What does a BIDEN Presidency look like?

Started by Caliga, November 07, 2020, 12:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

The Minsky Moment

It's like an Onion story.  GOP conference nominates random guy that happened to be standing around the lobby.  "Mike Johnson"  because "John Smith" was not available.  When asked for comment the new Speaker's mother responded, "I'm sorry, who are we talking about?"
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Barrister

Quote from: Josquius on October 25, 2023, 02:20:19 PMSo he's from the lunatic wing?

Depends how you define "lunatic wing".

So he's not from the House Freedom Caucus, which contains the most crazy members.

But he did vote to not recognize the 2020 election, is against aid to Ukraine, is in favour of a national abortion ban, etc.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Sheilbh

It is all very much relative.

For me the 2020 election and recognising states votes is the key. I think if they're voting against that, they're outside democratic politics. So it's enough to know that.
Let's bomb Russia!

HisMajestyBOB

Quote from: Barrister on October 25, 2023, 02:49:05 PM
Quote from: Josquius on October 25, 2023, 02:20:19 PMSo he's from the lunatic wing?

Depends how you define "lunatic wing".

So he's not from the House Freedom Caucus, which contains the most crazy members.

But he did vote to not recognize the 2020 election, is against aid to Ukraine, is in favour of a national abortion ban, etc.

So a modern mainstream Republican.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Grey Fox

He's a lot like the previous one but different enough that Pedophile Matt Gaetz doesn't hate him yet.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on October 25, 2023, 03:33:46 PMHe's a lot like the previous one but different enough that Pedophile Matt Gaetz doesn't hate him yet.

It seems pretty clear the last 3 weeks or so were driven far more by personal animus than by any policy distinctions between Republicans.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 25, 2023, 12:55:22 PMWell, looks like a government shutdown is inevitable next month. Can't see a MAGA-written budget passing the Senate.

I will enjoy my likely months-long furlough I guess.

It's an absurd situation.  The GOP holdouts wanted to elect a Chair so that the business of government could be attended to, and so they elect a Chair who will likely not conduct the business of government.

Oof

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2023, 01:15:42 PMIt's an absurd situation.  The GOP holdouts wanted to elect a Chair so that the business of government could be attended to, and so they elect a Chair who will likely not conduct the business of government.

Oof

I guess they decided that being unable to conduct the business of government by having a Chair who doesn't want to conduct it is better than not conducting becuase they're unable to elect a Chair.

FunkMonk

They said themselves that they were tired of looking like clowns because they couldn't vote for a designated Speaker. Now they're just back to looking like assholes trying to destroy the country.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

HVC

Yeah but now they can pawn it off in the dems being ineffectual rather then them just being a roadblock and the foxers will believe them.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Jacob

Quote from: HVC on October 27, 2023, 01:25:37 PMYeah but now they can pawn it off in the dems being ineffectual rather then them just being a roadblock and the foxers will believe them.

Exactly. Which is why it's the preferable situation.

Sheilbh

No poll this far out is worth anything yadda yadda. But still :blink: :huh:
QuoteAlex Seitz-Wald
@aseitzwald
New Quinnipiac Poll with some big 👀 on RFK Jr.: 
- Biden 39%
- Trump 36%
- RFK Jr. 22%

Kennedy has a plurality of independent voters (!!!): 36% for RFK Jr., 31% for Trump, 30% Biden.

Also not representative just a cross tab (like the independent voters - who I've always viewed suspiciously <_<).....But.....

Edit: Incidentally that's a similar voting pattern for Trump - peaking in working years -  with Biden doing best among the over 65s which is a bit like the patter in a few European countries for the radical right and establishment parties.

Maybe polarisation by age is just a British thing not even happening in the US too :hmm:
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi