News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What are you listening to?

Started by The Brain, March 10, 2009, 12:32:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

John Martyn - Solid Air (1973)

The title track was written for Martyn's friend Nick Drake; the album does sound something like a tribute to Drake (though nowhere near as bleak as "Pink Moon.")  It's eclectic, pushing Martyn's folk music into jazz and blues territory; but undeniably mellow.   
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3q15kN5EIs

The Castellows.  Pure eye candy somewhat interesting bluegrass based country.

Jacob

Was that every confederate state + West Virginia, or did they leave out one?

Admiral Yi

Dude, I don't pay any attention to what they're saying.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2023, 10:21:54 PMDude, I don't pay any attention to what they're saying.

:lol:

Fair play. You even said that up front.

Savonarola

Iggy Pop and the Stooges - Raw Power (1973)

If you're going to go out, go out with a bang; Iggy's performance is both brilliant and unhinged.  The original mix (done by David Bowie) is muddy; but it was done with a minimal budget.  The 2023 mix is much cleaner; but even the Bowie mix is raw and exciting.  I was going to write "Why were the Sex Pistols such a big deal?  The Stooges were every bit as raw and as loud and they were much better musicians (admittedly that was beside the point)", but then I re-listened to Neil Young's "Rust Never Sleeps."  You could say the same thing about Nirvana and Neil Young, but there was nearly a generation of kids who had never heard "Rust Never Sleeps" when "Nevermind" was released.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Josephus

Trevor Rabin --Rio (2023)

Holy shit, this is good.
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Listening to Cowboys Fringants at the moment. RIP Karl Tremblay.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Jacob on November 16, 2023, 01:57:31 AMListening to Cowboys Fringants at the moment. RIP Karl Tremblay.

Well that's surprising.

:cry:
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwvRhaYCOOw

Just learned Diesel was Dutch.  One hit wonder, charted in the 70s in the US.

Josephus

Trans Siberian Orchestra...Lost Christmas Eve.
If not now...when?
Civis Romanus Sum

Savonarola

John Cale - Paris 1919 (1973)

I had found this album on some "Greatest Album Ever Made" list or other, after hearing it I had to look up to make sure that it was the same John Cale as the Velvet Undergound's electric violist.  It was indeed, while I'm familiar with Cale's avant-garde work, the fact that he made a baroque pop album I found mind blowing.

He doesn't have the range of the BeeGees (and he doesn't have anyone to harmonize with) but a number of compositions on this are excellent.  It's too bad we're all too old for a college dorm room bull session; as this would be the crowd to analyze the lyrics to the title track with.

Savonarola

Todd Rundgren A Wizard, A True Star (1973)

Todd had been hailed as the male Carole King with the success of Something/Anything?  This follow up album is in a decidedly different direction.  Rundgren had been using hallucinogens and (according to him) this album reflects that, where songs don't really begin or end conventionally they just occur (going into a medley of I'm So Proud/Ooh Baby Baby/La La Means I Love You/Cool Jerk at one point and a rendition of Never Never Land from the musical Peter Pan at another.)

There are no singles on the album, though the anthemic "Just One Victory" sounds like it could have been one.  The album wasn't a commercial success, but he had been so successful as a producer that he could do what he wanted in the studio and not be overly concerned about it.  This isn't going to be for everyone, but I liked it.  It reminds me of some of the weirder Beach Boy experimentation.

Savonarola

In happy news; I've made it all the way to Christmas Eve and still haven't heard "Last Christmas" by Wham! this year.  While I may be jinxing myself, I'm just going to go ahead and declare that I've won Christmas.   :)