News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Europa Universalis IV announced

Started by Octavian, August 10, 2012, 10:05:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Syt on August 10, 2012, 10:21:19 AM
Seriously, I would really like to seem them try something new for a change and not "[Existing Game] n+1".

I completely disagree. Some of the best games on the market come from companies that have mastered the development of 3-5 "flagship" games and now release new more enjoyable iterations.

Blizzard has WoW (where, due to the nature of MMORPGs, expansions could be considered really new game iterations), Starcraft and Diablo. There are games like Sims, Civilization, Drago Age, Fable, etc.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Syt

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2012, 02:09:11 AM
Seriously, I would really like to seem them try something new for a change and not "[Existing Game] n+1".

I completely disagree. Some of the best games on the market come from companies that have mastered the development of 3-5 "flagship" games and now release new more enjoyable iterations.

Blizzard has WoW (where, due to the nature of MMORPGs, expansions could be considered really new game iterations), Starcraft and Diablo. There are games like Sims, Civilization, Drago Age, Fable, etc.

You, sir, are why we can't have nice things.

Enabler.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

Well, I'd rather Paradox release a new Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings every 3-4 years. :P

But yeah I'm excited for EU4. I was actually thinking recently it would be fun to play EU3 again but some of it has become quite obsolete.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

HisMajestyBOB

I like some of the ideas, and some/many are long overdue. But, I rarely play EU3 these days, and have time for CK2 only occasionally. I'll probably pass on this until I get a new computer and the first couple of major DLCs/patches are released and on sale.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Phillip V

Quote from: Martinus on August 11, 2012, 03:28:20 AM
I was actually thinking recently it would be fun to play EU3 again but some of it has become quite obsolete.
Which parts?

Habbaku

Judging from the dev's commentary on the EUIV forum, they are going to be trying to make naval stuff more important, especially with regards to trade. :cheers:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

frunk

Paradox has always had a lot of trouble getting the naval element of their games right.

garbon

Quote from: frunk on August 11, 2012, 04:13:38 PM
Paradox has always had a lot of trouble getting the naval element of their games right.

:yes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

dps

I simply don't understand their insistance that AI naval units not be subject to attrition, because the AI wouldn't be able to handle it.  First of all, it seems an incredibly simple think tocheck for--just have code in there somewhere that says, in effect, for each fleet at sea,  "If:  attrition > 50%  Then:  return to nearest friendly port".  It can't be that hard to code something that straightforward.  It doesn't have to be 50%, of course--something like 70% might be better.  Heck, deciding what value would be best to use probably should be harder than actually coding  it.   

Second, the AI in EUI and EUII couldn't really handle land attrition, either, and that didn't keep their armies from being subject to it.

viper37

I remember I was really excited when I first read their announcement of Victoria, or Hearts of Iron or Snowball developing Crusader Kings; even EU: Rome.

Now every announcement leaves me "meh, figured as much" even if the end product is fantastic (like CK2).
they War of the Roses, I think...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

garbon

Is there something about Quebec that makes its inhabitants bring up irrelevant examples? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

And that's a surprise because . . . ?

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.