News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Have I been just lucky, or laws always pass on the third try? 35%, 19%, on third attempt it succeeds.

Tamas

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2022, 12:49:15 PMHave I been just lucky, or laws always pass on the third try? 35%, 19%, on third attempt it succeeds.

And of course as soon as I post this the game proves me wrong. :P

Sheilbh

Quote from: Tamas on October 28, 2022, 12:49:15 PMHave I been just lucky, or laws always pass on the third try? 35%, 19%, on third attempt it succeeds.
Lucky <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

Crazy_Ivan80

I wonder what would happen in a scenario where there's basically no infrastructure in the world. Every pop on subsistence, start from zero. Might be an interesting clusterfuck that...

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2022, 09:38:42 AM(That said, in my game, the US, after losing a war against Mexico, decided to start a play to cut the British East India Company down to size. Britain now owns Plymouth, MA as a treaty port. :lol: )

Making it Plymouth is just trolling.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

It's 1885 I have wealth voting and racial segregation now which helped most notably by letting me recruit enough officers to upgrade the military to Skirmish.

But its kind of neat that since 2/3rd of my population is still politically inactive, thanks to wealth voting the Industrialists have become almost as big Clout leaders as the Aristocracy used to be, and now effectively block further political progress because they can't be arsed and the Intelligentsia's Clout just wouldn't grow, I need to keep bolstering them to keep them afloat around mid-tier.

Other big winners are the Armed Forces, for a decade or so I was suppressing them but I don't have that spare authority anymore so they are now second behind the Industrialists.

Effectively, although they have more laws that they like, the Intelligentsia had a much higher Clout when it was a proper autocracy and I could use the higher authority to supress everyone else of note.

Syt

In my game its 1886. I have Italy (except Two Sicilies), Sweden and Egypt in my market. Egypt recently became my protectorate and I work towards building the Suez Canal. I'm working on outlawing any dissent, and I'm still fully autocrat. Landowners are down to 5.3% influence. Industrialists and Armed Forces are sitting at 30 and 27 percent respectively. I suppress the workers, but they're still creeping up on 10%.

My economy is doing reasonably well ...

however, I have been overly aggressive, increasing my army from 270 to 360 in only a few years - it's trench infantry, shrapnel arty, and field hospitals.The upkeep is sending me deep into the red. And I haven't really expanded my navy yet (it's on monitors and torpedo boats). I may have to downsize the troops again, or raise taxes, but I already have 20% of lower and middle strata and 60% of higher strata below their expected Standards of Living, so not sure that's a wise move ...  :ph34r:

One thing that's really annoying is the lack of coastal provinces as A-H (unless you want to expand), limiting your convoys quite a bit. Thankfully, a fair amount of land based routes are available, too.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 28, 2022, 03:07:51 PM
Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2022, 09:38:42 AM(That said, in my game, the US, after losing a war against Mexico, decided to start a play to cut the British East India Company down to size. Britain now owns Plymouth, MA as a treaty port. :lol: )

Making it Plymouth is just trolling.

Dunno, I think it looks funny. :D

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Oh, and what's the advantage of buildings being publicly traded instead of privately owned? It seems it increases capitalist jobs, but doesn't that mean more people draw income out of the building and thus lower the building's profits and cash reserves? :unsure:
—Stephen Jay Gould

Tamas

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2022, 04:15:54 PMOh, and what's the advantage of buildings being publicly traded instead of privately owned? It seems it increases capitalist jobs, but doesn't that mean more people draw income out of the building and thus lower the building's profits and cash reserves? :unsure:

I think so, I remember reading something about that in the forum. I wonder if its maybe a good idea if you are like a low tax income country with laisez faire, and maybe this way you can build a bigger construction pot?

Tamas

Just realised: modding white peace acceptance chance to super-high while clearly saved me from neverending wars in the world, was a bad idea overall.

My confusion was that I thought "no demand on either side" means that both sides have stopped pushing their wargoals. But no, in this game you can offer a peace treaty with wargoals pushed on both sides (e.g. you take AND give territory at the same time). and so with my modification if one side offered such a deal, it was accepted no matter what.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 28, 2022, 04:15:54 PMOh, and what's the advantage of buildings being publicly traded instead of privately owned? It seems it increases capitalist jobs, but doesn't that mean more people draw income out of the building and thus lower the building's profits and cash reserves? :unsure:

Big increase in your investment pool.  Really allows you to leverage construction.  Downside is that there is a double dissent hit when the building fires workers. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

HVC

Germany is now fully formed after I challenged Austria over cultural domination and they backed down. Also got a puppet Luxembourg. Problem now is my radicals are skyrocketing. Over half the increase are from people losing their jobs, but all workplaces are firing away. Not sure how they're losing their jobs. Turmoil is starting to spread.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

FunkMonk

So as Russia I accepted a trade agreement with China. Years go by without me noticing that they're importing tons of stuff from me. I only notice because I'm annoyed that clothes are still so expensive even after I build a ton of textile mills. Turns out the Chinese keep buying my clothes and jack the price up.

I decide maybe I should end the trade agreement and start taking advantage of tariffs. My income immediately skyrockets from running a zero balance to hundreds of thousands of pounds. And the Chinese keep buying my stuff. They're hooked on all my beautiful Russian goods, not just the clothes they were buying by the thousands. 

Within a couple years my cash reserves are full because I can't spend all my income fast enough, even after jacking up wages and lowering taxes  :lol:

My income is balanced now after building a ton of construction so I can build more things simultaneously. Thank you, oh Great Qing, for doubling my GDP in a few years and for laying the groundwork for my massive industrialization.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Teddy Roosevelt, leader of the Industrialist faction, became a convinced feminist, and succeeded in passing the women's suffrage law.  But he he didn't win the Presidency.  James Longstreet, OTOH, served as President for many years, after a successful career in the US Army (the ACW having never occurred).
--Joan Robinson