't very sympathetic.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on June 19, 2009, 07:15:43 AM
Well, the Archbishop was talking more along the lines of "I don't oppose" than "I support" but it's still quite a big thing, considering it's Poland and the Catholic church. Precisely he said that:

"If that is not going to lead to [full marriage] then it is a thing to consider. If this would facilitate such things as [inheritance, or joint taxation], then I would be open to this. As long as it does not enter the area of values, such as broadening the definition of marriage, then I do not oppose such things."

If I was in his shoes I would do the same thing.  Establishing Civil Unions is really the only way they can stop gays getting marriage in the long term.  All conservatives with half a brain would work towards them.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."