And we're back!

Main Menu

Path of Exile - upcoming F2P Daiablo clone

Started by Syt, September 08, 2011, 12:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Lengthy preview (half hour):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8779Ff_qoc

Currently in closed beta, invites are given randomly every half hour or so. Looks rather nifty. Won't be pay2win, supposedly, most stuff you can buy will be vanity items (clothes/armor etc.).

http://www.pathofexile.com/
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Kleves

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

JonasSalk

I watched TotalBiscuit's video a few days ago and liked what I saw, so I just made an account. C'monnnnnn, beta key!
Yuman

Razgovory

Quote from: Kleves on September 08, 2011, 04:38:55 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on September 08, 2011, 10:17:30 AM
Diablo always made my wrist hurt.
:yeahright:

Clicky Clickity Click Click.  If I use a mouse pad without one of those ergonomic hand wrests my whole hand hurts now.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Razgovory

JonasSalk

It's a love map. Of skills.

BTW will I get an email if I'm accepted into the beta?
Yuman

Lucidor

It looks like one of those skill maps drawn by the aliens in a South American desert.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 09, 2011, 06:29:46 AM
Those are a lot of skills.

They promis 100 character levels, and all parts of the tree are open to anyone, so you could create almost any kind of character you like between the classical archetypes (caster, warrior, archer).
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I feel overwhelmed. I just want to kill shit.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

LaCroix

two and a half questions-

1) can you choose to pvp almost anywhere, without the other player's consent
2) is there a hardcore mode where one's character is forever gone upon death
2.5) can you have lowish level players teleport into the middle of a mass mob of high level monsters a safe area in the zone you've created for them?

if the answer is no to two of three of these questions, then i'm afraid this diablo-like clone may have little appeal :(

Syt

Not sure about 1/2.5; also seems PvP isn't in the beta build yet. For 2: there's a "hardcore" server. If a player character dies there it gets "demoted" to the default server, and you can choose to play it there or re-roll a hardcore char. Sounds like a good compromise to me.
—Stephen Jay Gould

LaCroix

eh.. i don't know. the whole point is to cause tears, tears in those who are tricked or ganked. the developers of diablo 2 almost seemed to have thrown in pvp as an afterthought, but it defined the entire (online) game. people didn't sit around hosting trade-game after trade-game looking for the best equipment so they could kill baal for the 500(0? 00?)th time. those that stuck around, the real community, pvp'd. people didn't do mephisto runs just for the hell of it. they did it for the gear, the gear they could use to kill others.

pve in mmorpgs work because they're not hack n' slash. there are bosses/zones/whatever that require coordinated efforts to take down/successfully complete. in diablo-clones, pvp is a must, and complete and only fair pvp is a joke that cannot be respected. this is why diablo 3 will suck--the real-money auction house that will ruin the in-game economy is only rotten icing on the already burnt cake