News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Victoria 3

Started by Syt, May 21, 2021, 01:46:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solmyr

Btw, one of the best changes is that you can now use mods and still get achievements. And there are a lot of good mods already popping up on the workshop.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2022, 08:26:33 AMFrom the files of "why is this not explained somewhere"?

Thanks, very helpful.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

crazy canuck

It's easy to spot the folks who didn't do the introductory tutorial  :)

The differing information depending on level of zoom is one of the first things they covered.

The problem here is I think people thinking that because they are veterans of Paradox games, just skimming through those first few screens.

I agree they should probably have emphasized it a bit more, but really - it was right there.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2022, 09:03:21 AM
Quote from: Syt on October 27, 2022, 08:34:22 AMI knew about the map list and the "bottom menu" (thanks to the tutorial video), but I had missed the extra details when selecting the menu options on the left (usually because I often play zoomed out for one item, zoomed in for another, and frequently have them closed when I don't need them. :lol:

There's a few ways to get that information actually. The way I normally do it is with the lenses in the bottom row combined with the level of zoom on the map. It's what I learned in the tutorial play through in the game.

One thing that seems common with the haters is that they seem to assume that because they don't have access to the spreadsheets that were in Victoria 2,
that this game is more simplistic.  But in fact, this game is more complex and is therefore not reducible to a simple spreadsheet which shows all information. The interactions are much more complex than the previous games.

That's true, but I think many of them were going to hate on it anyway. It's not a remaster of their favorite game.

It's simply a much better game  :lol:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

FunkMonk

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2022, 01:30:57 PMIt's easy to spot the folks who didn't do the introductory tutorial  :)

The differing information depending on level of zoom is one of the first things they covered.

The problem here is I think people thinking that because they are veterans of Paradox games, just skimming through those first few screens.

I agree they should probably have emphasized it a bit more, but really - it was right there.

Tutorials are for nerds
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 27, 2022, 01:30:57 PMIt's easy to spot the folks who didn't do the introductory tutorial  :)

Guilty as charged
I did follow all the dev diaries (including the UX) and the video "tutorials" so figured I could skim.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: FunkMonk on October 27, 2022, 02:06:29 PMTutorials are for nerds

... if that was true then everyone on languish would do them.

crazy canuck

I out nerded  everybody on languish. Now I can die happy. 

The Minsky Moment

Minor issues:

France's pop grows too fast.  By 1870 up to 50 million (compared to 60M for Russia).  I understand they don't want to do country hard codes but France's slow demographics during the 19th century was an undeniable fact that had very significant political consequences.  So it should be modelled somehow.

I checked out the Polish Jews.  They are retaining Ashkenazi culture but converting to Orthodox Christianity en masse.  That's not right.

There is a bug where if you assign a general or admiral on an expedition, even after the expedition ends, you can't mobilize them and their assigned troops.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Want to force a country into a custom's union?  Just bankroll them and wait.  Eventually an obligation will trigger.  Seems exploity.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 27, 2022, 05:59:43 PMWant to force a country into a custom's union?  Just bankroll them and wait.  Eventually an obligation will trigger.  Seems exploity.

Yes I think bankrolling is quite exploity based on OPB videos, I haven't tried it myself.

Valmy

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 27, 2022, 05:56:42 PMMinor issues:

France's pop grows too fast.  By 1870 up to 50 million (compared to 60M for Russia).  I understand they don't want to do country hard codes but France's slow demographics during the 19th century was an undeniable fact that had very significant political consequences.  So it should be modelled somehow.

I checked out the Polish Jews.  They are retaining Ashkenazi culture but converting to Orthodox Christianity en masse.  That's not right.

There is a bug where if you assign a general or admiral on an expedition, even after the expedition ends, you can't mobilize them and their assigned troops.

In HoI4 they had a special "France sucks" debuff you had to overcome. Maybe they can do that same in Vicky3.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Richard Hakluyt

Maybe start France off with a contraception malus that can be removed by empowering the catholic church  :P

Tamas

"if there are no wargoals pressed on either side"

That means that the number of war goals pressed is zero both on side A and side B, am I reading that right?

I was really irked by the neverending suicidal AI wars so I created a mini-mod using the defines file.

I have made it half as important to have a big treasury (for peace desire calculations) and double as important to have turmoil. Most importantly, I massively increased the weight of the above consideration to white peace out.

I think I am noticing a difference. I am sure it results in some wars given up that shouldn't but I am not even sure why this condition wouldn't be an auto peace - if you have given up on asking anything, and the enemy has given up on asking anything, then why continue?

I have also tried to drastically reduce the random factor of war goal selection in plays, this have not resulted in any better Egypt plays against Ottomans :P and I have seen Russia force Egypt to give them Crete, so I am not sure that did anything.

Otherwise I am rather enjoying my Austria run, even though I am sure I am playing sub-optimally. Prussia was less like a berserker this time around and took until the mid-1850s before they started their mad rush to annex everything German by force. I have lost a war against them even with Russia on my side, since the Prussians had Skirmish infantry and me only line.

I actually enjoyed the war, although its a bit awkward to handle at times, so if you are coming at it already frustrated that its not your usual Army Men play mat, then I imagine you can quickly build up a rage at having to learn a new system and its weird things.

The one oddity which did frustrate me is that I finally had one good attack going because I rolled a surprise event for myself, but then when the slider filled out with what I thought was my victory (since the bar reached the Prussian end), the battle was a defeat...

Also, maybe I am just stupid to be afraid of a little revolution and civil war, but I am totally locked into the old autocratic ways by a super-strong Aristocrat (purple windmill) IG. I am actually keeping them in the government to have high authority which I then spend on propping up the intellectuals and keeping down the armed forces and the church. This way I am slowly chipping away at the aristocrat Clout but the are still a few percentage stronger than the next two combined (its 1862).

The economy is doing... ok? I am pretty sure there could be a LOT more min-maxing done, but its keeping me afloat.

I just recently reduced the level of police force (that gives clout to the aristocrats anyhow so weaker is better for me) so I could spend admin on increasing the education level, because I am still warned that I don't have the literacy/skill whatever to staff the Skirmish Infantry level barrack update I desperately need.

Oh, one possible effect of me un-randomising the war goal selection is that Britain is on an absolute anti-slavery rampage. Even tried (but I think failed) to force the US into abolishing it.  :D

Tamas

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 28, 2022, 05:16:50 AMMaybe start France off with a contraception malus that can be removed by empowering the catholic church  :P

I fairly often see message of some of my nationalities (also in the Sweden game) leaving for some France colony or even France proper. I think that population boom is from mass immigration not births.