And we're back!

Main Menu

2022 Midterm Election MEGATHREAD

Started by Admiral Yi, November 05, 2022, 07:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoupa

The Larch

The Larch

Back to midterm news, apparently Herschel Walker doesn't even live in Georgia...

QuoteHerschel Walker claims Texas home as primary residence

Herschel Walker, the Republican running for a U.S. Senate seat in Georgia, has continued to claim his Tarrant County home as his primary residence — potentially breaking both Texas tax laws and some Georgia rules on establishing residency for the purpose of voting or running for office, according to CNN.

Jacob

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 29, 2022, 01:57:51 AMWoops, Cochise County.

Yeah, technically if they really didn't count the votes from that county the safe Republican victor in that district would lose to the Democrat. I don't know the specific process in each of the States, but there are typically legal machinations a combination of the courts and the State government can use to basically run over these local certifying committees if they become truly recalcitrant.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on November 29, 2022, 06:54:06 PMYeah, technically if they really didn't count the votes from that county the safe Republican victor in that district would lose to the Democrat. I don't know the specific process in each of the States, but there are typically legal machinations a combination of the courts and the State government can use to basically run over these local certifying committees if they become truly recalcitrant.

I looked it up and Cochise is split between Congressional district 6 and 7.  In 6 the Republican is up by 5,000 so it could swing it I guess.  7 is deep blue and the Democrat is winning by a bunch.

I trust you are right that "the system" will straighten things out.  I just don't recall that ever happening before.  I remember there was a crazy chick in Michigan in 2020 who talked about not certifying but she eventually backed down.

Admiral Yi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4A98tS_98

Now I've seen it.  Judge orders Cochise County board to certify.  They do.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on December 01, 2022, 08:41:46 PMhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG4A98tS_98

Now I've seen it.  Judge orders Cochise County board to certify.  They do.

Well, half of the intransigents appear in court and the same half boycott the certification vote.

As you would expect from these antidemocracy fucks, they were not refusing to certify because they thought that the election they were to certify had any faults.  They were doing it to express their personal opposition to another, Democratic county, certifying its votes.

Hope to see them get at least a few days' worth of jail time and a criminal record that prevents them from ever holding office in the state again.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Herschel up by 46K with 41% reporting.

OttoVonBismarck

Stat guys are starting to call it for Warnock based on locations that have reported and the margins thus far.

Valmy

Warnock is going to win easily. I didn't have much anxiety about this one. Huge to have a 51-49. This means we only need 49 Democratic Senators to pass anything.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2022, 10:07:18 PMWarnock is going to win easily. I didn't have much anxiety about this one. Huge to have a 51-49. This means we only need 49 Democratic Senators to pass anything.
50.7% - 49.3%.
Not exactly a stunning victory.

I mean, considering the kind of guy he was facing.  Had Warnock faced a semi-decent Republican he might as well lost that run off election.  This is not that encouraging for Dems, imho.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

OttoVonBismarck

I mean Georgia has been a Republican stronghold for about 15 years and now it has two Democrat Senators.

FunkMonk

Quote from: viper37 on December 06, 2022, 10:58:31 PM
Quote from: Valmy on December 06, 2022, 10:07:18 PMWarnock is going to win easily. I didn't have much anxiety about this one. Huge to have a 51-49. This means we only need 49 Democratic Senators to pass anything.
50.7% - 49.3%.
Not exactly a stunning victory.

I mean, considering the kind of guy he was facing.  Had Warnock faced a semi-decent Republican he might as well lost that run off election.  This is not that encouraging for Dems, imho.

:hmm:

This is an extremely ignorant post. 
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.