And we're back!

Main Menu

The Miscellaneous PC & vidya Games Thread

Started by Syt, June 26, 2012, 12:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drakken

Quote from: Tamas on November 16, 2012, 09:02:40 AM
oh ha-ha! Do not blame me for the inability of the others here.  :sleep:

They pretend to be hard core strategy gamers, but then fail at grasping anything more realistic than HoI :P

I still have WW1 Gold, and I kind of liked it. However my grasp of the game mechanics is rather poor. As the provinces are cut on the map on the Western Front I was incapable to stop the Germans to reach Paris and block them even if I divided my French Corps to make a picket line; they'd just go around if I kept them together, or pounced into them if I separated them.

Unless it's supposed to be so, and the "Taxis de La Marne" triggers as an Event. :(

Playing the Russians, however, I can manage better at sacrificing moujiks to save the Motherland.

Tamas

Capturing a god damn machine gun nest on a hill without any grenades or heavy support? First day of Gallipoli apparently sucked.

Drakken

Now you gave me the World War One itch, you Hungarian motherfucker.  :licklips:

So Commander : The Great War ot Strategic Command : World War 1? Or should I replug AGEOD's WW1 Gold? The World Wonders...

Tamas

Quote from: Drakken on November 16, 2012, 02:40:59 PM
Now you gave me the World War One itch, you Hungarian motherfucker.  :licklips:

So Commander : The Great War ot Strategic Command : World War 1? Or should I replug AGEOD's WW1 Gold? The World Wonders...

Well you already have WW1 Gold. Fire it up, see if you can tackle it now. Just make sure to apply the latest patch:
http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/3rdParty/WW1%20GOLD/Patches/WW1_Patch_v1.0.8q.exe

If you still don't like, I am leaning toward suggesting Commander: The Great War. I like it better than SC at the moment, altough can still be the "newness" feeling.

Tamas

BTW, with these latest patches, the turn-based AI in WW1G is supposed to be as active as with the standard mode.

Turn-based mode should help your France problem via interceptions. You can slow the enemy stack down by intercepting with a minimal force. Unless they Overrun you, their movement is halted, apart from possible Breakthrough with Reserves.

Tamas

:lol: goddamn

I started a campaign in the tactical WW1 game, about a South African unit going against the Dendvil or whatever Forest at the Somme Offensive. With these campaigns, while you can play on if you end with a defeat, but there is a specific officer representing you. If he dies, campaign ends. With a lot of scenarios in some campaigns, that can be a bitch.

No problem like that here though. My guy fell just short of the German trench due to the miss-shot of a friendly mortar, on the 2nd turn of the first scenario.  :pinch:

Syt

Dunno, the John Tiller squad battle games kinda lost me when I was unable to crack Iraqi bunkers with a repeated barrage from M1 tanks.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Still, what really ticks me off about JT games is that with all his years of experience his AI still sucks donkey balls. His single player scenarios are usually stacked hilariously against the player, making them more puzzle games than tactical challenges. And whenever the AI would be required to do something actively it fails. Be it attempting to cross a river (not easy, but at least bring some troops near, and not piecemeal!) or even approach the victory locations (as happened in some Pike & Musket scenarios to me where I won battles by clicking "end turn" and not doing anything else).

It's a real shame, because he covers some very interesting and underrepresented eras (France '14, Leipzig 1813, 16th century etc.).
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tamas

Last time I tried his operational games, the AI was braindead yes. But they are okay in the Squad Battles. Altough like with most AIs, it's better if you are on the attack against it.

What I was wondering about in case of the WW1 game is all the pinning of my attacking troops. I mean, this is realistic for all I know, but damn it's hard to mount a proper assault. Though I guess the "I need big masses of troops to overwhelm the dug-in enemy but then the troops can be executed and pinned en masse" is kind of a historical problem for stuff like the late 1914 battle I was trying.

And of course my problem with every large-scale tactical scenarios, be it Squad Battles or Combat Mission is the tedium of moving all those troops. :P

Still, a very interesting topic seems to have been done well. And it's not like you can cherry-pick from WW1 tactical games. :)

mongers

Quote from: Tamas on November 18, 2012, 04:09:02 AM
Last time I tried his operational games, the AI was braindead yes. But they are okay in the Squad Battles. Altough like with most AIs, it's better if you are on the attack against it.

What I was wondering about in case of the WW1 game is all the pinning of my attacking troops. I mean, this is realistic for all I know, but damn it's hard to mount a proper assault. Though I guess the "I need big masses of troops to overwhelm the dug-in enemy but then the troops can be executed and pinned en masse" is kind of a historical problem for stuff like the late 1914 battle I was trying.

And of course my problem with every large-scale tactical scenarios, be it Squad Battles or Combat Mission is the tedium of moving all those troops. :P

Still, a very interesting topic seems to have been done well. And it's not like you can cherry-pick from WW1 tactical games. :)

So is it better or worse than WW1 Gold ?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Tamas

Ok, I am getting interested in the Cold War game being done on the HoI3 engine. There, I said it.

http://www.avault.com/features/paradox-strategy-tour/?page=3

PDH

I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

And now for a game that is actually good. Imperialism released on GOG for $6.  :cool: :cool:

http://www.gog.com/gamecard/imperialism
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.