News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 12:45:35 AM
I thought they did.  A new PC game cost about 40 odd bucks back '98.  Now they cost nearly 60.  Course with Steam, you can get them a lot cheaper.

Not over here. Top shelf PC games cost between 80 and 120 German Marks and they cost 40-60€ now (DM => € is roughly 2:1). NES and SNES games could cost up to 140 DM, now 70 €.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Grey Fox

I thought they did.  A new PC game cost about 40 odd bucks back '98.  Now they cost nearly 60.  Course with Steam, you can get them a lot cheaper.

The Rise of Nations box previously mentioned has a price tag : 69.99$
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Habbaku on November 22, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
You do know what inflation is, right?  They don't "cost the same" at all.

I know what gouging the customer to maximize profit in exchange for a product of lesser quality is.

$49.99 for a PC game in 1989 with maps, overlays, books and posters versus $54.99 for an empty box and a .pdf in 2009.   Some inflation.

Josephus

I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for all that extra shit. And who actually prints out an 80-page manual?
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Syt

Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2012, 09:01:56 AM
I wouldn't mind paying a bit more for all that extra shit. And who actually prints out an 80-page manual?

People with access to high volume laser printers and binding equipment at work.

Only did that for War in the East, though.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2012, 07:24:49 AM

The Rise of Nations box previously mentioned has a price tag : 69.99$

I remember buying Starcraft new for less then 50, and not thinking it out of the ordinary.  I also remember thinking they were cheaper then console games at the time.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Habbaku

Tim Stone over at RPS seems to enjoy Commander : the Great War.  Might have to give it a shot.   :hmm:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/the-flare-path-a-hextasy-of-fumbling/#more-132989
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

The Brain

I dunno. What does Jim Stone say about it?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Minsky Moment

The economic reality of the game industry now is effective price discrimination.
The big fans willing to spend more are hooked with special limited edition blah blah blah and pay over retail.  The enthusiasts buy on release and pay full retail.  Those willing to wait 1+ years can get a nice fat discount through steam, etc. and pay a fraction what one used to pay in the old days.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on November 25, 2012, 01:01:25 PM
Tim Stone over at RPS seems to enjoy Commander : the Great War.  Might have to give it a shot.   :hmm:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/the-flare-path-a-hextasy-of-fumbling/#more-132989

its quite good yes. I have doubts about replayability though. Like, since I couldn't be bothered with the stupid submarine mechanics, USA never got close to joining in against me.

Also, Entente AI I think never ever does amphib landings against Turkey, not even in Mesopotamia. So while upon Turkish entry you get hit with a totally unhistorical British zergrush through the Sinai, you can stop it by moving all Turkish units there.
Also Russia seem to ignore the Caucasus unless you make a move. I had a game where it launched a counter offensive, and I had two where it remained passive.

Otherwise the fronts work mostly historical I guess.

Sooo... I highly recommend it for something like playing one game to completition per side, maybe for PBEM.

Habbaku

Yeah, I've never been concerned with AI in wargames aside from the EU stuff and its ilk.  PBEM is infinitely more fun and challenging.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

I thought it looked interesting until I saw a screenshot that looked like units were pretty generic with the rather old and tired PG 1-10 strength points thing, rather than representing actually military units (corps, divisions,armies, whatever).
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Tamas

Quote from: Habbaku on November 27, 2012, 03:47:54 PM
Yeah, I've never been concerned with AI in wargames aside from the EU stuff and its ilk.  PBEM is infinitely more fun and challenging.

Right, except that it is more cumbersome than just sitting down for a relaxing single player session.

Habbaku

Yeah, why go in search of girls when you can just stay home and jerk off?

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned