News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The everything miniatures wargaming thread

Started by The Brain, April 07, 2009, 02:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

I've had some Sengoku models from Perry lying around a few years, and I decided to paint some of them. These are some military guys. I don't plan to paint a 28mm samurai army or anything, but a few figures for skirmishing is nice.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Caliga

Here's some of the work I've done on the Mansions of Madness 2E minis.

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Sophie Scholl

Nice work, both of you! Brain, I'd love to see you have some type of absolutely madcap game where all of your various painted armies and units square off.  :lol:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

grumbler

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 21, 2022, 11:08:35 PMNice work, both of you! Brain, I'd love to see you have some type of absolutely madcap game where all of your various painted armies and units square off.  :lol:

Dungeons and Starships 3rd Edition?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2022, 10:43:18 PMHere's some of the work I've done on the Mansions of Madness 2E minis.

Awesome work, Cal! They look really nice and clean. :cheers:

What paints do you use?

The Brain

Quote from: Sophie Scholl on November 21, 2022, 11:08:35 PMNice work, both of you! Brain, I'd love to see you have some type of absolutely madcap game where all of your various painted armies and units square off.  :lol:

:D Yeah that would be awesome. Not sure who would win. :hmm:

Sophie Scholl

The Great Warhammer of the Roses: Lord of the Samurai?  :wacko:
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

Syt

Quote from: The Brain on November 21, 2022, 05:31:31 PMI've had some Sengoku models from Perry lying around a few years, and I decided to paint some of them. These are some military guys. I don't plan to paint a 28mm samurai army or anything, but a few figures for skirmishing is nice.

Is that Latrine on the left? :D

Looking awesome as usual.  :cool:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Latrine transcends mundane matters like time and space.  :cool:

Caliga

Quote from: The Brain on November 22, 2022, 02:14:06 AM
Quote from: Caliga on November 21, 2022, 10:43:18 PMHere's some of the work I've done on the Mansions of Madness 2E minis.

Awesome work, Cal! They look really nice and clean. :cheers:

What paints do you use?
Most of my paints are cheapo CraftSmart acrylics that I get at Michael's (craft store chain we have here in the US).  I like those because, besides the low price, they have a little nub in the cap that I can cram my tiniest detail brushes into, which means I don't need to put them onto a palette and waste any paint.

I have a few Citadel paints but I HATE the Citadel pots, so I try to avoid using them.

I also have a bunch of Vallejo Game Wash bottles, and I do really like those.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

The Brain

Some ninja. IIRC the earliest known illustration of a classic black-clad ninja is from the early 19th century, and I'm not sure what Sengoku sources actually say about ninja costumes. But regardless, not having these guys would feel wrong. Obviously this kind of outfit was only used for certain types of mission, more commonly ninja would be in disguise, which is great for a hobbyist since any model can be a ninja this way.

The Brain

Some more guys. When I primed these some years ago I used the framework of the Ronin rules from Osprey, and made some starter warbands for the different factions. IIRC these guys are an Ikko-Ikki warband. No individual model is tied to any one faction though, historically an individual could drift between peasant/Ikko-Ikki/bandit/ashigaru as time and circumstances required.

The Brain

Sophie Scholl

Those are fun models! Definitely some character to them and a unique feel.

The Brain

Yeah, the Perrys are great. I like metals like these for skirmish stuff, they are all individuals. And you don't need a lot of assembly.

Some warrior monks. The stock image of the medieval warrior monk that emerged in the 18th century is pretty much the guy on the left only with the addition of japanese clogs. Reality was a lot more varied, and I doubt they wore clogs in combat. So AFAICT these sculpts seem reasonably historical.